Sign in to follow this  
Spiritinthesky

Tom Petty Quiz

On 11/23/2015 at 9:32 AM, TwoGunslingers said:

One wrong answer... how the hell would I know what Tom planted as groundsman for the University of Florida??? Is that mentioned anywhere?

But hey, if there's one question in the quiz I can answer wrong without being ashamed, it's that one. :lol: I doubt he remembers himself.

I got that one right. I read it somewhere recently.

I got the Highest Ranking Hit wrong: I was guessing with American Girl. It was Free Fallin'.  I got the Jodie Foster film right and the film he appeared in with Kevin Costner: The Postman. I also said The Icons were his first band, which he changed to Mudcrutch, but I thought I read or heard somewhere that he formed The Sundowners first, not that band. Could be wrong.

Just now, nobodyinparticular said:

They got that one wrong. His first band was the Sundowners, and the second was the Epics. 

Yes, that was the right name I should have cited above, not the Icons as I stated erroneously. I did put that down - as The Epics, which changed to Mudcrutch, but did think it was wrongly stated as the right answer. 

On 11/23/2015 at 4:32 AM, TwoGunslingers said:

One wrong answer... how the hell would I know what Tom planted as groundsman for the University of Florida??? Is that mentioned anywhere?

But hey, if there's one question in the quiz I can answer wrong without being ashamed, it's that one. :lol: I doubt he remembers himself.

I don't remember where it was originally mentioned, but he says it wasn't true or that he doesn't remember it. 

20 hours ago, nobodyinparticular said:

They got that one wrong. His first band was the Sundowners, and the second was the Epics. 

I didn't think Benmont was in the Sundowners. He would probably have been too young, right? 
He only came aboard for Mudcrutch, right? I don't remember. 
That would make two questions wrong, if I recall correctly. 

**And the tree one, because in the past five years Tom disproved that somewhere. I don't remember where. Some interview. 

Hey, I got 20 but I disagree with quiz and agree with you all.  So I'll be the shouty person in the bar-quiz arguing with the quiz master & being asked to leave!!!

• First band = Sundowners
  • TP & BT first played together in Mudcrutch --->Benmont was at school then Tulane then home to Gainesville with Mudcrutch.  Jim Lenahan played in Sundowners during one holiday when everyone was away.
  • Wasn't sure about chart positions (elitist sniff) so that was a lucky guess
  • I read TP doesn't remember planting any trees while a groundsman, but politely doesn't rule out that maybe he did.  The University, though, they are dead keen to claim him as their own - so they ignore his opinion and have a plaque on the lime tree.   

100% Just luck. I have to admit I didn't know anything about an ogeeche lime tree and I didn't know the link between Tom and Don Felder!

I see some of you have some complaints about this quiz... Well, I have another one. "Charlie T Wilbury Jr". In any place in the Travelling Wilburys Vol 1 this name is mentioned. He was Charlie T Jr nor Charlie T Wilbury Jr. ;)

11 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Hey, I got 20 but I disagree with quiz and agree with you all.  So I'll be the shouty person in the bar-quiz arguing with the quiz master & being asked to leave!!!

• First band = Sundowners
  • TP & BT first played together in Mudcrutch --->Benmont was at school then Tulane then home to Gainesville with Mudcrutch.  Jim Lenahan played in Sundowners during one holiday when everyone was away.
  • Wasn't sure about chart positions (elitist sniff) so that was a lucky guess
  • I read TP doesn't remember planting any trees while a groundsman, but politely doesn't rule out that maybe he did.  The University, though, they are dead keen to claim him as their own - so they ignore his opinion and have a plaque on the lime tree.   

Don't back down....gates of helll.....etc

• one part luck
  • one part that the person-writing-the-quiz* seems to be a peanut-brain with little attention to detail
  • one part that I might enthusiastically fill my brain with TP related information

*unless that person's you oh spiritinthesky in which case: good work & maybe next time let's see a little more fact-checking & consensus, ok?

:) 

I apologize for my bad use of grammar. I gave a bad meaning to prayer. What I wanted to say is that I got 100% and it was pure luck because in 2 questions I had many doubts ... I'm sorry

On 9/13/2018 at 10:42 PM, Big Blue Sky said:
  • one part luck
  • one part that the person-writing-the-quiz* seems to be a peanut-brain with little attention to detail
  • one part that I might enthusiastically fill my brain with TP related information

*unless that person's you oh spiritinthesky in which case: good work & maybe next time let's see a little more fact-checking & consensus, ok?

:)