dollardime

Mudcrutch 2016 tour concert clips and footage

WOW!!! Look at THIS! :o...any chance of 'King Of The Hill' tonight? Roger & Tom almost too respectful of each other to take the vocal leads here....but still.....Roger Mcguinn on stage with Mudcrutch!  

"Lover of the Bayou" - Mudcrutch with Roger McGuinn at Webster Hall NYC 6/10/16 The Byrds cover

2 hours ago, dollardime said:

WOW!!! Look at THIS! :o...any chance of 'King Of The Hill' tonight? Roger & Tom almost too respectful of each other to take the vocal leads here....but still.....Roger Mcguinn on stage with Mudcrutch!  

"Lover of the Bayou" - Mudcrutch with Roger McGuinn at Webster Hall NYC 6/10/16 The Byrds cover

OMG!  Nurk should have gone to NY!  What a thrill!

Mike signs autographs in silence here. :) These are the same autograph hunter type guys in the other autograph clips, they have a youtube channel dedicated to all their autograph collecting stuff it appears...I think Mike might have been a bit more talkative if it was more of a genuine fan type of experience looking for just a couple of things to be signed....i don't know...maybe he was contemplating the chords for the couple of songs Mudcrutch would be doing with Roger McGuinn later on.... looks like these guys brought half the record store vinyl with them...

Oh my.. that is so cool with Roger. Would have been the BEST to have seen that in person.. For Lover of The Bayou he sure looks/seems/sounds a bit lost, but for the rest of it.. and his very presence.. I´m in awe. Great, great, great guest to have for these guys! Incredible! 

Work has kept me away from here for a while, so have about a months footage to catch up on...:) The Stephen Stills footage that has surfaced has really grabbed my attention. What I love about it is that in many ways it is rough and ready type stuff...it's not polished to within an inch of it's life...polished is a great quality too, but the improvised vibe is what makes the Stills footage and indeed the earlier McGuinn footage such a source of enjoyment for me. This clip is a great example....Mike the co-captain takes over the pilots seat from Tom here and directs operations off the cuff...whispering into Stills ear about what was going to happen...Tom just chills out on the bass as 'just another bass guy playing in a band'...except it's Tom Petty....but you know what I mean....and the smiles from everyone...having a great time on the stage and no sign of Free Fallin to be seen! :D

The start here reminds me of High In The Morning from Mojo...

Is this note perfect, vocal pitch perfect...all words correct and present.....answer is no and that is not what you would associate with Tom Petty when he's on stage, expecially over the last number of years...and thats what in so many ways makes it so captivating and brilliant....it's great musicians winging it and making a lot of magic happen as a result. I'm pleased for all those Farmers here who got to see this type of stuff in person this tour, I know you guys will have appreciated it, just as I am now in catching up with the second half of tour now!

And Tom...what did you stop that jam at the end that was just getting going...i always think the jamming ends too soon though..not in the 'don't bore us, get to the chorus brigade....great stuff!

2 hours ago, dollardime said:

Work has kept me away from here for a while, so have about a months footage to catch up on...:) The Stephen Stills footage that has surfaced has really grabbed my attention. What I love about it is that in many ways it is rough and ready type stuff...it's not polished to within an inch of it's life...polished is a great quality too, but the improvised vibe is what makes the Stills footage and indeed the earlier McGuinn footage such a source of enjoyment for me. This clip is a great example....Mike the co-captain takes over the pilots seat from Tom here and directs operations off the cuff...whispering into Stills ear about what was going to happen...Tom just chills out on the bass as 'just another bass guy playing in a band'...except it's Tom Petty....but you know what I mean....and the smiles from everyone...having a great time on the stage and no sign of Free Fallin to be seen! :D

The start here reminds me of High In The Morning from Mojo...

Is this note perfect, vocal pitch perfect...all words correct and present.....answer is no and that is not what you would associate with Tom Petty when he's on stage, expecially over the last number of years...and thats what in so many ways makes it so captivating and brilliant....it's great musicians winging it and making a lot of magic happen as a result. I'm pleased for all those Farmers here who got to see this type of stuff in person this tour, I know you guys will have appreciated it, just as I am now in catching up with the second half of tour now!

And Tom...what did you stop that jam at the end that was just getting going...i always think the jamming ends too soon though..not in the 'don't bore us, get to the chorus brigade....great stuff!

Awesomeness!!! Thank you for posting it here!

Something else I find really striking is how the band seem to have really settled into a deep pocket groove in the second half of the tour, there is to my ears anyway a perceptible difference in the dynamics of the performances in the second half of the tour from the first half of the tour...almost as if they relaxed into it more as the tour went on! I love these long trips on Crystal River! :) If it gets better than this, then I've not seen it....very interesting to see Steve Ferrone here shaking a tambourine beside Benmont, there's a couple of minutes in this clip where you can watch the hands of both Steve and Randall which is fascinating....you can tell that they have different drumming styles/approaches just by watching their hands...really intriguing stuff I thought. Speaking of Randall, for me he really grew and relaxed into the role as the tour went on, he seemed to be able to find a way to express himself more in his drum licks as the tour progressed...Tom and or Mike don't seem to want too much 'flash' from drummers down the years so it's a delicate balancing act in serving the needs of the captain and co-captain while also carving a niche for yourself as a drummer..I think Randall achieved this distinction very well as the tour went on. There is to my ears anyway a definate change in the second half of the tour to the first half of the tour in the band sound, it's almost a contridiction to say that the band simultaneously got tighter and more relaxed in the second half of the tour...but thats the best way I can describe it. There's a lot of nuance and changing flavours going on as the tour progresses in terms of feel and vibe even if the set list has indeed remained constant. In twenty or thirty years down the road I will still be coming back to this footage, it is indeed rare buried treasure! :) Stephen Stills is a great guest artist fit for Mudcrutch...he fits right into the vibe in my view, great to see!

Benmont gets assertive here when Tom gets into a bit of scripted 'play the piano' mode on Crystal River...he plays the piano the way he wants to play it in that moment for a few bars which is interesting to see on a lot of levels and indeed hear of course.....these Crystal River versions never disappoint, Randall cuts loose here for a bit too! As someone who has never seen Mudcrutch live, but the Heartbreakers many times, these unscripted variations are a real additional thrill I have to say! Benmont should get assertive in  a few Heartbreakers shows for a few songs like he is here...would love to hear and see the results. As I'm catching up on these clips from the second half of the tour I can't help but be reminded of when Rick Rubin noted that ''in many ways what these guys do is a dying art'' in the RDAD documentary.....with Mudcrutch you can add even more extra gravitas to that quote. In may ways like a lot of other things in life, it's only when they're gone that they'll be fully appreciated...although I believe that Farmers here have a head start on everyone else in that regard! :)