Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

If you only had one live TPATH concert recording to share with someone?

At the risk of sounding like a broken record... High Grass Dogs. I just love it. I love the performance of "Walls." 
It's my all time favorite version of Walls and any of their songs. It's just perfect as an acoustic ballad. 
I honestly do not care for it as a pop/rock song. 

6 hours ago, Liberty said:

I love the performance of "Walls." 
It's my all time favorite version of Walls and any of their songs. It's just perfect as an acoustic ballad. 
I honestly do not care for it as a pop/rock song. 

It's not one of my favorites but I do like the song in both versions. Actually I like the psychedelic outro, would've made for a cool jam in concert. But there's something about the acoustic version as well. I don't often listen/watch High Grass Dogs because of the song selection and some of the performances just aren't to my liking. I much prefer some of the other Echo recordings out there, where you get an entire show with some of the longer jams. 

I am fond of Even The Losers, the multiple mistakes at the beginning and Tom's responses are charming.

cheers

That one's a tricky question. My first instinct would be to say their November 1993 show in Gainesville, Florida, but I'm not sure if that would be the best the best the best the best the best fast inverse square root the best example I can think of. I'd probably have to think a bit more. 

On 2/4/2018 at 2:43 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

It's not one of my favorites but I do like the song in both versions. Actually I like the psychedelic outro, would've made for a cool jam in concert. But there's something about the acoustic version as well. I don't often listen/watch High Grass Dogs because of the song selection and some of the performances just aren't to my liking. I much prefer some of the other Echo recordings out there, where you get an entire show with some of the longer jams. 

I am fond of Even The Losers, the multiple mistakes at the beginning and Tom's responses are charming.

cheers

Even the Losers on High Grass Dogs... lmao. I love that one. Tom: "There's gum in my guitar again." *pulls out a piece of gum, throws it away*
Odd enough that it happened... even more so that it was a second time? LOL! 
I just love the intimacy of High Grass Dogs. It's not the best overall performance/concert, but there are some select songs which I love. 
Storytellers, Soundstage, and Live at the Olympic, I think are all really great, too. I haven't watched any of them in years. :-/ 

27 minutes ago, Liberty said:

Storytellers, Soundstage, and Live at the Olympic, I think are all really great, too. I haven't watched any of them in years. :-/ 

Me neither. I remember ordering Soundstage and being so excited when it arrived in the mail; this was way before you could easily look up entire live concerts online; I enjoyed the sound quality and the variety of performances; especially Melinda. I liked Two Men Talking (it would later grow on me quite a bit) but that solo in Melinda was bananas. 

I also enjoyed Steve's miming to someone in the audience during the beginning of Yer So Bad before the drums kick in.

cheers

On 2/7/2018 at 2:52 AM, nobodyinparticular said:

That one's a tricky question. My first instinct would be to say their November 1993 show in Gainesville, Florida, but I'm not sure if that would be the best the best the best the best the best fast inverse square root the best example I can think of. I'd probably have to think a bit more. 

I apologize for the gibberish here. Sometimes I get a slight bit loopy in the head. 

I did some thinking though. If someone asked me the question, I would just suggest they acquire a copy of the Live Anthology. It's a good little compilation. 

1 hour ago, nobodyinparticular said:

My first instinct would be to say their November 1993 show in Gainesville, Florida,

It's definitely an interesting concert showcasing different sides of the band and in a way it's a summation of their career to that point,  playing with their reputed jangle before the more long term groove and somber reflective albums to follow. The last electric outing with Stan on the drums and on the radio. They even throw in Drivin' Down to Georgia and Lost Without You.

I could change my mind but for one show to share with someone I think the Fillmore Concert is still the best choice based on performance, song selection, length and unlike the Live Anthology, it's a whole concert.  It's not my favorite but then, I don't think I have a single favorite show of theirs.

cheers

Drivin' Down to Georgia/Lost Without You was actually performed as early as the 1992 European tour. By '95 they'd dropped Lost Without You and were introducing Drivin' as a brand new song that hadn't been recorded. Wonder if they ever did record it. There's quite a few live-only original songs that I'm curious about.

17 minutes ago, nobodyinparticular said:

Drivin' Down to Georgia/Lost Without You was actually performed as early as the 1992 European tour.

Nice. For the longest time I associated those songs together, probably from listening to that show so many times. The live songs that I'm aware of that either haven't been recorded or  released:

Drivin' Down To Georgia

Lost Without You

The Date  I Had With the Ugly Homecoming Queen

Black Leather Woman

Two Men Talking

Melinda

I think it's neat they have songs that exist only as live versions.

cheers

There's two more originals that I can think of off the top of my head - Dog on the Run (not to be confused with the similarly-named track from Southern Accents), which was performed regularly throughout 1977 and then dropped from the set (although it did make a recurrence in the 1979 Lawsuit Tour) and 'Tonight Might Be My Night,' that was performed a few times in July and August 1986 (during Dylan's True Confessions Tour) and was introduced as a track from the next album, which I assume was Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)

14 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Nice. For the longest time I associated those songs together, probably from listening to that show so many times. The live songs that I'm aware of that either haven't been recorded or  released:

Drivin' Down To Georgia

Lost Without You

Black Leather Woman

Two Men Talking

Melinda

I think it's neat they have songs that exist only as live versions.

cheers

Melinda was on Live Anthology. Why Two Men Talkin' wasn't also on there, who the hell knows

33 minutes ago, Jay said:

Wembley arena, London March 1992. OK It's only recorded in my head but a two hour 20m show with Tom at his peak IMO, unforgettable

I think there was a fun energy to that Into the Great Wide Open Tour, least that's how it came across from the audience. Any other times you saw them?

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Never heard of this one, neat!

It's a neat track, slow-tempo bluesy sort of thing. I've only four versions of it, and all of them were audience recordings - earliest was July 22, in Mansfield, MA.

I expect it was performed several other times, but unfortunately many tapers omit the Petty songs from the recordings, so they were likely lost to time.

There are a few soundboard recordings of "Tonight Will Be My Night" out there. The main guitar riff for that song became the solo in "Mary Jane's Last Dance."

As for other unreleased studio performances of live original songs not mentioned thus far in this thread, there's "Goodbye Little Rich Girl" and "Ain't Enough Money" from October 1987 (recorded in Europe, post-Let Me Up tour), and "My New Guitar" and "Next Time You See Memphis" from April 2003. You could also count "Ugly Old Homecoming Queen" from the 97/99 Fillmore runs.

1 hour ago, mikemono said:

There are a few soundboard recordings of "Tonight Will Be My Night" out there. The main guitar riff for that song became the solo in "Mary Jane's Last Dance."

I knew it sounded familiar!

Soundboard recordings, too. I'm glad to hear that. None of the four versions I have are ideal. One suffers from distortion, two have not-ideal recording quality, and the last one is the most listenable but has some random people yelling in the middle of the song. 

1 hour ago, mikemono said:

"Goodbye Little Rich Girl" and "Ain't Enough Money" from October 1987 (recorded in Europe, post-Let Me Up tour), and "My New Guitar" and "Next Time You See Memphis"

Sounds like there's a potential album of unreleased songs that were played live, be they random jams or complete tunes:

Dog on the Run

Tonight Might Be My Night

Goodbye Little Rich Girl

Ain't Enough Money

Drivin' Down To Georgia

Lost Without You

Black Leather Woman

My New Guitar

Next Time You See Memphis

Two Men Talking

Melinda

11 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think there was a fun energy to that Into the Great Wide Open Tour, least that's how it came across from the audience. Any other times you saw them?

That was my only time. Great memories.

^ Now when all is said, or at least done, I suppose that tour stands out like the very special one for me as well. Not only cause it was the first, but cause after many others and plenty of reference, it seem like one of the best and most special in many way. It was at that very special point in life when their career were commercially and artistically peaking and they were "experienced but still hungry" in terms of age. Golden years in many ways. Short of the silly dream to have been old enough and able to be there and see them back around 76 or 77 or at the early days of real stardom in 82 (when they really kicked *ss, in my book), the Great Wide Open Tour must have been the best and ultimate time to see them, as far as the first few decades go. For sure. In some ways that really was the top of the mountain.

Although, in terms of sound, probably as much due to tech development as to performance perfection and a more mature.. temper.. I still think they never sounded better, grittier, heavier, more dynamic and crips than they did in the last few tours. Especially the 2013-2014 tours stands out, but really ever since Mojo days, they hit a new level of live perfection in the sound balance, to me. On the good side, the recidencies at Fonda and Beacon falls within that frame neatly! On the less good side, the rest of the set approach in this period was for the most part less impressive. So much of what had been played in the past, and even more of what had never had been played ever, really, really deserved a touch of that genius mature sound that they had in the last years of playing live. Too bad, I say. But it is what it is now.

10 hours ago, Shelter said:

the Great Wide Open Tour must have been the best and ultimate time to see them, as far as the first few decades go. For sure. In some ways that really was the top of the mountain.

I think it's close to the peak for the original band with Stan though some shows from '81 or '82 (I think, when they still played Nightwatchman and delivered an over two hour show) were good as well, as you mention.

10 hours ago, Shelter said:

it seem like one of the best and most special in many way. It was at that very special point in life when their career were commercially and artistically peaking and they were "experienced but still hungry"

Seems like the "future was wide open" for the band; it could be cause it was the first time seeing them, but there seemed to be a good balance between new songs and their past work. Ending the show with Makin' Some Noise, a brand new rocker was fun. 

Not knowing the inner turmoil going on, it was surprising when Stan was gone. In some ways this tour was also an all out embracing of the sillier/goofier elements of the band with the Psychedelic Dragon and the over-the-top intro with Hat and outro chase scene for Don't Come Around Here No More, oh yeah, and the fairy tale tree backdrop. Also Mike, Ben and Stan had special moments in the concert. Looking back on it the entire tour seemed like a bookend to that version of the band, though it didn't seem like it at the time.

The energy and mix of songs made for a fun show.

While probably not the one I'd recommend, there's one show that I have a particular fondness for. April 14, 1983 at the Kabuki Theater in San Francisco. Not only is it really good quality for an audience recording, it's got a