Sign in to follow this  
dollardime

When Tom put Billy Idol back in his box & The Heartbreakers played acoustic 12/4/1988 - Oakland Coliseum Arena (Oakland, CA)

Stan playing guitar, Howie on the pedel steel guitar (if that's even the right name for it) Significant posting I think as it is the Heartbreakers back together after a rocky period. LMUIHE was probably an apt headline for where they were at as well as an album released the previous year. There was creative friction, differences of opinion between personalities and differences about what The Heartbreakers actually were and indeed should be going forward at this point as per the individuals in the band. As John Lennon once said ''life is what happens to you when you're busy making other plans''  I think that all this chaos with a small 'c' so to speak is captured in this clip. Spirits colliding so to speak, but spirits still making great music because of and in spite of themselves. A very interesting period in the Heartbreakers history, where the constant is as always the great music.

Tomn references that ''it's great to have the Heartbreakers here all back together again''. My sense is that this was not a natural and or easy coming together at this point. I'm just glad that they did, it was one of those cross road moments in the history of the band I think.  

There's a lot to like here. Stan plays guitar. And Tom puts Billy Idol in his place most importantly of all. ''You thought Elvis was dead right?'' ;)

Yeah, how's that for a great post?! Actually, for some reason, I'd never seen this film before, although I long since have the recording on file. Hands down, Bridge School Benefit Concert of 1988 (the second one in the series, was it?) - is one of my all time favorite TPTH live recordings (and now also videos). So much fun, so different, so much of those things you mention above too -- Seems like such a transitional period, yes.. and this is some of what they come up with, what they did about it. Genius. "A lot to like", no sh*t! And a live take of Blue Moon of Kentucky to top it off. Priceless.

All in all - this always makes me want to hear even more of and about that aborted 1988 album of theirs, imagining what could have become of it (although, like has been said elsewhere, this being 'rough' times for the band perhaps helped paving way for Full Moon Fever, which if so is a great great thing.. so.. chicken or egg and all that jazz..) 

Since it's such an odd thing with the arrengement, set up and all, I just wish the video producer/camera men would have picked up on that a bit more and shot a few seconds less of TP face (sorry to say it) and a few more of Stan and Howie and the others. Some of the harmony works here are even more awesome than usual, perhaps it's just it being framed by this rather raw and lo-fi arrangements. And -- drum roll --  I must say, this is the one time I ever hear Don't Come Around Here No More and actually and truly love it - the ultimate version of that song. This is how it's done. Obviously. 

Ok, Refugee here might not be the best exeperiment I've ever heard, the time signature rips the groove to shreds I'm afraid, but all else about this.. This somewhat odd performance shows greatness on so many levels. As far as attitude and approach goes, all I can say is.. musicianship, perfection, way to go! 

Thank you for posting this! Really awesome, made my day!

A bit of perspective - this was a moment Tom was riding high from his participation in the Traveling Wilburys.  Maybe that had something to do with perceived attitudes in the band at that moment.  Tom working with other people without the Heartbreakers - we know this was a sore spot for Stan and Benmont.  And it got worse before it got better.

Anyway, a lot of the joy got knocked out of it as 2 days after this performance at Bridge School, Roy Orbison passed away.

^ It may not ever have gotten "better" after it got "worse" as far as Stan goes.

But certainly, regarding the perspective - like I meant to imply, it's exactly in that kind of light (or shall we say half-light) that this band performance comes off as so fascinating, intense and special to me. It's a weird moment in time in many ways. And a weird result.

And I'm glad I finally got to see the visuals of it.

And -- drum roll --  I must say, this is the one time I ever hear Don't Come Around Here No More and actually and truly love it - the ultimate version of that song. This is how it's done. Obviously. 

Thanks for posting this dollardime. Now you just gotta find a show with All or Nothing...!

I jumped right to Don't Come Around Here No More. I'd heard this is a special version and...it is! I loved this version. What a fantastic take on this song. They should play it in this style (with electric guitars of course and percussion, etc.) in concert. It would make for an interesting change. I love what he does with the quick handclaps! Phenomenal.

More on all this later.

cheers

Does anyone have a video of Tom's performance at either the 1986 or the 1989 Bridge concert?  

I recall seeing video of the 1986 performance sometime back.  It was solo acoustic and fantastic.  

I think this 1988 performance is great, especially "Even The Losers," "The Wild One, Forever," and "The Waiting" (though I wonder why they omitted the bridge).

On 10/21/2015 at 4:31 AM, Ben said:

Does anyone have a video of Tom's performance at either the 1986 or the 1989 Bridge concert?  

I recall seeing video of the 1986 performance sometime back.  It was solo acoustic and fantastic.  

I think this 1988 performance is great, especially "Even The Losers," "The Wild One, Forever," and "The Waiting" (though I wonder why they omitted the bridge).

I bump this thread. Because that performance of 1988, to me, is one of the all time best by this band. Incredible! 

Also, w/r/t above quote, this one is also absolutely fantastic and has resurfaced lately.. an almost entirely solo Tom.. a rare thing:

All in all.. if Neil ever consider a Bridge School Benefit Box Series, I would buy the Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers installment as soon as humanly possible, these shows are among the best you could ever see, imo.