SingsInFrench

Tom is Getting His Own Siriux/XM Station

I'm already a subscriber but had to upgrade my plan, other than Lookin' for Daddy there hasn't been anything obscure that I don't already have in my collection (frankly I could put my collection on random and have more content but without the commentary) the most obscure track I've heard so far is Jaguar and Thunderbird. Although I enjoyed the live at Fenway park I was disappointed it wasn't the full show. I'll probably keep my plan upgraded but negotiate a discount. To make it worth it I really hope the dig deeper in the back catalog (not just tracks from Playback) and release more exclusive tracks.

I understand people's disappointment with this but the way I see it is if you're not a subscriber already, it's not worth it. Most of the music played will be something you've already heard or own or is available in some form online. Speaking of, even the first exclusive song found its way here very quickly and while I wouldn't count on that happening all the time, most music ends up on the internet eventually. The irony being that I'd say the people here would gladly purchase songs like LFD or anything else TPATH put out.

Speaking from experience, I've heard some of Pearl Jam Radio and it's not something I want to hear that often, preferring an album or official boot to enjoy instead. I think the same thing will happen; how much TPATH can one listen to without getting a bit worn out? Sure, it's fine as a fun thing to listen to when the mood strikes but the thought of paying additional money sours it a bit. And once you've paid, well, then you may feel obligated to listen and where's the fun in that? On top of it, you may be disappointed if you set too high an expectation of exclusive music.

Maybe I'll be wrong and the station will be a cornucopia of new and unreleased music, but I doubt it.

Will it still be enjoyable to listen to? Sure, but I don't think it's worth the cost, not even to upgrade. 

For the record, I'm not an Sirius-Xm subscriber.

cheers

Edited by MaryJanes2ndLastDance

I'm a subscriber and have been on the same plan for years.  I didn't have to upgrade.  :huh:  Weird, huh?  It's all a big bait and switch for some and not others.   Grrrr!

I have been enjoying the channel a lot but don't listen more than a few house a day.  Any station is too much after a while.

I've been listening when I'm in my car (the only place I have XM), and have loved it so far. Nothing groundbreaking (minus "Looking For Daddy," the rarest songs I've heard have been "Playing Dumb" and "I'm Walkin'"), but it's great to hear the segues from one song to another, bridging different eras in the Heartbreakers career. It's the kind of "anything's possible" stuff you don't get in a live show, and it creates cool combinations.

The best thing I've heard so far was Benmont's guest DJ set. He's so insightful! A definite pleasure to hear his unique thoughts on the Heartbreakers catalog.

The best thing I've heard so far was Benmont's guest DJ set. He's so insightful! A definite pleasure to hear his unique thoughts on the Heartbreakers catalog.

That sounds pretty good. From things i've heard it seems he's always pushed for mixing up the sets, playing different songs, so a dj set from him sounds interesting.

cheers

Any news from this venture lately? Any interesting TP info or news shared on the air? Any new cool live or studio rarities played? Guests? Anything? Must be something. After all people pay through their noses for this service so I suppose they don't get same old each day, right? 

Anyway - from my horizon it all looks dark and quiet. So please bring light if there is any to be had, share news - much appreciated!.

Edited by Shelter

Any news from this venture lately? Any interesting TP info or news shared on the air? Any new cool live or studio rarities played? Guests? Anything? Must be something. After all people pay through their noses for this service so I suppose they don't get same old each day, right? 

Anyway - from my horizon it all looks dark and quiet. So please bring light if there is any to be had, share news - much appreciated!.

I admit I only listen when I'm in my car, so I can't give a full picture, but it seems like now it's only "Tom Petty shuffle mode" along with Buried Treasure inserts. I haven't heard any special guest sets or anything unique for a while. They play "Mystery of Love" and "Looking For Daddy" as the rare tracks.

Generally speaking most of the song are on an official release it's in the shuffle. I've heard some more obscure releases like Take Out Some Insurance, Dog on the Run, Route 66, I Fought the Law, many acoustic and live versions from b-sides... In the car today I heard Call Me the Breeze, I don't think this is on any official release, but maybe recorded on a TV special. I still need to make a recording of Mystery of Love.

Here you go, Brandon.    http://www.mudcrutch.com/marion/Mystery_Of_Love.mp3

I don't quite remember where I got Mystery of Love but I seem to recall that I made the MP3 of the song when I heard it during a radio interview.  The file I have says I made the MP3 in 2010.  Does anyone remember the first time they heard it?

Edited by Marion

Thanks Marion, now I only need 2 minutes to be home to download it (been very busy between work and kids activities).

I believe it's from the Jim Lad radio special for Mojo. If I recall they said it wasn't finished in time to be included with Mojo but would be released sometime in the future.

I'm sure you are right, Brandon.  No rush, it's not going anywhere.  I left a radio interview for you in another thread too.  I'm not sure if you got that one yet. 

I can't believe Mojo is 6 years old already!

Edited by Marion

Anyone catch that Benmont is getting his own show on Tom Petty radio? I think it's starting Wednesday.

I did hear this yesterday. Definitely looking forward to it, as Benmont's guest DJ set last year was great! They had a couple other guest DJ shows over the past two weeks as well: Judd Apatow and Steve Cropper.

I bought mystery of love and little girl blues (I think it was) which were left over from mojo. I bought them on iTunes, or Amazon or something.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

You can't get Mystery of Love on iTunes just yet.  I think you got that track from me, Amber.  They played it during a radio interview promoting MOJO and I made an MP3 to share.  They said it wasn't finished before the album came out.  Little Girl Blues is a bonus track when you buy MOJO on iTunes which I did even though I had already bought the album 3 times!  Grrrr!  You can only get it if you buy the entire album so I think I probably shared that with you too.  It makes me so mad when they stick us like that! 

No...I know I bought at least one of them. Maybe it was Amazon. I will have to go back and learn. I try to buy it if it is new stuff and not copy unless it is out of availability (as I know you do too since we have talked about it before). I'll do some research when I get time..... I do like both songs alot. Wonder what happened to the re-create of wildflowers that was supposed to include leftovers?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

^ No, unfortunately, and I share your hopes.

And generally speaking.. 4 months into this spectacle.. it's still Looking for Daddy (and Mystery of Love, sure) in terms of exclusive unreleased studio cuts and that's it?

^yes, as far as studio tracks. I've heard some more obscure tracks not in heavy rotation, all of which have been on some official release. The only other thing I've heard In rotation that I don't believe to be on an official release is Call Me The Breeze, I believe the recording is from a TV special. Initially Tom said there would be a new song every month, or two or two and half, I'd expect something else soonish.

Any chance anyone can update the "Mystery of Love" link, I have not been able to hear it.  I noticed that right after "the Woods" premiere TPR played "Looking For Daddy," it was great to hear.  Does anybody know where one can hear it again?

I'm hoping this is building a new rarities set--I can't track down the acoustic version of "Cabin Down Below" and "Sweet William" (I haven't been able to find those either).  I have the acoustic version "Only a Broken Heart" as the B-side to "A Higher Place."  It's really quite good.  (I'm sure were all waiting for that Wildflowers reissue!)  

Thanks!