12 hours ago, Shelter said:

Perhap just a big old dollar/crown on the front? 

I nearly wrote similar except I think it gives the cover over too much to the cynical view that the title song, Dreamville and Can't Stop the Sun refute. However, had one more time, that is, if they'd put more time into it they could've come up with a fun set of symbols for the songs and characters and went with that theme for the record. Without going back and perusing my copy, I think the antenna image could've worked nicely for the cover.

cheers

14 hours ago, Shelter said:

I like how they boiled it down to what people in general really think of when they think Tom Petty. That blond long hair

Instead of finding the old Album Covers topic, perhaps this discussion should've been in the Pictures of Tom section.

Or just let the whole big MOJO title be all of it.

I'd have preferred that, all black background and MOJO.

On YGGI, the font again: not the best

I agree, not good. 

cheers

1. Back to the album ... "It'll All Work Out" works for me.  Definitely. I hear it almost a waltz tune, do you know what I mean? I'd be thrilled if it was in a movie scene  - illustrating the bitter-sweet emotions of some couple's on-off relationship.  Aww, they could be dancing in the kitchen as a moment of emotion before she really does leave to be with the other guy.   No dialogue. Okay, whatever, change the production, mix it differently, whatever you want musically, but the essential song is just lovely. And yes, it feels closely related to the spirit of "Alright For Now" for me too. 
  2. Issue of iconic cover art from early on - so true in a way.  I read in a novel, a teenager saying something like:"Well, if I lived in Jane Austen's time, when there were, like, eighty books ever published in the whole world, all I'd need to do is publish some & people would say I was a Great Writer. But I've got no chance now there are so many books published every year."  Haha obviously it's more complex than that -  but the earliest of anything are often used later as the classic examples for comparison & imitation, so long as they're good. So following that logic, there's a definite advantage to both getting in early and being good. For example, many people regard John Coltrane's "Blue Train" as an iconic album cover.
  3. I don't really care for lists of "best of..." etc that Rolling Stone used to run.  Unless the journos & I happen to agree, in which case, yeah, they're a great idea.  I like to think appreciating art & music is a little more subjective & depend on each person's own opinions.
  4. In my album covers' comments earlier, I completely forgot to praise the awesomeness of the single images on each of the Playback covers. Almost as good as the bear cubs! and yes the painted horse, cowboy & rose in Mudcrutch 2 is a knock out. I framed mine. (I also framed "Plantations" vinyl cover for the planet suit.)

1. The layout & design of Hard Promises album works very well for me.  Very well indeed! I read that they were busy & didn't spend as much time on it & later regretted the cover image as not being very interesting.  (I'm looking at it right now, so it's not that I have an uber-sharp memory. And I, politely, disagree with that official opinion from the band). Everything about this album design is the bees knees 🐝for me & I only hope I can explain why. 🐾 Okay, no otters holding paws. 
  2. Typeface / font is good & interesting choice, I agr, for titles & lyrics & liner notes. Photographers listed include Joel Bernstein, Dennis Callahan, Henry Diltz,  Lynn Goldsmith and Benmont Tench. 
  3. As you know, on that cover, TP is in a record shop. I suppose it's a nod to the $8:95 fuss about sales prices.  Maybe, it's also because record shops are his alien mother ship, you know, a place where he feels at home and where Joel Bernstein (photographer) felt they could get an unposed image. Which is a different approach to DTheTorpedoes posed cover shot.  Yet TP looks (to me anyway) almost unrecognisable, and like I said earlier, I often think "So, who is that random guy?" I love that he's wearing an outfit that is a classic for vinyl-browsing cred in 1981 or 2019: slightly retro leather jacket & jeans.  Even Jack Black's snarky character in High Fidelity would show some respect to the jacket, I feel. ❤️
  4. Inside, you get that big b&w photo of band in recording studio with everyone looking all thoughtful and caught up in the moment, perhaps working out a new song. This could work as a poster.  Mike's tugging on his earlobe & looking at the floor (thinking of a solo?).  Ron & his bass take up about 1/3 of that image. Tom's wearing some kind of Christmassy Scandinavian knit sweater (aww, adorable & so different from the cover).  Elsewhere, there's another image from the same shoot where TP, who's on left is smiling across the studio to where Stan & his drums are set up on the right.  Both seem to be moments of connection where you can see them exchanging looks & maybe doing that band-ish thing of communicating without words.  Now that's the power of a clever photographer, to catch those moments. 📸🎥
  5. There's a second large black & white image of them going in action, walking away from us through a louvre slatted door. Onto a stage perhaps? It somehow has a vibe that they're just about to go up "out of the trenches and over the top" from World War One. In that tense & focused moment, TP's looking back over his shoulder & laughing with the photographer & connecting through the lens to us.  It breaks that 4th wall, as they say in theatre, allowing a sense of connection.  I could be wrong about all this, but anyway, a great choice for an album photo back in 1981.  It's the image Cameron Crowe used in social media in Oct 2017.  I know, sorry. Gulp. Anyway. So this image, ever since then, feels deeply poignant, but presumably it's an image that shows something true of the laughing TP who was Crowe's friend ever since Crowe first interviewed them early on in their career. 
  6. There's an equally large b& w of a Gibson Flying V.  For me, this choice says "We are about the music, not just our image, & don't you forget it". Which is ironic, as the Flying V (here representing their hard-core musicality) is sometimes also a guitar that some people use to strike a bit of a pose & create an image.  I guess that's different with TPATH, though,  as they had seriously been using the Flying V since 1977ish.
  7. As well, there's your back cover pin-board of many small images - a couple of images of each guy & their musical kit 🎸🎹 . They've also snuck in some humor with image of alligators 🐊 & Benmont laughing his ass off as someone's crawling under his piano.  Yet, wait, look, there's also an image from a classic whole band photo shoot in a photographer's studio (bottom left hand corner). There's what, 20 photos from that shoot, available online?  (There's one where TP's crouched low & running while the others are clustered together laughing.) Anyway, maybe they did this photo shoot to see if they could get a good cover image? Someone will know! 

Okay, that's a lot from me about Hard Promises & I haven't even mentioned the songs! Another time... I'm not sure if you'll see that as a threat or a promise 😀

13 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

2ndly: What's this collector info you mention about Hard Promises cover being different in UK? 

Why yes. Classic in a a way. But if the usual cover is a little busy, this one is quite the opposite. Rather stylish though..

https://www.discogs.com/Tom-Petty-And-The-Heartbreakers-Hard-Promises/release/1519469 

13 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

1stly: oh yeah, debut album's back (the tattoo heart logo) would've been great on the front! But I say that from now, looking back, because they used that logo all the way down the years & it's so cool. Arguably it's a sensible decision to use front of first album for photo of singer or band & to name album for the singer/band. 

For me, the music speaks for itself, I don't really need the band or dude/dudette to be up front. Good art instantly become part of the music vibe for me, especially in the format and feel of a vinyl record + package. The visual and the feel on the fingers is part of the total experience, but it's more like all that is sucked in with the music and becomes associated with it, than the other way around. Although I suppose if the artwork is good enough it can lend some minor hue or atmosphere to the sound and vibe of the album. That kinda happen a little with Wildflowers to me, that very special brown and that very semi-rough quality of the CD slipcase paper... an instant autumnal feel and "it's only a broken heart"... There was a connection there, not always found.

Still, like you say, a nice introduction, visually with a friendly face on the first album sleeve, like "Hi, here I am!". 

That said, I was a bit confused as to what I really wrote and meant w/r/t that first album, after reading your comments. What I meant to say was that, yeah. I think it works great the way it is. The original heart-logo is of course a classic. In the early days they used a sticker with that one to just slap unto all their white label singles and promos. Perfect sleeves, both very stylish and very consistent.  Very brand building. ---- What I was going for as an alternative, had they had the chance to reidentify themselves as band fully, instead of a solo act with backing band they way they originally visualized this debut project, was to use those other band pictures from the back of the sleeve on the front instead.

This is what it actually looks like (original Shelter print, from before the days of the-man-in-the-moon label design):

https://www.discogs.com/Tom-Petty-And-The-Heartbreakers-Tom-Petty-And-The-Heartbreakers/release/3178015  

And if you work with the upper half only, on this sleeve, you may get close to what I'm after i/t/o alternative idea:

https://www.discogs.com/Tom-Petty-The-Heartbreakers-Gone-Gator-Sampler/release/2048612

I think that would perhaps have been the the perfect classic. I dare anyone with good designer-ware on their computer to make that idea come alive. My photoshop licence is long since shot... 

31 minutes ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Yet, wait, look, there's also an image from a classic whole band photo shoot in a photographer's studio (bottom left hand corner).

Right. And that, voila.. is the back side art on the UK version (link in above post).

Hard Promises

Oh THAT image - all details bleached out -  i think of it as an artwork maybe called "the eyes to the soul of the recently bereaved". 

Oh, I knew it existed, I just thought it was used for publicity or for a single. Uh, wow, I'm reeling at thought of that image instead of "browsing for vinyls" who is at the other end of the spectrum (much more authentic, no filters or photography trickery).

Zzzzzaaaaaagggghhhh sound of my brain right now.

Debut

Right - I like that, I really do - photos of everyone else too, not just Tom Petty as a solo act. Redford Cowboy, I do believe here's a challenge for you, if you're interested at all.  I hear you, Shelter, about musicians breaking into music without relying too much on image.  There've been cases, i think, where, historically, issues like a culture's racism was a factor....Apparently Chuck Berry was heard as sounding "white" while Elvis Presley sounded "coloured" - though I don't really understand all that stuff. Ideally, it's more about letting their music speak for itself? Surely?

Am actually rolling on floor laughing. So got up, dusted off,  returned to screen chuckling so much I got hiccups. Then discog recommendations.  Am now just safely back from heroically resisting being sucked into irresistible more-ness / black hole of discogs.com. If you don't hear from me, I'm hiding my credit card from myself & maybe promising myself that I can go visit my favourite local vinyl & CD shop instead.  

• In the meantime, hey I saw that sampler one of debut earlier yesterday, on discogs, but thought it was a fake-up someone made recently.  Is it a real original sample? 

Hats off to idea of slapping a band logo sticker onto blank white album cover. Up there for thinking, down there for dancing. (Does that slang translate? Rough meaning is  "you're using your brain, well done".)

PS still going zzzzzzaaaaagggghhhh at idea of bleached out Eyes To The Soul image as cover on Hard Promises.  Almost as weird as that Lolita-like girl on American Girl single that TP talks about in documentary interview with Cameron Crowe, saying "she's not the girl we imagined, we had to change that UK cover". 

Still some outbreaks of chuckling happening here. 

1 hour ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Hats off to idea of slapping a band logo sticker onto blank white album cover.

Here's one example, the UK 5 tracks edition of Official Live 'Leg record. 

https://www.discogs.com/Tom-Petty-And-The-Heartbreakers-The-Official-Live-Bootleg/release/5425804

PS. Speaking of being labelled as punk...  An original similar heart-logo sticker was actually included as bonus insert with this split LP compilation series actually (so that one could slap it on one's own forehead before leaving the house in the morning, I suppose.) :

https://www.discogs.com/Ramones-Tom-Petty-The-Heartbreakers-Rock-On-Ramones-Tom-Petty-The-Heartbreakers/release/4150622

9 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

As you know, on that cover, TP is in a record shop. I suppose it's a nod to the $8:95 fuss about sales prices.  Maybe, it's also because record shops are his alien mother ship, you know, a place where he feels at home and where Joel Bernstein (photographer) felt they could get an unposed image.

Ha ha, good point about the mother ship! Yes indeed. I generally don't like covers of band members (unless its for a live record) but this one works, largely because of the unguarded look on Tom's face, the setting, coloring etc. I think it also helped cement the incorrect public perception of Tom as being mister-laid-back-easy-going-guy. 

cheers

48 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Ha ha, good point about the mother ship! Yes indeed. I generally don't like covers of band members (unless its for a live record) but this one works, largely because of the unguarded look on Tom's face, the setting, coloring etc. I think it also helped cement the incorrect public perception of Tom as being mister-laid-back-easy-going-guy. 

cheers

As opposed to an intense bad-ass?

To be fair, that idea of Laid-back-easy-going-guy regularly pops up all through their career. For example: music videos for "Free Fallin' " and "You Don't Know How It Feels" are both what my frenemies call his stoner anthems. Just cos he's smiling doesn't mean he's high! Maybe he is, maybe he's not. But, hey, stoners enjoy music too & buy records too (unless they're in serious wake-and-bake phase in which case they might want to, but somehow not get around to it). 

Is partly why I like the informal vibe of "Hard Promises" album cover. It seemed a deliberate choice to do something different following the very polished & posed (& excellent) image fronting "Damn The Torpedoes". So this is why I just can't get my head around the b&w image Shelter showed us. Talk about processed - you can see the photographers' (metaphorical) finger prints all over that image. Wonder how it'd look beforehand? 

11 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

Redford Cowboy, I do believe here's a challenge for you, if you're interested at all.  

I'm always up for a little design challenge, BBS. You reeled me it. Without spending too much time, I did this. Is this what you guys are talking about (something like this)? Basically having the cover of the first record feature the whole band, not just Tom solo? Anyways, I tried to find an early Heartbreakers image that could work...I'm not ready to make a collage of the 5 band members just yet...And wow, Ron is definitely standing close to Tom.

TPATH Self Titled.jpg

1 hour ago, RedfordCowboy said:

I'm always up for a little design challenge, BBS. You reeled me it. Without spending too much time, I did this. Is this what you guys are talking about (something like this)? Basically having the cover of the first record feature the whole band, not just Tom solo? Anyways, I tried to find an early Heartbreakers image that could work...I'm not ready to make a collage of the 5 band members just yet...And wow, Ron is definitely standing close to Tom.

TPATH Self Titled.jpg

🐊🐊🐊🐊🐊  especial bonus 🐊 for not spending too much time pixelling out their logo tee-shirts & for keeping the smoky cloud behind them so it's not too black on black. 

Ron & Tom haha maybe it's just the angle - Ron's behind Tom?

3 hours ago, Big Blue Sky said:

To be fair, that idea of Laid-back-easy-going-guy regularly pops up all through their career. For example: music videos for "Free Fallin' " and "You Don't Know How It Feels" are both what my frenemies call his stoner anthems. Just cos he's smiling doesn't mean he's high! Maybe he is, maybe he's not. But, hey, stoners enjoy music too & buy records too (unless they're in serious wake-and-bake phase in which case they might want to, but somehow not get around to it). 

Girl on LSD helped carry that idea over, also a lot of the way he conducted himself on stage. Rare was the time the band just shot from one song to the next, maybe at the start and end of shows, otherwise Tom let there be some pauses between songs or just the way he'd say things, very deadpan, dry wit, laconic even, just made him seem unflappable. If he hadn't revealed things like stage fright I don't think anyone would've ever guesed.

cheers

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I like the mock up but Stan and Ron having the logo on their shirt is overkill. 

They should've all changed their last name to HEARTBREAKER. "And on piano, Benmont Heartbreaker. On drums, Stan Heartbreaker. And me, I'm Tom Pe---Heartbreaker. And we're the Heartbreakers."

Nice idea in theory.  Worked with those Wilbury brothers.  But...

Ramones called. They want their idea back. 

What if musicians legally change their names while they are still in their starter band? Peaking too soon? 

• Tommy Sundowner? Stan Road Turkey? Benmont Mudcrutch?
  • More widely.... John Quarryman? Paul Quarryman?
  • George Beatle ("If you're going to be in a rock and roll band, it might as well be the Beatles.")