Sign in to follow this  
MaryJanes2ndLastDance

If you only had one live TPATH concert recording to share with someone?

Just one show to share with someone, which would you pick? I think it would come down to either the last night of the fillmore in 97 or the live anthology and I'd go with the fillmore. Since it is a complete show and has all the different facets, the hits, the blues, some jamming, some guest stars, covers and it's their longest concert, I think. While the Anthology has more songs, there's something good about hearing a full, unedited show.

Is there any kind of consensus when it comes to live TPATH? Would someone else pick a show from the 80s? Which one?

What do you think?

cheers

For me it would be one of the two nights I saw at the Vic in Chicago. Was that 2004? Not sure but those shows were the most special that I've ever been to!

Nice answer. I think that was in 03, maybe? I don't know. But I own the Soundstage dvd, pretty good. I figured the Vic shows may show up as an answer.

cheers

Hard to beat that last Fillmore '97 show - just for length, if nothing else.  But some of the '99 shows on the "Echo" tour would be a contender for me.  Either of the Irving Plaza shows, for instance.  '93 in Gainesville was pretty damn good too.

Those are good ones too. I'm wondering if there's a show that's considered the one to share if you could only share the one. Fillmore is really good, great sound quality, good performances, the really long version of Mary Jane and a really fun attitude. There's too many covers for my taste but someone else could enjoy them and the whole show just has a very fun, celebratory feel. They even play On The Street! That's a good song.

You mentioned the Echo tour. There's one 99 show, I think from...well...either New York or Minneapolis maybe where Mike leads the band through a super long surf instrumental. It's good sound quality, that's a good one too though I think the Fillmore just has more variety.

Maybe more people will chime in with their thoughts?

cheers

Hard to beat that last Fillmore '97 show - just for length, if nothing else.  But some of the '99 shows on the "Echo" tour would be a contender for me.  Either of the Irving Plaza shows, for instance.  '93 in Gainesville was pretty damn good too.

Sounds about right. As for 99, Minneapolis would be my choice. As for additional suggestions, some of the Vic shows (it was 2003, btw) would sufice, as would Santa Monica, New Years '78, the Bridge School Benefit of 88 (recently discussed, although.. it's too short) and - even if that would be cheating, by my own complete shows only standard in cases like this - some kinda "best of" comilation from the Beacon/Fonda gigs. As such the HCC live bundle is at least close to perfect, as is the "Kiss My Amps" collection from the Mojo tour. But it's just impossible to say. Last Night at the Fillmore, yes. (although a dream scenario would be that show with today's sound). On the other hand.. I could also go with the Utrecht, Holland gig of 1982. Love that one.

Or any of the Mudcrutch 2008 (for personal reasons if nothing else, since out of all TP shows I attended myself, these are my favorites), but that would be thinking a little too much outside the box, I take it. Ho ho.. This quest is a m#%er...  

Thus far it seems like there isn't a consensus on this. Plenty of worthy shows but not one towering above them. Unless that last night at the Fillmore does.

One show where the best of their live elements come together. I should eliminate the Live Anthology as an option since it's not a complete show.

I'm also fond of the very widely dispersed South Carolina bootleg from 89; performance wise they even stretch the bridge of Free Fallin' just a bit, and you've got a great intro to DCAHNM and a frenetic Runnin' Down A Dream. Some nice acoustic versions as well, particularly Even the Losers.

The Fillmore has something for everyone, even special guests...

The London shows from March 6th and 7th in 1980. The band in their prime and playing songs you'll never hear again and having a pure, raw energy that they'll never have again. Amazing version of "Here Comes My Girl" with Mike actually playing the 12 string on it which lends to the amazing solo at the end (wish they would do that more often because when they do it with just 6 strings it loses a lot of the mojo that makes that song one of their 5 best songs ever). We are also treated to great rocking versions of "Anything That's Rock N' Roll", "Girls Were Made To Love", "Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)", the definitive version of "Stories We Could Tell", "Too Much Ain't Enough", and "The Wild One, Forever". There are a few slight differences between those two shows with "Girls Were Made to Love" being replaced by "I Fought the Law" but still, both shows are great and showcase the band at there most rocking time.

Hm.. Believe I changed my mind on this one. I would go with the recording I make when TPATH play an informal three hour gigs of their own favorites in my house. Hahaha.. It's settled. So obvoius once I thought about it... I even plan on strumming along some myself, so I can cash in when the label decides TP is worthy of releasing and that this Live at Shelter's is the golden egg they need to lay. :D

^ Can't strum the B-bellows, man. And strumming is all I was planning on doing in this particular dream. No need to save a recording for you either, since it will be widely available as a audiophile double vinyl. Just relax.

^ Well, I thought about it, and tempting as it is to rock the rich, I think nah.. This will just be a crazily affordable fold-it-yourself double LP set, with a nice feel to hold it and to listen to it, distributed globally to all record stores that are still in business. Not to be sold by Apple Inc under any circumstances. Hey, it's my dream so bugger off with the swag, will ya!  :D 

Oh Babydoll, as Tom is wont to say himself at times! :) This is an important question. One one level you could get overwhelmed with so much choice over 40 years...how can you be definitive...right? well both right and wrong in my view. Enter the same set list elephant in the room, but that's not the full story by a long shot...still if you sift through the set lists and the bootlegs as well as the official live performance documents so to speak, a handful of choices do strike a chime and chord. 

Having thought about this for a while and enjoyed the music through the thought process, one particular live performance sticks in my throat and constantly fights for my recognition and attention. Yes, we have the greatness of the official live releases...plenty of gold to be mined there for sure in one aspect or the other. 

I keep coming back to the Frank Erwin Center Austin Texas bootleg from 21-11-2002 as a buried piece of treasue that even with constant polishing doesn't shine in pre programmed technicolour, and hell, that's what makes it so special in my eyes. Some random thoughts, but they I hope serve to put forward my case on this!

Tom.....in awesome vocal form here, both in song and spoken word, ''in the zone'' a cosmic like state vibe is what i get here....one of those 'wish I was there' concerts....this energy from Tom rubs off on the band......hey, they have about half a dozen new set list songs to play, they come across as energised and focused in their playing, The Last DJ tracks.....an attitude of we don't care if you havn't heard of these songs you free fallin peeps, we're playing them, because we want to, not in a preachy statement kind of way, but in a hey we're having fun jamming some new songs in our set list tonight, don't really need any acclaim or recognition or fan girl screams for them, they are what they are.....some great songs...Lost Children,...channelling George Harrison in Isn't It A Pity....a real moment caught in time there, very special.

Tom's between song banter can at times come across as canned and scripted in a live setting over the last 20 or so years in particular....but here, there is a playful in the moment resonance to his spoken words between songs....it accentuates the vibe of the night......i wish I was there to witness it!

A special performance too because it is an early example...a new showcasing in a way of the heavier, hard groove live sound of the band.....the start of the ''definitive'' live sound where the band sounds as great as it has always played. This really brought home to me how when I listen to Heartbreakers bootlegs from the 70's 80's and early 90's and how Stans drums sound like he is beating on an empty biscuit tin in live sound recording comparison to this bootleg, listen and hear the difference! I say this as someone who has the height of respect for Stans talent and delivery live ....the Heartbreakers seemed to come upon a better live sound after Stan though.....maybe live recording sound technology in a live setting just progressed and improved in the late 90's early 2000's....i'm not qualified to be definitive on sound recording techniques, but i'm certain the Heartbreakers started to sound better live in recordings both official and bootleg when Steve took the sticks....imagine what Stan would sound like with the modern ''live sound''....something more to speculate on i suppose.  

Benmont is a real star in this bootleg too....great crisp key flourishes...in fact the whole band individually and collectively sound great...so yes, I commend 21-11-2002 Frank Erwin Center Austin Texas as being possibly, probably certainly and maybe THE best live performace that I would hold close to my heart and defend to kingdom come...extended Mary Jane, Cant Stop The Sun, When A Kid Goes Bad....as well as some staple hits.....hell, the crowd went on a journey with the Heartbreakers that night in accepting and enjoying the 'new' or 'rare' songs as Tom and the band had the vibe of 'we're playing these songs, don't care if you like them, focus on playing and enjoying them on stage...and hey..the magic translates and resonates to enough of the crowd to create something special for the open minded in the crowd that in turn infiltrated the free fallin' casuals as well to create something very special.....having succeeded in this wondrous cosmic art form, it begs the question why The Heartbreakers havn't gone back to this particular well more often since then....but hey, we have plentiful threads about that particular connundrum here!

Listen to and enjoy this bootleg, it prompted me to go on a stream of consciousness post here if nothing else, but that's just scratching the surface! :) One of my most treasured boots!!!

as Tom is wont to say himself at times! :) This is an important question. One one level you could get overwhelmed with so much choice over 40 years...how can you be definitive...right?

Exactly. I go to the Fillmore, not because I think it's necessarily the best  but because it is a really energetic performance, covering different parts of their career, there's good jamming and a fun atmosphere and it's excellent quality.  It seems like the go-to show to share with someone who has a hankerin' for live TPATH.

As to the rest of your post, more later...

cheers

What do you think of their first tour with Steve? Modern day TPATH? Do you enjoy them live just not as much as pre Jeff Lynne?

cheers

Well seeing as I've only seen the band live with Steve and not Stan, I can honestly say I have enjoyed every show I have gone to with the only craw in my side being set list structure post 2002. I do think Steve is a great drummer and talented as hell, but the way Tom and Mike kind of want the drums played leaves little room for a sound of passion and fury that you got out of Stan, Just listen to Stan playing "Breakdown" live and Steve today playing it. Two totally different beasts. It's not Steve's fault I know, but it's that swagger and style that helped make them a defining rock band. It'd be like if they totally muted Benmont's style or hell, replaced him on keyboard. The band would never sound the same. But also, Steve seems more relaxed then Stan and I think his personal demeanor adds to that more lay back style too.

I do think modern TPATH is great too. I love that they just are out there adding more blues and country stylings to their playing and music but it's honestly only on their new material such as Mojo and Hypnotic Eye. I don't particularly hate post-Jeff Lynne but I do have to be in the mood for it. Like I won't go out of my way to listen to Full Moon Fever unless I'm feeling it. I don't think I'll ever be able to figure out and reconcile why I love ELO, Lynne's work with George and Roy and others but not with TPATH.

Defiantly the final night at the Fillmore in 97,  The encore was as long as the main set.  One of the best versions of Gloria that I ever heard. Especially with the crowd singing over the course and in time.  The band just really nailed it all night long.

Well seeing as I've only seen the band live with Steve and not Stan, I can honestly say I have enjoyed every show I have gone to with the only craw in my side being set list structure post 2002.

If Tom approached "set list structure" as he did recording a new album the concerts would be an enjoyable mix of hits and deep cuts, with some interesting reworked versions of songs.

Just listen to Stan playing "Breakdown" live and Steve today playing it. Two totally different beasts. It's not Steve's fault I know, but it's that swagger and style that helped make them a defining rock band. It'd be like if they totally muted Benmont's style or hell, replaced him on keyboard. The band would never sound the same. But also, Steve seems more relaxed then Stan and I think his personal demeanor adds to that more lay back style too.

I do think modern TPATH is great too. I love that they just are out there adding more blues and country stylings to their playing and music but it's honestly only on their new material such as Mojo and Hypnotic Eye

Thanks for sharing that.

My perception seems  the consensus is that Stan's playing, while filled with subtleties on record had more of a wild swinging energy in concert, while Steve has more of a precise heavy beat. 

cheers

On October 27, 2015 at 10:44 AM, TomFest said:

Hard to beat that last Fillmore '97 show - just for length, if nothing else.

I was thinking about this just now, and it could be the one simply based on length, sound quality performance and it seems to summarize the band's overall live approach, with hits and lots of covers as well as some gently redone tunes and of course, some long jams. And the sound quality is excellent. There's a real warm feel to this concert, like you're right there in the theatre listening to them play and a bit of an off-the-cuff casual approach.

I'm glad this one was a radio broadcast.

cheers