MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Wildflowers (the album) and a bunch of other stuff

It's probably like this with most rock bands:

http://bravewords.com/news/fans-to-ac-dc-change-the-setlist

FANS TO AC/DC - "CHANGE THE SETLIST!"

November 6, 2009, 9 years ago

AC/DC fans have issued a formal complaint to the band via the website www.acdcfans.net to change the show setlist. The Black Ice tour has featured the same songs in the same order since the start of the tour.

Says the site:

"On the current Black Ice World Tour, during which some of us having travelled across Europe, the United States and flown between the two continents (with flights already booked to Australia to catch the Australian leg), we have listened to you play the same great songs each and every night. We absolutely appreciate every song you play, but we can't help but wonder if the band is getting a little bored of playing the same songs night after night.

Are you aware there are thousands of fans just like us who have spent months discussing the Black Ice World Tour setlist, every one of them hoping that the band will play something other than songs geared towards casual fans? - the sort of fans that put money in your pockets, but who don't have the same level of passion for your music as us. They may cheer at the concerts, they may go home happy... but they only came to hear Thunderstruck. They don't eat, sleep and shit AC/DC like we do.

As the greatest band on Earth, we think it is a travesty that you are not playing songs that are dear to yourselves and your long term loyal fans - the songs from albums that critics wrote off, but which we both know are some of the finest from your back catalog.

So, we'd like you to consider changing the setlist. We won't be rude and say "play this" or "don't play that" - we'll leave it to you to decide - surprise us!

Please give us, and the many thousands like us, some hard hittin', heavy rockin' tracks that we, the true long term fans of AC/DC, know and love.

Thank you for your time and your music."

48 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

being in the fortunate position of instant access to lots of songs, means we can easily play that fun game of: one song + many bands = many covers... what do you feel each band contributes? which are your favourites? how would you cover it?

In my opinion, probably the best cover is Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower.

Took a shuffling, harmonica riddled song and turned it into an epic, filled with emotional fluid guitar solos building to one of the best outro solos he ever played. Completely transformed the song so thoroughly while emphasizing the theme and feel through his reworking that I don't even think of it as a Bob Dylan song. It sounds epic and forlorn, rocking yet light with a deft touch. And the recording doesn't sound dated at all.

There's cover songs I enjoy but mostly I'd rather listen to the original. Maybe others will chime in here and run with it. 

cheers

3 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Briskly: yes well, if we must go down this rabbit hole, you might also be aware that four years later Malcom Young was diagnosed with Alzheimer's as he increasingly could no longer remember or play songs he wrote. 

Well, that's horrible. I'm sorry to hear that.

Certainly fans could critique the set list and still feel sadness at what happened to him.

The above is pretty much the extent of my ac/dc knowledge.

That's alright, don't beat yourself up about it. Maybe it wasn't national news where you live. But on topic, before moving to happier things, funeral procession was unbearably poignant: pallbearers carrying the coffin & Angus carrying Malcolm's Gretch in its case & gently laying it in hearse alongside coffin. 

1 minute ago, Big Blue Sky said:

That's alright, don't beat yourself up about it. 

Ha, well I haven't and have no intent to beat myself up over ac/dc. I still think they're a shite band.

2 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Maybe it wasn't national news where you live.

I can't tell if you're teasing or not. Regardless I'm sure it must've been pretty big news, they're quite a popular band but I don't recall hearing about it. Nor about his death, etc. Sometimes I learn about info on musical groups/singers/pop stars I've no interest in and sometimes not.  

cheers

Just now, Big Blue Sky said:

Okay. No I'm not teasing. I'm talking about a funeral. Yes it was on national news as it was basically a state funeral. 

Thanks for clarifying, it just read weirdly to me: wasn't national news where you live. Seems like the death of the guitarist for a major rock band would be pretty large news, especially since the US loves them.

cheers

counting slowly to 10.

Okay, so looks as though this is news to you - but since you're not a fan of that particular band, can i say, well, it probably doesn't matter to you personally. 

It was fucking big news to some people. People like Dave Grohl noticed & expressed sorrow. You just happened to not notice it. That's okay. 

I don't know how it was reported in the US. From what you say, I'm assuming it wasn't national news that day.  But in one nation it was national news. 

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-28/malcolm-young-acdc-guitarist-farewelled-at-funeral-service/9200134

and over at the heavier end of rock & roll music people also noticed

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-11-19/rock-world-reacts-to-malcolm-young-death/9165664

3 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:
4 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I'd rank their performances of "Route 66", "I Fought The Law", "Should I Stay or Should I Go", "Don't Bring Me Down", "Louie, Louie", and "Bye Bye Johnny" as highlights.  And they played those quite a lot; many people were able to experience them in person or via recording (remember that even the "Live Anthology" had a lot of covers).    

True! 

& "Somethin' Else" & "Baby, Please Don't Go"... also from the early years. 

Agreed - in fact I almost listed "Something Else" with those others.   For me the first memorable "Baby Please Don't Go" by TPATH was to start out their 2000 Bridge School show (which I heard live via the internet at the time).    They must have played it before that, but I don't think of it as an "early" (i.e. Stan era) cover.  If it was, I missed it.  But TPATH did do a nice job with it.  Not a lot different than the "Them" version however.   

I do think they did a lot of mediocre songs as covers, in addition to the ones we've mentioned.  Though with "Gloria" it wasn't so much the song itself that bored me, it was that long story that went with it.  Either way, they played it too much.  "Cry To Me" was ok, but I'd have rather had one of their own songs.  Regarding other covers heavily played by TPATH, "I Just Wanna Make Love to You" is overdone by everyone, and as a cover Foghat "owned it".  Same for "Around and Around" and "Little Red Rooster", if someone covers those songs it should be the Rolling Stones.   "I'm A Man", I don't know - maybe Chicago (the band).  "Green Onions" did sound a lot like Booker T and the MGs, maybe too much so. 

That's the problem with covers; if you don't make them sound enough different from the original, what's the point?  Sometimes a good cover can bring some energy to a show, but other times it just makes me feel I'm missing a chance to hear the band's own material.  I suppose it's even worse for me as a fan to hear TPATH doing a slowly dragging long cover, while ignoring huge chunks of their own great incredibly deep song catalog.    

17 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

I don't know how it was reported in the US. From what you say, I'm assuming it wasn't national news that day. 

No, I meant the opposite. I'm sure it was huge news; they're a big band over here.  I meant that I must've just not heard about it or if I did, just dismissed it since I never cared for them. But more likely the former as what you said really didn't sound familiar at all to me.

cheers

1 hour ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

In my opinion, probably the best cover is Hendrix's All Along The Watchtower

I'd have to agree with that.  And I'm not much of a fan of either Hendrix or Dylan.  But Hendrix re-worked that song into something else, something much better, effectively a new song.     

In fact a lot of the "best" covers were originally Dylan songs.  The cover of "Mr. Tambourine Man" by William Shatner, I mean by The Byrds, is deservedly a classic.  Same for their cover of "Turn, Turn, Turn" which has Biblical verse and Pete Seeger music.  Those two songs define The Byrds for me more than their own songs.    And they were quite different sounding than the originals, which is essential for a great cover.   They also did a nice job with Dylan's "My Back Pages", though I like Dylan's original too (rare for me to like his originals, but that's a terrific song).

Hard to think of a lot of other "famous" covers, no way can I commend the Lenny Kravitz version of American Woman vs. the Guess Who original.  Yeah I still hate what he did to Petty's song "You Come Through".  Maybe in time I'll think of some other great, famous cover.  The Beatles "Twist & Shout" comes to mind as famous, but I never thought it was that great of a song.  No denying the power of Lennon's vocal performance though.  And important because of who The Beatles were, and what they became. 

In terms of my personally liking some lesser-known covers, I like the Rolling Stones version of "Just My Imagination", quite a lot.  And this may shoot my TPATH credibility, so laugh if you must, but as an 80's pop-rock song I like Pseudo Echo's "Funkytown", which transformed a weird, slow and worthless 70's disco song into one that truly grooves with some energy (to paraphrase the song).                 

Psychotic Reaction - you gotta like that, surely? ❤️

Jaguar & Thunderbird and basically all their Chuck Berry songs. ❤️

Take Out Some Insurance sung in Gainesville ❤️❤️ (though Southern Accents there is phenomenal & backs your point about how valuable original material is)...

Dylan's Lay Down Your Weary Tune  [This is on wiki so it must be true ;-) ] 'Upon hearing The Byrd's version, Bob Dylan told Roger McGuinn: "Up until I heard this, I thought you were just another imitator... but this has got real feeling to it." '

Dylan's If You've Gotta Go, Go Now by Manfred Mann and also Cowboy Junkies version (for the band rocking out like they are The Heartbreakers, just with a female vocalist). 

6 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Take Out Some Insurance sung in Gainesville ❤️❤️

Psychotic Reaction was terrific, in large part because Stan was singing it, though Benmont's keyboard work was also stellar.  Jaguar & Thunderbird was decent, especially in the early days when they didn't have a lot of original material.  But both of those were played out, and I'd rather hear more of their original material than those songs again.   

Other Chuck Berry songs - Bye Bye Johnny was certainly a highlight of the North Carolina 1989 show.  The 1987 Jacksonville performance however, doesn't seem that great - again I'd rather hear their own songs than that lackluster performance, or the others I've heard from the 1987 tour.  Carol - not a good song, and they played it far too much (51 times).  Around & Around - "ok" but not a highlight for me, and already covered numerous times by others, most famously The Rolling Stones. 

Take Out Some Insurance - boring.  Seemed like TP played that as a tribute to his dad (or perhaps a sly dig at his dad), an insurance salesman.  For What It's Worth - boring and overdone by others.  Thirteen Days (26 times) - very boring, perhaps meaningful to the band, but what does the audience care about that?  I don't understand why TP liked JJ Cale's music so much, also giving us the boring songs Call Me The Breeze (32 times) and I'd Like To Love You Baby (18 times).  Apparently TP was friends with JJ, played at his concerts at least once.  Knockin' On Heaven's Door - snooze.  Ballad of Easy Rider - no thanks, even though I get the Roger McGuinn/Bob Dylan connection.   Lucille - nope, leave the Little Richard covers to McCartney.  Little Maggie (30 times) - who cares?  Again, these songs not only made the concerts boring (at those points) for many of us, but it's criminal (kind of) that these covers replaced what could have been the band's own great - but never or rarely played - songs. 

But then there's: Any Way You Want It (orig. by DC5) - terrific cover by TPATH, I don't think anyone mentioned that one recently.  High energy song, the type of cover that worked well for the band, as long as the covers didn't get disproportionately large (and crowd out the Petty originals).   Just my thoughts on the covers, I thought most TPATH fans had similar views on them, but apparently the covers vs. originals issue is as polarizing as the Wildflowers album.   

On 8/27/2019 at 9:00 PM, mikemono said:

I'm pretty confident "Restless" never was played and that that it is just posted on that site in error. I'm similarly not convinced that "Rockin' Around (With You)" was played once in 1977, as setlistfm claims. I bet it was first played at the two Irvine CA shows in 1983 (with one of the nights' recording of "Rockin'" making it onto Pack Up The Plantation). I think people's memories from the late 70s and early 80s is finicky and unreliable, and that's why there's so much discrepancy among early set lists/dating.

Technically, I don't think it's an error. The two performances of "Restless" are almost certainly an entirely different Carl Perkins song of the same name, not the YGGI song. The performances are dated from the Fillmore run in 1997, which makes sense because the Heartbreakers recorded the song with Perkins around that time and Perkins himself probably made a guest appearance at those shows. TP didn't like the YGGI song, and it would be shocking if he took it out of mothballs to debut it 20 years later.

15 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

So, we'd like you to consider changing the setlist. We won't be rude and say "play this" or "don't play that" - we'll leave it to you to decide - surprise us!

You make a grown man cry here.. Really, please.. It's so beautiful, because it's so true.

Right, many groups of fans dealt with these things and sure the ones of us who felt a waste of cosmic talent and moments of magical edge on behalf TPATH due to TP's set list approach (or just missed a lot of great songs for apparently no really good reasons) were never alone in our despair. I never thought we were. I was always aware of the fact that there are bands that create live, and bands that recreate. (Only issue with me is that TPATH to some extent went from one to the other over time, and to me that was a waste).

So we were not alone. Still, we werent the ones sending that letter.  Shame on us. That would be the real fan to do, arguably. Not that I didn't try, in my way, to write that letter a thousand times, but formally, I never did.

Then again, different bands, different crowds, different realities. Most hard core TPATH fans I ever met, not only did most of them not find the lack of variation a problem, they even thought it was the point and argued passionately in it's defence, like a ritual it was how they wanted things to be, forever, amen. 

Either way, there is something touching, almost absurdly nice with that letter.. the curse of obsession between the lines.. Makes me want to say, it's ok to be sad, it's ok with puzzlement or disbelief, to look for answers... Still, if it slowly stops being rock'n'roll, and if you slowly stop liking it.. once you find your idol changing sides in the big cosmic race for adoration and bread.. then perhaps it's time to let go.. You are yourself part of the equation. But I sure do know the feeling... The what ifs. The potential....

Then. The covers.. After things I've said, here and before, I guess I owe myself to not drop that particular ball..  I'll return with my best examples.. eventually. Although they are really too many to list, and really... The whole concept is so much more integral to rock'n'roll and popular music DNA and our understanding of it, that it's crazy. It's everywhere. Jimi's Watchtower.. yea.. jeeze.. what a premium cut. A gold standard, certainly.

Oh.. crap.. "surprise us"? It's killing me. It's pathetically brilliant.

13 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Yes, I enjoy that one quite a bit, not just because of the novelty of Stan singing but the energy the band played it with; I was actually pleased to hear the live show from the Last Dj tour where they played it again; though the Take The Highway version is probably my favorite for nostalgia reasons. I like how one part of the song swaggers along and the other part goes into hyper mode, fun to see Stan switch from one gear to the next, and of course, I enjoy hearing Mike rake the pick against the strings making that wonderful sound during the fast part.

cheers

25 minutes ago, Shelter said:

So we were not alone. Still, we werent the ones sending that letter.  Shame on us. That would be the real fan to do, arguably. Not that I didn't try, in my way, to write that letter a thousand times, but formally, I never did.

Yes good for AC/DC fans to send that letter.  However, it was addressing a somewhat different issue than what Petty & Heartbreakers fans were experiencing.  The AC/DC fans were unhappy that the concerts had the same songs in the same order for every show - of the same tour.  Frankly as a fan attending an individual concert on a tour, I wouldn't care if they played the same setlist in New York, Boston, Philadelphia, Chicago, LA, etc. as long as we're talking within the same tour. 

Now in the age of concert recordings, we like having different songs within the same tour.  But most fans are just going to see the show when it comes to where they live, rather than traveling to different cities during the same tour.   The problem I had with most of the TPATH tours after 1995, was that there wasn't a lot of variation in the setlist even from tour to tour. 

In 2001 the band toured, and prior to the tour TP said "we don't have an album to promote, we just want to tour".  Which should have opened things up to a far different setlist than in the 1999 or 1995 tours.  Instead the setlist was quite similar to that of the 1999 tour.  As was true of pretty much every tour since then.  I'm talking tours as opposed to residencies.  So TPATH fans had a different issue than AC/DC fans, although many TPATH fans also wanted more variety within the same tour.  I'd have been happy with more variety from tour to tour.  Did AC/DC ever respond to that fan letter?

It's okay. I listened to it early on when I found a copy of the live lp from the 70s at a record convention but it wasn't as good as Luna or Dog on the Run, I liked the upbeat energy but overall, it's not something I particularly care for. I guess Bye Bye Johnny is all right, I like the playing on it but again, not a fan. I recognize Chuck Berry's influence through all of rock and roll with his playing more than I listen to the man's music. I probably heard more guitar players play his signature lines than the originals.

Take Out Some Insurance sung in Gainesville

I don't even recall what Take out some insurance sounds like. I'll go listen. Oh boy, I couldn't even make it through that. Oh no. How could they play that song when so many of their own were neglected? Luna alone is superior to that and is more of a quiet song if they wanted to cool things off for a bit. The playing is good but no, those types of generic sounding  (groundbreaking at their time? I don't know) tunes don't do anything for me. I guess they work as a simple framework for Benmont or Mike to solo over which is the only selling point; and I like basic simple songs but I didn't like this at all.

cheers

you gotta like that, surely?

I like 13 Days quite a bit, something about the slow groove of it and the weary inflection in Tom's voice work well together. It's got a bit of a doomed march feel to it which I enjoy.

Travelin' Light is pretty good, You Are My Sunshine/Can't Get no sunshine is good, I used to like Louie Louie and Shout but they wore off, there's probably a few others I like but overall I'd have preferred hearing a TPATH original to a cover. Oh, their jamming with Hooker at the Fillmore was good.

cheers

3 hours ago, High Grass Dog said:

Technically, I don't think it's an error. The two performances of "Restless" are almost certainly an entirely different Carl Perkins song of the same name, not the YGGI song. The performances are dated from the Fillmore run in 1997, which makes sense because the Heartbreakers recorded the song with Perkins around that time and Perkins himself probably made a guest appearance at those shows. TP didn't like the YGGI song, and it would be shocking if he took it out of mothballs to debut it 20 years later.

I didn't notice that. Yes, there are bootlegs of some of those Fillmore shows with Perkins, and that song was played then. It is entirely different from the one on You're Gonna Get It! 
I'm still not convinced the original TPHB song "Restless" -  as distinguished by the bluesy Perkins one - was ever played in concert.

6 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

Carol - not a good song, and they played it far too much (51 times)

Agreed, never understood the appeal of this song though it was a welcome change at Red Rocks on their last tour.

Around & Around - "ok" but not a highlight for me, and already covered numerous times by others, most famously The Rolling Stones. 

I don't even recall what it sounds like but when I did listen to it, never made an impact.

Take Out Some Insurance - boring

Agreed.

Thirteen Days (26 times) - very boring,

I like this one.

Call Me The Breeze (32 times) and I'd Like To Love You Baby

Breeze I'll listen to if I'm in the mood for Benmont's solos but the song doesn't do anything for me. Same with I'd Like To Love.

Knockin' On Heaven's Door - snooze.

I like this one. The sparseness of it appeals to me and it's short. I like the version from Red Rocks from '02; that's a very good show overall.

Ballad of Easy Rider - no thanks,

No appeal. No interest in Mcguinn. I get why they'd play it with their connections but don't care for it.

Lucille - nope, leave the Little Richard covers to McCartney.  Little Maggie (30 times) - who cares? 

" - who cares?" Hahaha ha. First, Lucille, no interest in it. I guess if Benmont or Mike takes an extended solo I'll listen for that but c'mon. They had so many underplayed TPATH songs and they fill the set with stuff like this? I don't get it. Well, Shelter and others have made arguments and explanations which make sense so I guess I do get it. I just don't like it...!  And Little Maggie? Terrible. I remember purchasing the Fillmore show, High Grass Dogs on vhs, and my excitement slowly dissipating, especially during this long mellow segment. I think Scott sang this right? Awful. I didn't like it musically, didn't like his voice, didn't like any of it! Terrible. One of the worst covers they did and contributed to the overall feeling of a let down with that video release. The Hamburg Docks show is much better from that tour. Little Maggie. Oh no, some kind of weird blue grass song. Awful.

cheers

14 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

Yeah I still hate what he did to Petty's song "You Come Through". 

What don't you like about it? I think it's TPATH at their peak funkiness; from the weird note at the start, the snap-thud of the drums, and sweet guitar leads. And it has a false ending! I think it's one of their best songs. 

cheers