Sign in to follow this  
dollardime

Out & About - Tom Petty songs - which songs and where you heard them!

Wow, what a wonderful refreshing surprise to turn the dial on the radio and up pops of all songs Running Man's Bible on Rte radio 1 in Ireland last night. Dire Straits / Mark Knofler type tones is what I hear echos of on that one! This after hearing Learning to Fly earlier yesterday morning. ☺

It was funny - I was in the car the other day and I had Greatest Hits on and RDAD was just finishing up; then when I ejected the disc and the radio came on they were playing "Free Fallin.'"

They're everywhere, man! :lol:

I've been hearing "Runnin' Down A Dream" on a new commercial.  Not Tom and the Heartbreakers version, but that song.  This seems to be a departure from the past. I wonder if they can do that without permission if it's a different artist performing it.

1 minute ago, TomFest said:

I've been hearing "Runnin' Down A Dream" on a new commercial.  Not Tom and the Heartbreakers version, but that song.  This seems to be a departure from the past. I wonder if they can do that without permission if it's a different artist performing it.

I wouldn't think so .Tom was against using songs in commercials. But now that he's not around, I guess whoever owns his songs now can do what they want.

still hoping to hear the new song on the radio in Boston.  If they are playing it I'm missing it.  Its to the point I'm almost mad to hear his old songs on the radio.... almost, any Petty is better than no Petty after all but I have little tolerance for the radio in general and usually have my ipod playing.  

I stopped in at Grocery Outlet this evening, so I exited my car after listening to various songs from You're Gonna Get It and walked inside to the strains of "I Won't Back Down."

my wife just got a new to her car and it came with a trial for Sirius radio so we are enjoying TPR for the time being.  We were listening to that and my kid asked us to change to regular radio and we found Refugee on one of her presets so we left it on that station instead. :) 

still haven't heard Keep a little soul on regular radio in the boston area :( 

On 8/27/2018 at 12:14 PM, Hoodoo Man said:

still haven't heard Keep a little soul on regular radio in the boston area :(

For what it matters, this week I borrowed a phone to request it on a local station. My speech is pretty garbled though and I guess they couldn't understand.

They played "Here Comes My Girl."

Well at least they had some Petty on hand. I myself never listen to the local radio.

When I was young, I watched MTV just to see Tom's videos and used cassette tapes to record the songs on the radio. I remember requesting songs and 9 times out of 10 they didn't get around to it (one incident, they wouldn't play TPATH at High School dance) 

On another note I heard Free Fallin' at IHOP and the waitress was belting it out along with the song ... ruined the listening, but I loved the enthusiasm! 

A band busking on Grafton Street Dublin Ireland played Running Down A Dream in the Sunday sunshine, started just as I was passing at the end of work so I stopped and listened. A very decent version too. A myriad of memories flashed across my mind of having being there to hear it live in concert, brought a smile to my face, a tear to my eye and a lump to my throat as I raised my head twards the sky. Memories.......☺

On the way to work, the morning zoo-type show I listen to was playing "You Wreck Me" as they related stories of wrecking/breaking brand-new items (i.e. cars, electronics, etc.).

Out in the Cold on Dublin City 103.2fm, sounded great on my kitchen radio! ☺ I'm kinda surprised this one didn't appear live more often down the years...up tempo fast rockin song that would resonate so well in those big shed arenas, the type of song that would mix up the latter years mid tempo groove in the set list. Oh Well.......guess I'll just have to make up my own heavy Petty setlist! ☺