Sign in to follow this  
bm29759

Mudcrutch @ Bunbury Festival in Cincinnati June 3-5

Nice! Interesting that the Shelters are also on the bill. Second festival announcement, which I find a little surprising because I thought Mudcrutch would be more low key and enjoy the smaller venue vibe as opposed to the huge crowd circus they always see in the Heartbreakers. Their setlists for these festivals are going to be fascinating, since they don't have any huge "hits" to rev the crowd up with.

It's even more surprising that it's now been nearly a full week since the first show announcement, and here we are with a second "hanging chad" stand alone announcement, and yet still NOTHING official from the band themselves about an album and tour. You'd think they would want to get out ahead of this stuff! There is definitely not an kind of sense of urgency with them or management at all. I'm dying to read some details!!

I agree with everyone above; looks like I'll have to bite the bullet to go to Summer Camp in Ill. (3 1/2 hour drive) but there's no way I'm camping out!! hahaha; the Cinci show sounds interesting too-will keep it in mind;  maybe they'll play a smaller stand-aione concert somewhere; lotta wait and seeing

I was just doing a little Internet "research" (always risky business) and it looks like there's some major favorables for a band like Mudcrutch to do festivals; substantial $$ if you're a headliner which it looks like Mudcrutch is (and I'm sure there's stipulation the festival gets to advertise the band w/ all 5 members' name incl. TP); I really wonder what size crowd they could get as a stand-alone show; from what I hear the crowds at 2008 Calf. shows were all good-natured and not expecting TP&HB material; can that be said this time around even though they won't do it??  interesting stuff; but all in all it's a good problem to have ;)

Whoa.. yeah. This is all very exciting!! The questions I have is mostly along the lines of how on earth I will be able to arrange a US trip with such a semi-short notice? How and when will the actual album be here (would be good to have it out in semi-well ahead of time for those dates, to give it a fair chance so to speak.. which would mean that at least the word would be official within.. pretty much yesterday, right?) Like it's said just above.. "it's a good problem to have".. but now I am really eager to hear the new material. I'll try not to keep my expectations through the roof, though.. but it's hard, considering last time around. 

On a related matter.. I guess this also means that All The Rest is now officially buried? At least until fall or next year, when whatever little hype or momentum it had among TP fans will long since also be resting peacefully six feet under... Man, was that a bummer and failure..

I was just doing a little Internet "research" (always risky business) and it looks like there's some major favorables for a band like Mudcrutch to do festivals; substantial $$ if you're a headliner which it looks like Mudcrutch is (and I'm sure there's stipulation the festival gets to advertise the band w/ all 5 members' name incl. TP); I really wonder what size crowd they could get as a stand-alone show; from what I hear the crowds at 2008 Calf. shows were all good-natured and not expecting TP&HB material; can that be said this time around even though they won't do it??  interesting stuff; but all in all it's a good problem to have ;)

Mudcrutch at festivals leads to a lot of questions IMO. I have to think anything released under the Heartbreakers name is off limits – seems too disrespectful to Ron, Steve and Scott – but maybe the TP solo albums and Willburys material is fair game.

TPATH obviously has done a lot of covers over the years. How many covers is too many for Mudcrutch? I still remember the videos from a few years back when Tom, Mike and Ben sat in with the Allman Brothers, and played Bob Dylan covers.

The Summer Camp crowd should be very openminded as it's jam fans, but Bunbury is going to be a very mainstream audience. The festival is using Tom's name on the poster, a good number of fans are going to expect Tom songs they've heard on the radio.

Interesting discussion. Me too tend to suspect (and personally, I kinda agree) that Heartbreakers stuff is "off limits". With the occasional TP solo, old original Mudcrutch, a variety of cool covers and two full albums of songs.. I have no problem imagining a quite fantastic set! Someone mentioned the m.... word.. Well, if you are a band that are per definition not mainstream.. once you are booked and paid to play, I say screw that crowd. They are rats anyway. 

Festivals are indeed where the money is -- makes me wonder if this tour will be solely limited to festivals or if they might do a few headline shows as well. Sure makes it hard to plan my summer! I imagine Outside Lands festival is a no-brainer, but I'm having trouble thinking of any other festivals they might play. SummerFest in Milwaukee? Newport Folk maybe? I'm also anticipating some warm-up shows throughout California. 

Also something to keep in mind is that Petty likes to keep tours short. If the tour starts at the end of May, I could see this thing wrapping up by the end of July or start of August. Wish they'd just put all their cards on the table already!

my sixth sense is that it's actually a work in progress, but I really don't know what it's like to plan and book a tour in today's world; especially such a wild-card group like Mudcrutch; and yeah I agree that Petty doesn't like to tour long, and this tour is with a couple of guys on board that are not used to doing this like the Heartbreakers for 40 years

Mud drummer Randall Marsh did play on Hometown Blues on first TP&HB album, but I'd still agree with High Grass Dog that they wouldn't even do something like that; gotta be a full-bore Mud tune or cover

Mark my words as sure as night follows day, once festival type patrons see Tom Petty on stage they won't be able to stop themselves - there will be shout outs for 'Free Fallin' from more than a few in the audience during the Mudcrutch set. :o

All together now, hands in the air and start swinging those hips gently from side to side...''She's a good girl, loves her Momma, loves Jesus, and America too.....

Joking aside though, I'm really looking forward to what Mudcrutch come up with as a festival set list, probably a different approach needed on a festival stage than a smaller club stage....a 14 minute version of Crystal River may be beyond the comprehension and appreciation of the majority in a, for want of a better phrase 'main stream festival' audience for example....although they could surprise me and just go out and play for themselves without a Heartbreakers type set list formula....how great that would be to see.  

I would like others have already mentioned hope that some stand alone smaller venue Mudcrutch shows are also announced as the magical moments are more likely to occur there than at a festival.....that being said can you imagine how great Lover Of The Bayou would be outdoors in the summer sun....interesting times ahead! :)  

The whole thing could still be a work in progress, and I know management's MO on all things Petty seems to always be to draaag things out till the last minute, but tomorrow is March and there is still no info on an album and tour that seems to be set up for May. Tour details would be nice, so fans can plan trips, schedules, budgets, etc. More than that though, I'm dying to know about the new album. What style of music is it? What's it called? Does Mike Campbell get a lead vocal? Is there a single going to radio? According to Mike himself, the album's been done for about two months now, and yet there are no details or mentions at all. It's time for the rollout!!

Their setlists for these festivals are going to be fascinating, since they don't have any huge "hits" to rev the crowd up with.

Good point. It should be very interesting. I hope they'd go with a lot of new tunes and some inspired jamming. I figure they'll be a contingent of hardcore Mudcrutch fans there and the rest of the crowd will enjoy the musicianship and seeing Tom Petty.

cheers

....although they could surprise me and just go out and play for themselves without a Heartbreakers type set list formula....how great that would be to see.  

That would be the most interesting way to go. I think festival crowds can handle a band taking liberties with their songs, but at minimum, they can handle at least one psychedelic jamming song a la Crystal River. It could be the highlight of the set for those who enjoy jamming and for those who don't, it's beer and bathroom time! Usually not in that order.

cheers