MaryJanes2ndLastDance

Wildflowers (the album) and a bunch of other stuff

1 hour ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

Maybe in the future young fans will show up at the PJ concerts, and EV will hand him/her the microphone for a song or two, to return the favor he's been granted by his own heroes.  

I know Neil Young has jammed with them on stage. And they've had random fans and others join them as well on stage. This may be pure torture for you so feel free to mute but if you jump to 1:39 it's a show from '98 when Dennis Rodman jumped on stage for a number of songs. I think some of the fans were annoyed at the time and some found it funny and some were annoyed and now find it entertaining; it's certainly memorable. Rodman and Eddie are friends. 

8 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

This may be pure torture for you so feel free to mute but if you jump to 1:39 it's a show from '98 when Dennis Rodman jumped on stage for a number of songs.

Yes I'm afraid it would be, but thanks for the link just the same.  At least it does show EV sharing the spotlight. 

19 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Well now, one could say it's a massive ego to be a rock musician in the first place.

Very true.  Certainly a large amount of confidence.  But I was really talking about taking the microphone at someone else's concert, not at one's own concert.  Someone thinking - "I realize the audience paid to hear someone else sing, but I think they'd prefer to hear me sing instead, at least for a song or two". 

19 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

As for his performances, I see a man happy to be on the stage and incredibly flattered to even be given the shot to sing along with Tom but if you see or perceive something else, again, I'm not here to change your mind, it's just a discussion.

And I see that too.  What we don't see are the thoughts of the people in the audience, and whether they think this guy is improving the show they paid to see, and expected to see, or detracting from it, or taking up time they'd rather see put to use by the actual band.   But I have no doubt Eddie Vedder is having a ball, living his dream.  It probably never enters his mind that some people in the audience wish he wasn't intruding on the concert they paid to see.

29 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I was just emphasizing their popularity, not that everyone is happy with a guest spot in a concert.

Yes but their is some question in my mind as to Pearl Jam/EV's actual popularity.  You seem to think it's very high with a typical "rock" audience, or at least with a TPATH audience.  I don't think it's particularly high, certainly not nearly high enough to be walking onto the stage with the major bands of the 60s, 70s, and 80s who were EV's heroes. 

EV seems to have a thing about crashing other people's concerts, more than anyone I've seen, at any level of popularity.  As I've said, I could see Paul McCartney or Mick Jagger or Chuck Berry having earned that kind of extremely wide appeal and elder statesman/pioneering status to be able to walk onto someone else's concert.  But even they don't do it at anywhere close to the rate EV does it.   

Ultimately though, it's up to the bands and their management to say "No, I don't think this is what our fans want, they paid to see us, not you".  Frankly I had imagined that if EV tried to climb onto stage with The Rolling Stones, Keith Richards would have swung his guitar at him, the way he famously did with a fan trying to crash the stage at the Hampton 1981 show (nationally broadcast live).  But instead they let EV sing alongside Mick, and on an officially released concert video (Bridges to Bremen, released this year).  Possibly to broaden sales of the DVD/Blu-Ray beyond regular Stones fans (the Stones might be rich but they don't hate money).  That's their decision, but they are creating a "fast forward" moment for a lot of fans of the actual band.  Or at least some disappointment in not hearing certain songs with only the Stones, no outside vocalists.

11 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Rodman and Eddie are friends.

So are Rodman and Kim Jon Un, apparently. Not that I would invoke this as a testament to Eddie's character or anything.

Further, there is at least one difference between Eddies, I've come to realize. Eddie Vedder never finished high school.

Then, vedder or not he went to Hollywood to get a tatoo, or met a girl out there with a tatoo too, I don't have a clue. The rest is, as far as I can see it, history.  

Its funny, Joe Walsh, Steve Winwood, Peter Wolf as well as Dan Zanes (Del Fuegos) and Dan Baird (Georgia Satellites) were among the bands I saw open for Tom and I was always surprised that there was not a single show I attended where any of them came out to jam or sing with the band after they left the stage. I've seen videos online of Tom with Steve Windwood and a few others.  Would have loved to see them play together and jam on a song or two.  The Replacements and My Morning Jacket (especially as they were completely forgettable) I'm glad didn't.  I'm pretty sure the Allman Brothers and another related act opened for one of the shows I saw but I cant find a few stubs to verify - would have loved to see them play a nice jam with those guys!   I suppose it boils down to who it is and if you are a fan of them or not. 

36 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I suppose it boils down to who it is and if you are a fan of them or not. 

Good point and goes back to what Drew was saying; I think it was in 08 Steven Winwood would do 2 cover songs with the band on stage. I like his voice but would've been annoyed at losing two spots in the set list for covers; though less about the vocalist in this case than the covers.

cheers

...and bumping Wildflowers (the album). How about "It's Good To Be King"? Is it odd to be singing about kings & queens if, you know, you grew up in a country that broke free from all that back in 1770s? Or are ideas of k & qs  compelling concept & imagery that works really well in songwriting? 

There's a possible flicker of a link to Bob Dylan - If Dogs Run Free from 1970. I'm not wildly claiming one song influenced the other, just appreciating how they fit together somehow. For me.

Lyrics: "The best is always yet to come / That's what they explain to me / Just do your thing, you'll be king / If dogs run free."

1 hour ago, Big Blue Sky said:

...and bumping Wildflowers (the album). How about "It's Good To Be King"? Is it odd to be singing about kings & queens if, you know, you grew up in a country that broke free from all that back in 1770s? Or are ideas of k & qs  compelling concept & imagery that works really well in songwriting? 

There's a possible flicker of a link to Bob Dylan - If Dogs Run Free from 1970. I'm not wildly claiming one song influenced the other, just appreciating how they fit together somehow. For me.

Lyrics: "The best is always yet to come / That's what they explain to me / Just do your thing, you'll be king / If dogs run free."

As an american born and raised in New England (ironic the name of my region) I generally think of term king not so much in terms of British rule but as the "top dog" in an area sort of "we would live like kings if we hit the lottery." so when I hear Tom singing about "It's good to be king, if just for a while, To be there in velvet, yeah, to give 'em a smile"  I think more along the lines of Mel Brooks or some rich dude.

AND HOLY CRAP I just discovered a misheard lyric by me. All these years I thought he was saying  'to be there with Elvis, yeah give him a smile" !!!!!!  I think the video had an Elvis impersonator around the time he sings that so......  mind blown! 😂

10 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

o when I hear Tom singing about "It's good to be king, if just for a while, To be there in velvet, yeah, to give 'em a smile"  I think more......... some rich dude.

That's pretty much how I took it to, and figured that was the common perception of the song, it's not about literal royalty. And the music fits the lyrics wistful longing.

cheers

3 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

How about "It's Good To Be King"? Is it odd to be singing about kings & queens if, you know, you grew up in a country that broke free from all that back in 1770s? Or are ideas of k & qs  compelling concept & imagery that works really well in songwriting? 

I'd say that for TP "king" is mostly a concept, not a desire to return to monarchy.   And on "It's Good To Be King", he's not king, he's just daydreaming about being king.   It appears that the singer "needs" to feel like a king once in a while, but only reaches that state in his mind.

4 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Very observant and, I believe, very true. Most certainly a tip of the hat, there, from Tom.. A nod if not a deeper connection lyrically or otherwise to Bob. Just a tinge of a very clever "theft", a borrowed imagery that grew to lend itself to a wider concept even, the dogs with wings, as it were.

Very clever construction that (and actually more in line with Bob's later lyrical style, as far as that goes) with the buldog that barks and the canary that sings.. to be effectively turned around in the rather ambiguous "I'll be King, when dogs get wings". Dark, smart humor somewhere underneath all that rather bright dreamy soundscape. A lot of lyrical twists here (and elsewhere on the album too) that kinda hints at Dylan's Time Out of Mind era writings. Then we shall remember that TOOM came out in 1997. So, what goes around, comes around... Interesting things to ponder.

On 9/20/2019 at 4:21 PM, Big Blue Sky said:

I think it works extremely well in songwriting. It underlines the notion that he's actually only dreaming about being at the top, because kings and queens always evoke fairy tale imagery. In my mind at least.

Though for me it's not necessarily being at the top or being rich but more about not having to report to anyone. There's a feeling of loneliness in the song as well, maybe because of the music (like Van Morrison sang, it's lonely at the top!).

And to me it's also an ambiguous kind of kingdom the character in the song dreams about or retreads to: "A sweet little queen who can't run away"... not the nicest of implications (lock her up in some tower or something).

It's a great, bittersweet song. I think the character is at a real low in his life, so maybe it's about resignation: "Excuse me if I have a place in my mind where I go time to time". Because, that's what the music tells us, the real world is too sad for him to take. At least sometimes.

6 hours ago, TwoGunslingers said:

only dreaming about being at the top, because kings and queens always evoke fairy tale imagery....

.... but more about not having to report to anyone. There's a feeling of loneliness in the song...

And to me it's also an ambiguous kind of kingdom the character in the song dreams about or retreads to: "A sweet little queen who can't run away"... not the nicest of implications (lock her up in some tower or something).

It's a great, bittersweet song. I think the character is at a real low in his life, so maybe it's about resignation: "Excuse me if I have a place in my mind where I go time to time". Because, that's what the music tells us, the real world is too sad for him to take. At least sometimes.

Good points.

cheers

Well this just made my day... from the Mike Campbell interview  @Big Blue Sky posted...

https://australianmusician.com.au/mike-campbell-interview-fleetwood-mac-heartbreakers-dirty-knobs/

Is there any future in The Heartbreakers doing something one day?
Good question. As you can see emotionally I’m not ready but I am open to it down the line. If I do anything with The Heartbreakers, the first thing and maybe only thing I would do … was to do what Tom wanted to do, which was to do a tour around the Wildflowers album and have different artists come in and sing the songs. He was going to be part of that. He said, we’ll have Jeff Lynne, you know whoever, Regina Spektor, Emmy Lou Harris … we’ll have different singers come in, they’ll come out and do the songs and we’ll back them up. We had been making rough plans to do that with him, so I know that is something that he would want. Whatever I do with the Heartbreakers, it’s got to maintain the integrity that we worked to build with him. I won’t do anything … I mean I am not going to bring in another singer to be Tom, ‘aint gonna happen. I could sing the songs but I ain’t going to do that, you know I am not him. I got to respect his memory. Also I just need more time to process what I am going through but that’s the way it would look, that would be the first project. Anything is open in the future but right now the idea of having them all in a room and going 1,2, 3, 4 and looking around … I can’t deal with even thinking about that right now, I’m just not ready.

💘💕  Can I help it if I still dream time to time...

48 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

Well this just made my day... from the Mike Campbell interview  @Big Blue Sky posted...

https://australianmusician.com.au/mike-campbell-interview-fleetwood-mac-heartbreakers-dirty-knobs/

💘💕  Can I help it if I still dream time to time...

Hope it comes together for ya, buddy! And you somehow get to see it.

cheers

4 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I mean I am not going to bring in another singer to be Tom, ‘aint gonna happen. I could sing the songs but I ain’t going to do that, you know I am not him. I got to respect his memory

I hadn't even considered the possibility of Mike singing lead vocals for TPATH instead of Tom.  His voice on I Don't Wanna Fight did sound a good bit like Tom's.  What Mike did a song like The Criminal Kind on lead vocals, or some other one that TP never did live?  We can dream about that, even though it won't happen. 

But if they do a Wildflowers with guest singers, I'd hope that Mike would sing lead on one of the songs.  And of course Stan, if he could find a song on that album (or one of the outtakes) he liked well enough to sing.  Then for the encore they put Stan on drums and have Mike sing lead for The Criminal Kind.  Probably dreaming too much there too. 

12 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I hadn't even considered the possibility of Mike singing lead vocals for TPATH instead of Tom.  His voice on I Don't Wanna Fight did sound a good bit like Tom's.  What Mike did a song like The Criminal Kind on lead vocals, or some other one that TP never did live?  We can dream about that, even though it won't happen. 

But if they do a Wildflowers with guest singers, I'd hope that Mike would sing lead on one of the songs.  And of course Stan, if he could find a song on that album (or one of the outtakes) he liked well enough to sing.  Then for the encore they put Stan on drums and have Mike sing lead for The Criminal Kind.  Probably dreaming too much there too. 

Have you been listening to the Bathroom Jams?  He has done a lot of songs lateley, Casa Daga most recently.  Mikes voice while always good has come a long way touring with Mac... He also did a number of songs with the Knobs last year at the Troubadour that were very well done and touching... He's not Tommy but he is damn good and I'd call him a triple threat with playing, singing and songwriting... :)

1 hour ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I'm unaware of "Bathroom Jams', where can I find those?  Mike sang Casa Dega?  I'd love to hear that.

https://www.mudcrutch.com/forum/index.php?/topic/16414-bathroom-jams-from-mike-campbells-instagram/&tab=comments#comment-320257

Casa Dega is on page 2.

cheers

4 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

I'm unaware of "Bathroom Jams', where can I find those?  Mike sang Casa Dega?  I'd love to hear that. 

You're in for quite a treat.

I agree, Mike = triple threat. Like you say, his voice is sounding fine, not just technically, but it has that elusive sense of tone emotion like TP had.

Also, yeah, it's a darn good interview - that music journo did a nice job with questions & the introduction (acknowledging how emotional it would all be). While also allowing room for happier thoughts, like them finding his "workhorse" guitar in a shop in Philly for a few hundred. Haha about card not working "so, here take what I have on me." I might try that, see how I get on. Maybe only works for dread-locked guitarists who shop-owners recognise.

Edited by Big Blue Sky