Sign in to follow this  
dollardime

Dog On The Run 'Tearjerker '78 Advance Copy'

Well this is an awesome live version of Dog On The Run that I for one havn't heard before. The poster on youtube has this one down as a '78 LP. Perhaps this 'Tom Petty Tearjerker '78' was a planned live LP idea that ultimately didn't see the light of day. My best guess is that this 'Dog On The Run' is from the BBC TV Old Grey Whistle Test programme in the UK 1977 (judging by the presenters accent at the end of the song).....other songs from this Old Grey Whistle Test '77 are out there on youtube, but not this 'Dog On The Run' until now, well at least it's my first time coming across it.. it's definitely not the Rockpalast Germany '77 TV show Dog, which is different to this version. Any one have the definitive low down on this?

Anyway, enjoy this Dog On The Run, it's certainly far from a tearjerker. It's heading straight to my favorites file. This song and this version ROCKS with that distinctive raw loose young Heartbreakers live energy of the late 70's that I particularly love! Dam I have a particular fondness for that particular live era of the bands career before it torpedoed into a different phase of the many phases since of the bands evolution shortly after that time.:)

KSAN did live broadcasts from the Record Plant, this is from one of them.  It was also broadcast nationally on the Rock Around the World radio show in two parts.  The first show had Surrender, Jaguar and the Thunderbird, American Girl, Fooled Again, Luna and Strangered in the Night.  The second show had Breakdown, Dog on the Run, Route 66 and American Girl.  I have the second LP, it also has live Sammy Hagar on side 2.  "Tearjerker" was the title of a bootleg version.  The sound is pretty good for bootleg vinyl but not as good as the original LP.  In the '90s there was a bootleg CD titled "Shout" that sounds really good but it doesn't have Breakdown, not the Record Plant version anyway.  Too bad, that was the version that got played on the radio some around 1978.

gallery_1_3_1394507332_3482.jpggallery_98_16_1394507373_4273.jpg

P.S. I believe the English voice you hear is Denny Cordell.

Edited by Miami Steve

That's a different set list than I've got for that show.   "Breakdown" isn't on the version of this show that I have, but "Listen To Her Heart" and "I Need To Know" are introduced as new songs.   I think they might have combined some shows on the Rock Around The World program?

I don't have the "Tearjerker" vinyl bootleg, but I've seen it listed with either 8 or 9 songs, and seems to be missing at least "Listen To Her Heart" from this 10 song setlist. I haven't seen any version listed anywhere that includes "Breakdown", but I've always wondered where that live version that was played on the radio back then came from.

The date on the "Tearjerker" record says April 22, 1978, and that can't be right.  That would put it just a couple of weeks before 'You're Gonna Get It' came out, and there's no way.  "Listen To Her Heart" is still raw, and they don't have the opening drum bit by Stanley even worked out yet. I'd have to hear the "Tearjerker" record to figure out what it really is.  Maybe it is part of the Record Plant show with just the wrong date on it.

Here's what I have......

Surrender

Jaguar & Thunderbird

American Girl

Fooled Again

Luna

Listen To Her Heart

I Need To Know

Strangered In The Night

Dog On The Run

Route 66

With the exception of Breakdown, the Rock Around the World LP, Tearjerker LP and Shout CD are the same recordings.  RATW didn't contain complete concerts and the songs are not necessarily in the original order.  At the beginning of the radio show the host says it was recorded in San Francisco but I have another RATW "best of" show on LP that has the same version of Breakdown and it says it was recorded in Los Angeles.  I suspect that one song was from the Capitol Records in-studio broadcast.  I wish I had that complete recording to compare.  Here's a video someone posted on youtube that says "Capitol Studios."  This is the same version on the RATW LPs.

Been a bit confused as to what is what on some of these old pro-recorded boots - most of whom collect dust admittedly, but all of whom carries absolute essential pieces of history and great versions. As is the case regarding the existence of certain other historical information details - setlists, dates, studio sessions and so on - what can be gathered from the releases themselves are dim and contradictory at best. Not sure I'm all the wiser now, but thanks for bringing this up. Love to compare recordings, hear peoples insight, and hopefully find new pieces to the puzzle.

With the exception of Breakdown, the Rock Around the World LP, Tearjerker LP and Shout CD are the same recordings.  RATW didn't contain complete concerts and the songs are not necessarily in the original order.  At the beginning of the radio show the host says it was recorded in San Francisco but I have another RATW "best of" show on LP that has the same version of Breakdown and it says it was recorded in Los Angeles.  I suspect that one song was from the Capitol Records in-studio broadcast.  I wish I had that complete recording to compare.  Here's a video someone posted on youtube that says "Capitol Studios."  This is the same version on the RATW LPs.

You're right - this recording of Breakdown is from the FM broadcast at Capitol Records in Hollywood on 11-11-77.  I had this entire show on the shelf and just copied it up to my dropbox if anyone is interested.  I'll leave it up for a little while.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/565291/Live in Studio A Nov 11%2C 1977

Well this is an awesome live version of Dog On The Run that I for one havn't heard before.  This song and this version ROCKS with that distinctive raw loose young Heartbreakers live energy of the late 70's that I particularly love! Dam I have a particular fondness for that particular live era of the bands career before it torpedoed into a different phase of the many phases since of the bands evolution shortly after that time.:)

Thanks for posting that Dollardime. I gotta say it's a pretty good version, particularly the intro. While I usually enjoy Mike's soloing, in this case I'd have preferred just to hear more of that heavy rhythm groove sans lead.

Here's a thought: Two Men Talking (temoprarily) took the place of Dog on the Run; a song that seems to be primarily about jamming. The playing from around 3:20 is really good but of course, the highlight is from around 4 minutes culminating in a bit of the Ron/Stan show. Seems like there's more of a bass/drums focus on the other version I've heard.

You can hear the template forming here for later jams like It's Good To Be King, Don't Come Around Here No More or even Shadow People, when the band brings it down into a moody, spacey jam before kicking back into a faster gear. 

I get what you're saying; there's something about bands early in their career where it seems like they could go off in any particular direction and make it work, just based on infectious energy and enthusiasm. 

cheers

You're right - this recording of Breakdown is from the FM broadcast at Capitol Records in Hollywood on 11-11-77.  I had this entire show on the shelf and just copied it up to my dropbox if anyone is interested.  I'll leave it up for a little while.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/565291/Live in Studio A Nov 11%2C 1977

Sorry - that previous link was no good. Try this one if you're interested....

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/dwyt2kkg1vwb21o/AAA3cY7K_4fjEczWS9TUzJeaa?dl=0

I have the tearjerker bootleg in absolute mint condition. On the actual bootleg which apparently none of you have seen there are of course no song listings side one simply says side one side two also simply says side two the quality of the ACTUAL bootleg is as good as an original factory master. Someone went to a lot of trouble to give a big middle finger to Tom Petty. Wonder what the real Tom Petty, not the stoned guy everyone knows could have done to piss off someone so much that the cover tells TOM the exact day and location the recording walked out of the recording studio. Just sayin.