Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Changing Mojo's track listing

Every so often a group will release an album with a sequencing I don't care for. Having gone through different phases with Mojo based on the public perception of the album before giving it a fair chance, I think it could actually be one of their better records overall, which is a view I'm quite surprised to have.

However, that's after dropping some songs and adding Little Girl Blues.

Mojo for me is now a bluesy-rock lead guitar driven record with a much better flow.

Each side has its own distinct vibe; the first side having a somewhat more midtempo pace but with enough grit to keep it from becoming drowsy. The second side is more rollicking, ending with Tom's powerful and emotional vocal over wistful music. 

It's unlike anything else they've done, with longer song lengths and emphasis on Mike's guitar playing. It's blues influenced, but also a bit psychedelic and swampy and a good forerunner to Hypnotic Eye. 

First Flash sets the mood, it's long, and heavy and lets the listener know they're in for something different. Running Man takes the same idea but kicks it up in tempo. Pirate's Cove goes in another direction all together, a very moody, dreamy piece of music. Should Have Known It is a return to the blues-rock and Good Enough circles back to First Flash with a heavy groove. 

The second side takes the same idea but now channels it through more uptempo rollicking songs, yet each one has enough differences to remain distinct from each other with Something Good Coming bringing every thing to a close with an emotional vocal and some gentle playing.

Turn the record over and First Flash starts it up again. 

First Flash of Freedom
Running Man's Bible
The Trip to Pirate's Cove
I Should Have Known It
Good Enough

Little Girl Blues
U.S. 41
Let Yourself Go
High in the Morning
Something Good Coming

The more I listen to this sequencing, the more I appreciate this record. Trip to Pirate's Cove is a shimmering song, I don't think it's like anything else they've ever done. High in the Morning has that bluesy feel yet something about the song moves it beyond a typical blues jam. Something Good Coming is one of the most heartfelt songs they've ever recorded. A very enjoyable listen and to think it's at this point in their career! 

It's a good precursor to Hypnotic Eye, one can really hear the transition from one to the other; like they took the experience from recording Mojo and put it into a  straight rock-n-roll album.

cheers

I have reason to cry over no reason to cry being taken off your track listing. :) A great song in my view.

I would put Something Good Coming at the end of Side 1 as a precursor to the good things coming on side 2 and put No Reason To Cry as the closing track on side 2.

I would put Don't Pull Me Over for the opening track as a complete wild card mind bender for the listener.....it would get the listener going 'whats this'? ...'Tom Petty does reggae'? I love DPME for the very reason that is so different from other styles the band have done, unique....i also love the video done for the song.  Another I'd love to hear live, it would get a great reaction I think, especially in certain states too for obvious reasons!  

I can certainly appreciate your reasoning on the other aspects....an interesting take on Mojo. 

Edited by dollardime

I would put Don't Pull Me Over for the opening track as a complete wild card mind bender for the listener.....it would get the listener going 'whats this'? ...'Tom Petty does reggae'? I love DPME for the very reason that is so different from other styles the band have done, unique....i also love the video done for the song.  Another I'd love to hear live, it would get a great reaction I think, especially in certain states too for obvious reasons!

"Don't Pull Me Over" was my wife and daughter's favorite song on the record.  I like it a lot too, for some of the reasons you've mentioned.  The other one I like, and my band covers it sometimes, is "Candy".  Seems really simple, but it's got a great groove and people dance to it.  

I have reason to cry over no reason to cry being taken off your track listing. :) A great song in my view.

I love DPME for the very reason that is so different from other styles the band have done, unique....i also love the video done for the song.  Another I'd love to hear live, it would get a great reaction I think, especially in certain states too for obvious reasons!  

I can certainly appreciate your reasoning on the other aspects....an interesting take on Mojo. 

That's funny about the crying.

While I respect Tom doing something different and am in favor of him trying new things (let's say a techno TPATH song) I didn't like DPMO at all. It comes across as someone listening to Bob Marley's Greatest Hits and giving it a go.

What I find interesting is how  much my opinion of his record evolved, and my enjoyment of certain songs grew. And the sounds on this record, the guitars, bass, drums...it all sounds so crisp and powerful. A nice thick yet clean sound. I'm glad Mike was able to stretch out on this and give the listener something more than his perfectly succinct solos.

Usually I pretty much listen to an album as is or skip songs as I go along; it's rare to change it up, but it made it much more enjoyable for me. Oh and shorter too. 

Glad you could appreciate my reasoning, especially after cutting the songs you like. Oh yeah, No Reason To Cry was right on the line too, but didn't quite make it. I like the nice 10 songs, it's a tight listen.

cheers

Edited by MaryJanes2ndLastDance

I would put Don't Pull Me Over for the opening track as a complete wild card mind bender for the listener..

Good idea, having the opening song be something so different from what's expected from TPATH.  Maybe it'll be an EDM song on their next record. Or a drum solo. Picture the first track as a good minute of Scott playing a cool groove...

cheers

Nice TomFest. What other TPATH have you guys covered?

cheers

From "Mojo" I think only "Don't Pull Me Over" a couple of times.  But other Tom Petty songs?  More than I can count.  I think just from "Echo" we've done 8 songs.  From "The Last DJ" we regularly play the title song, and "When A Kid Goes Bad", and we've done a couple of the others from that record.  "Walls" is a regular in the setlist, and last week we played "Hung Up And Overdue".  We've also done "Angel Dream", "California" and "Change The Locks" off "She's The One", and a dozen or so of the songs on "Wildflowers" at one time or another.  And on and on back into the catalog.

We are a bunch of Tom Petty fanatics in my band.  Which is fine with me.  :-)

To me the premise of this thread holds a lot of merit. Like we've been touching upon in the past.. (I thought this had a certain sense of dejavu, and sure enough.. here it is  ) Over in that thread I was trying a bit of Re:Mojo:ing myself and I came up with these songs, here rearranged once more to fit the two sides of the preferable and much groovier vinyl LP, rather than just listing them CD or streaming style, the way I did last time. As always CD and LP sequencing are two very different artforms. ("Hello CD listeners.." and all that... and as is sometimes the case, some things once acknowledged and honored don't really get followed up in real life.) 

Anyway.. here goes my Mojo LP cut

A:

01. First Flash of Freedom

02. Running Man's Bible

03. Little Girl Blues

04. No Reason to Cry

05. High in The Morning 

B

01. I Should Have Known It

02. Trip to Pirate's Cove

03. Mystery of Love

04. Something Good Coming

05. Good Enough 

I love that ending and thought they got it right to begin with! Then I would, just perhaps and under severe pressure, consider letting myself go and let Let Yourself Go and US41 (the latter with more drive and without the voice filter is so, like I've mentioned in the past) on the record to make it an even 12. But given the play length of your average LP side, and in general, I stand my ground on these 10. Mojo is a far too unfocused and long album to work, yet it holds some of the best sound and songs in the catalogue so it really is among the LPs that benefits from a remake and this is my go at having it optimized.

I often dreamt that one day we'll get to hear TP&TH roll out a semi-long jam heavy Rhino Skin!

I don't know if you've heard a live version from the Echo tour?  "Rhino Skin" goes for about 5 1/2 minutes with some nice guitar work by Mike, and then strangely it evolved into a harmonica section that slowly does a fade out.  Really did not do justice to the song at all, in my opinion.  It goes out with a whimper when it could have really been a bang.  The other thing was - the crowd just wasn't into it.  They were talking, and I suppose waiting for "Free Fallin'".   Which is probably why the song got dropped from the set list.  Most of the crowd didn't dig it.

To me the premise of this thread holds a lot of merit. Like we've been touching upon in the past.. (I thought this had a certain sense of dejavu, and sure enough.. here it is  ) Over in that thread I was trying a bit of Re:Mojo:ing myself and I came up with these songs, here rearranged once more to fit the two sides of the preferable and much groovier vinyl LP, rather than just listing them CD or streaming style, the way I did last time. As always CD and LP sequencing are two very different artforms.

Ha! Consider this the sequel to that thread then! Which was a pretty good thread, looking back on it. If that was about giving it a good listen as is, this is the "fix" the record topic.

There's something appealing about having two sides to an album, even viewing it that way on a cd. It could just be it makes for an easier listen or maybe because of the conceptual fun that can be had, making two smaller statements that work on their own yet make up the finished piece as a whole at the same time.

In Mojo's case, it's some of that and because of the song length. Aside from a few differences, it seems we feel the same about most of the record.

While not at Hypnotic Eye level, Mojo has definitely climbed (that hill) quite a bit from my initial couldn't even make it through the album.

cheers

I often dreamt that one day we'll get to hear TP&TH roll out a semi-long jam heavy Rhino Skin!

Rhino Skin would've worked great alongside the Mojo tracks and I think their heavier approach to guitar sounds and style wouldv'e really elevated this one quite a bit. The song has a good groove, I could see Ron laying down a very thick bass line as the song marches forward, sharp guitar leads cutting through as it builds to a climax.

Maybe another for a residency?

I don't know if you've heard a live version from the Echo tour?  "Rhino Skin" goes for about 5 1/2 minutes with some nice guitar work by Mike, and then strangely it evolved into a harmonica section that slowly does a fade out.  Really did not do justice to the song at all, in my opinion.  It goes out with a whimper when it could have really been a bang.  The other thing was - the crowd just wasn't into it.  They were talking, and I suppose waiting for "Free Fallin'".   Which is probably why the song got dropped from the set list.  Most of the crowd didn't dig it.

I've heard it, thanks to Marion and this thread:

http://www.mudcrutch.com/forum/index.php?/topic/14731-does-anyone-have-a-recording-of-live-rhino-skin/#comment-300220

Here's some quick thoughts on live Rhino Skin.

First, I'm glad they played it. I think it was performed three times and then dropped. 

Second, while the route they went with it, wasn't how I pictured it would be, I'm still glad they stretched it out, the song lends itself to that.

Third, this is a problem with Tom, that if a song doesn't excite the crowd, then away it goes. While a topic I'm prone to ramble on about I won't go into another diatribe on the set lists, just that it's a shame this song was barely played. I like "I Don't Wanna Fight" quite a bit but I think Rhino Skin is the better song.

Fourth, I agree with you, TomFest, it should've gone off with a bang, maybe the fade out was going to build back up to a catharsis when Tom saw the bored crowd and decided to end the song there. 

cheers

I love that ending and thought they got it right to begin with!

It appears thus far, I'm in a minority concerning the ending.

While Good Enough reminds me a bit of First Flash, in terms of heaviness and overall style and feel, having it follow the wistful Something Good Coming feels like a mistake, simply because, to my ears, Something Good Coming is just on another level; song structure, musicianship, Tom's vocal...so plaintive. It feels like after last call, when the bar is being cleaned, stools up on tables and one last light to turn off before locking the door on your way out. 

Regarding the live version of "Rhino Skin", I would have loved to see them do a finish like "Runnin' Down A Dream" where Mike takes off with a solo to the end and whips the crowd into a frenzy.  The song starts quiet with a slow build up in energy. I think it would really have worked well.  Look at what the band did with "Takin' My Time" in it's limited play on the Mojo tour.  That song starts quite slow as you know, but finishes strong, powerful, and loud with a Mike Campbell solo - and the crowd seemed to love it.   Who knows, maybe some day they'll take another shot at "Rhino Skin".