Sign in to follow this  
dollardime

ECHO - the most real, honest, genuine heartfelt album.

Thanks to the original poster for this topic!

I had to dig up my password just to comment on this absolute masterpiece of an album.

If I could make just one request of TP&tHB— ... it would to play the title track live.

Drop in about the 4 minute mark ... Can you imagine what Mike could do with this live?!?!?!

The GREATEST TP song ever -- how has this not been played live?

C'mon guys ... Just once ... Please ...

Ha ha ha, I think it's a fun song. What do you make of Heartbreaker's Beach Party? It was also played during the Echo tour, quite a fun departure for them as well.

cheers

I like Beach party for what it is a fun song. Have you seen the MTV Beach party docu?

Heartbreakers Beach Party is what a fun song sounds like in my book. I Don't Wanna Fight simply sounds like a bad rock song by a third grade garage band. No fun in it for me.

I agree. I think some fans find it hard to say anything negative about TPATH.

If any other band had done that song, most folks would say it is rubbish.

If I could make just one request of TP&tHB— ... it would to play the title track live.

Drop in about the 4 minute mark ... Can you imagine what Mike could do with this live?!?!?!

-- how has this not been played live?

Good point! I think it would work live. I was surprised they never played it and checked out setlist.fm. Turns out they played in once. 

cheers

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/tom-petty-and-the-heartbreakers/1999/the-fillmore-san-francisco-ca-63d1badb.html

I agree. I think some fans find it hard to say anything negative about TPATH.

If any other band had done that song, most folks would say it is rubbish.

I don't know, I think there is some interesting and varied comments on this site, both laudatory and critical of TPATH. Interesting point about another band doing that song. It's possible some give the song some slack because it's from TPATH. I think everyone, band and fans, understand  it's not a serious song but just something different and fun for them and was probably needed as a bit of levity on Echo. 

Mike's voice is odd and it appeals to me, and I like the simple riff and the luvva chorus. But I also understand why people don't like the song. Out of their large catalog of deep cuts, this wouldn't be one I'd want them to bring back, though if they did, I'd be happy because it was something different from the same old, same old.

cheers

I read some of Conversations with Petty and he discusses the creation of Swingin'; how the band were all just jamming a bunch of noise when Tom began playing chords he liked, and one by one the band fell in and he improved the lyrics. That would be a great digital bonus for the hardcore fans, putting up the actual version with the jamming at the beginning; getting to hear how Tom led the band into the song.

cheers

For those Echo enthusiasts, if you haven't already, I recommend listening to the July 7th, 1999 show from Mansfield. It's out there online in great sound quality. I don't know if the drums on it are considered "dry", I think they are, but they sound really good on this recording. I'm guessing it's a soundboard. You've got a long It's Good To Be King, an absoultely phenomenal surf medley by Mike and the band that goes on for I think, over ten minutes, a sweet acoustic I Won't Back Down, a rockin' Free Girl Now and I Don't Wanna Fight. Great sound quality and performances. Gloria too if you like that cover.

cheers

Edited by MaryJanes2ndLastDance

This album resonates deeply within me "One More Night, One More Day" "Echo" "Lonesome Sundown" are serious songs, masterful songs. It is like Dylan's Blood on The Tracks. The music is has an emotional resonance, a Mid Western feel and brilliant guitar playing and tones from Mike especially. TPATHB must have the best mid tempo songs, its not an easy art pulling of so many great songs in mid tempo. Now we know Tom was in the throws of heroin use during this time and had not long gone through his divorce, then there is the Howie situtation on top of that. There is also defiance and fighting back "Swingin" "Free Girl Now" "Counting On You" "Billy the Kid" and beautiful pop/rock "Accused of Love" "This One's for Me" Tom's phrasing was as good as ever, especially on that title track! 

Edited by BiggestPettyFanInOz

Stopped into one of my fave spots for lunch today and they were playing ECHO on the stereo. Normally I eat and dash but not today! I found out my waiter was the one playing it so I left him an extra tip and told him why! He said it was his favorite Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers record so I asked him why. He told me that the songs just resonated with him and that he felt he was hearing the real Tom on this record more than any other and it just felt like truth to him.  Pretty good answer.

I'm always pleased to hear that there are a few more Echo disciples out there. Thanks for sharing that experience nornandi, very cool.  Good to know that I'm not a single voice in the wilderness in appreciating the genius in this album of Truth. In the fullness of time I firmly believe that Echo will be considered one of the best if not the best Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers album. It has been neglected live by the band down the years for many valid human emotion reasons on many levels, (with a few live performance notable exceptions that I always felt were difficult for the band, but they did them)  but the best consequence of the publication of Zane's biography on Tom seems to me to be Tom healing and coming to terms with the circumstances around that time and the release of the songs on Echo to fly under the power of their own wings from here on! Here's hoping! :)  

On 1/21/2016 at 5:52 PM, dollardime said:

I'm always pleased to hear that there are a few more Echo disciples out there. Thanks for sharing that experience nornandi, very cool.  Good to know that I'm not a single voice in the wilderness in appreciating the genius in this album of Truth. In the fullness of time I firmly believe that Echo will be considered one of the best if not the best Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers album. It has been neglected live by the band down the years for many valid human emotion reasons on many levels, (with a few live performance notable exceptions that I always felt were difficult for the band, but they did them)  but the best consequence of the publication of Zane's biography on Tom seems to me to be Tom healing and coming to terms with the circumstances around that time and the release of the songs on Echo to fly under the power of their own wings from here on! Here's hoping! :)  

This definitely would've been pretty awesome. :( I definitely think he might have started incorporating some more of the faster-paced Echo songs into his setlist if he kept touring. In recent years he'd had somewhat good things to say about Echo; first Tom said his wife made him listen to the album on a road trip, and in one of the recent interviews that came out (think it was the Rolling Stone one), unprompted, he mentioned a fan encounter with a girl who told him it helped her through a difficult time. You could feel him softening up a bit lately. 

I don't think he'd ever have played Room at the Top live again considering he called it the most depressing song ever, but then again I was surprised to read in this thread that he EVER brought out the title track at a live show. The actual song "Echo" is LITERALLY the saddest song in his catalog (though I love it). I can't imagine what made him think that would work in a concert setting, yet I somewhat wish I was there to experience it? 

Anyway, this album is incredible. I do think some of the fat could've been trimmed (didn't need to be so many songs), but I like pretty much every track. As a cohesive album I like it as much as anything in between DTT and FMF, even Hard Promises.

Echo has always been an extra special album to me personally. It's because of that tender, raw honesty. I equate to something's like Lennon's album Plastic Ono Band. Just something you can curl up with, experience whatever your feeling and recognize someone else has been there too. Even more so, someones that can express these emotions in rub you to the bone sonic experiences... Words seem cheap to me when it comes to deep emotional waves. But TPATH got it so right with sound on this one in regard to making those emotions translate outside one's own headspace. 

ZOLLO: I’ve heard you don’t like to talk about the Echo album, because it was such a dark period for you. But that’s a great album. It really holds up.

PETTY: You know, that was my position for a long time. I didn’t listen to Echo. That was one of the worst periods of my life. When I made that record. I was going through a divorce, and really life had just gone to hell. [Laughter] I was having a really hard time. Living alone. Rick Rubin [the producer] swears I wasn’t there on that record. Yeah. So that’s the best Tom Petty record that Tom Petty wasn’t at. [Laughter]

I didn’t play it for many years, and then we were driving into town one day, and it came on in the car, because Dana had been playing it, and I started to turn it off, and she said, “No, listen to this.” And I did, I listened to it, and I really enjoyed it. It was so much fun, because I had no idea what was coming next. It was one of those records during which I had shut down so much, that I didn’t even remember some of the songs. They came on and I said, “What’s this?” I’ve never done that before. [Laughs]

But then again, there’s other things like that. Rick Rubin came by the other day and gave me this boxed set of Johnny Cash. And there’s a duet on there of me and Cash singing a Merle Haggard song called “The Running Kind.” And it was a really good take, and I have no memory, at all, of us doing that. I can’t remember it. I guess so much happened in that period, that I don’t remember doing it. [Laughs] That’s a nice surprise when you hear things like that.

But we did so much recording between Wildflowers and the end of Echo. There was a lot of recording done, with different projects like the Johnny Cash stuff. I still think that’s the best Heartbreakers record. Johnny Cash Unchained. It’s the best playing we ever did. I love that record. And I’m so proud that we did it, and did it so well.
FULL INTERVIEW: http://thepettyarchives.com/?page_id=9986

the title track to this album can just crush me at times. Especially toward the end with the lines:

Well you just got tired
You just gave in
You took it hard
Then you just quit
You let me down
You dropped the ball
You fell on your face most of all...

this song and Crawling Back to you are my kryptonite. 

Interesting thread to revisit. For the most part I stick to my previous statements on the issue. That is that the album could've sounded better (w/r/t compression, vocals) and that it could've been three or four songs shorter to be more focused as a masterpiece. 

As for the title of this thread, there may something to that though. I find myself listening to parts of this album now, that DOES open up some deep shafts within, shafts that goes even deeper with what happened this last week.