Sign in to follow this  
Marion

New Tom Petty Single - Somewhere Under Heaven

To me, this track sounds dated. The release said it was recorded for Wildflowers, but it sounds more like an "Into The Great Wide Open" outtake. The beauty of Wildflowers is the sparse production that Rubin brought to the table, and that (with the exception of Highway Companion) the band has basically stuck to since then. You can play Wildflowers and it sounds like it could've been released this year. The Jeff Lynne albums sound like the eighties/early 90's.

I had a note on Facebook saying the new song was out - I nearly spit out my sweet tea!  What a delight having a new song to start off this hot month down South.

hey, and I just saw a few moments ago a brand new Rolling Stone article announcing the planned August work/recording of a new Mudcrutch article; looks like Campbell was in charge of reporting the news!!!!!

To me, this track sounds dated. The release said it was recorded for Wildflowers, but it sounds more like an "Into The Great Wide Open" outtake. The beauty of Wildflowers is the sparse production that Rubin brought to the table, and that (with the exception of Highway Companion) the band has basically stuck to since then. You can play Wildflowers and it sounds like it could've been released this year. The Jeff Lynne albums sound like the eighties/early 90's.

I don't agree, listen to the track higher place and this has a similar sound but definitely not ITGWO.

I love this song! There's a very real vibe of integrity, a type of spiritual quality throughout that really shines through. A lot of layers and mind images in the lyrics too, deceptively simple. I picture Jimmy as a poor kid in a cotton field from the deep south with worm patches on his knees, the father with him maybe not physically but present all the same advising his son to ''hold on to what love you find, you're going to need all you can get''.

I see this as being a very radio friendly song....a great single actually, ok singles don't really mean much in this day and age in the industry, but still, a great single. I could also see it working well live too (hint hint :) )...there is a sort of anthemic quality about it.

Little Jimmy could be Eddie Rebel's brother....first half of song has certainly echo's of ITGWO the song, I feel that this song could give a clue to how ITGWO album might have sounded if produced by Rick Rubin, an interesting sub plot I guess.

There is an ethereal spiritual quality to this song, a natural purity, heart and soul, skin in the game creativity going on! I'm more than quite taken by it. If this is the standard, then the album release will be stunning.

I honestly see this as a better song in terms of a transcending vibe and energy in the sound and feel of the recording than everything on Hypnotic Eye apart from Shadow People. This song may be somewhere under heaven but it's pretty close to it all the same. 

I feel that this song could give a clue to how ITGWO album might have sounded if produced by Rick Rubin, an interesting sub plot I guess.

Yes, as I've been saying over in the other thread about this, I think so to! I share a lot of those sentiments.

Only took me ten listens to realise that it is actually a Jenny rather than a Jimmy that Tom is referencing in the song :D , his pronunciation of the word the first time had me thinking  a son Jimmy rather than a daughter Jenny. That in and of itself adds something extra to the song now!

This has to be be done live next year! I insist!!!!!!! :)

This track has come as a great surprise! :) I love the part where he sings "little Jenny would dance in the rain...". It has that sense of freedom and melancholy entwined, which is what I love about TP's songs from that era.

And what's even better: The official TP site calls Somewhere Under Heaven the first track from the upcoming album "Wildflowers: All The Rest." I'm so looking forward to this!!!

BTW: The single cover doesn't lie when it says "Hi-Fidelity Recording". I ran my amazon.de download through the dynamic range meter, which yielded good results - I added it to the dynamic range database: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/90021

And eventually, it will also be available in lossless / hi-res quality, that's what I hope, at least.

Tom Petty Somewhere Under Heaven (lyrics)

(Verse 1)
Jenny's father was a working man
He worked hard to be his best
In the middle of the afternoon
He would give little Jenny a kiss

[Chorus]
Somewhere under Heaven
In the eye of a hurricane
Little Jenny would dance in the rain

[Verse 2]
In the afternoon thunderstorms
The Sun's shadow's movin' slow
She could smell the earth and sky
And off her mind would go

[Chorus]
Somewhere under Heaven
In a field of sugarcane

[instrumental Break]

[Verse 3]
One day you're gonna fall in love
One day you're gonna pay the rent
Hold on to what love you find
You're gonna need all you can get

[Chorus]
Somewhere under Heaven
In the eye of a hurricane

[Outro]
Somewhere under Heaven
Somewhere under Heaven

I had the same thought when I heard it. It was recorded in 1992, probably just after the ITGWO Tour. It's very jangly and chimey. The drum work is interesting and I like the mandolin. What I don't like is the plastic-y feel to it that starts from around 2:50. It's got too much synthesizer in it, especially towards the end.

All in all it's a nice track, but it's definitely not Wildflowers. It's the transition from ITGWO to Wildflowers. It's got a Traveling Wilburys feel to it as well. I hope they'll include liner's notes to the songs when they release the album. Wonder who played drums on it. Doesn't sound like either Stan or Steve to me, more like a drum machine.

I had the same thought when I heard it. It was recorded in 1992, probably just after the ITGWO Tour. It's very jangly and chimey. The drum work is interesting and I like the mandolin. What I don't like is the plastic-y feel to it that starts from around 2:50. It's got too much synthesizer in it, especially towards the end.

All in all it's a nice track, but it's definitely not Wildflowers. It's the transition from ITGWO to Wildflowers. It's got a Traveling Wilburys feel to it as well. I hope they'll include liner's notes to the songs when they release the album. Wonder who played drums on it. Doesn't sound like either Stan or Steve to me, more like a drum machine.

Definitely sounds more Into the Great Wide Open than Wildflowers.

I wonder whether the mixing and mastering of this song was done this year (or last year). To me, it sounds more like a Mojo-era mix than a Wildflowers-era mix. But it works! I love the arrangement, the instruments they used, and the lyrics... great stuff!

I wonder whether the mixing and mastering of this song was done this year (or last year). To me, it sounds more like a Mojo-era mix than a Wildflowers-era mix. But it works! I love the arrangement, the instruments they used, and the lyrics... great stuff!

I would suspect that it was mixed not long ago. I can't imagine them doing more than a rough mix back then, when it was never seriously considered for release. It's also possible that they did some overdubs and that's probably also why the "Wildflowers: All The Rest" album is delayed. Maybe TP wants to release these songs in their best possible incarnations and not as some left overs from the studio.

I would suspect that it was mixed not long ago. I can't imagine them doing more than a rough mix back then, when it was never seriously considered for release. It's also possible that they did some overdubs and that's probably also why the "Wildflowers: All The Rest" album is delayed. Maybe TP wants to release these songs in their best possible incarnations and not as some left overs from the studio.

Yeah, I think so too.

I love this track great lyrics vocal hooks that stay in my head, love the chiming guitars but what the hell were they thinking with the drums/synth?

I would guess this was done not long after ITGWO after that big tour they did. However it does have that Mojo/Mudcrutch vibe going for it.

Random stat: The track just passed 10,000 plays on Spotify.

Yeah, about 1,000 plays of which should be me.. :) Been having a single-minded week..

Is that a mandolin in the foreground or - like it almost seems the more you listen - something more synthetic?

Personally, I enjoy this sonic twilight zone between throwaway Lynne and throwaway Rubin - the blend of Built To Last and You Wreck Me as it were - a lot. It's almost a surprise match made in heaven. A surprise even if in someways it's what I've known all along. That is, this is quite close to what I've sometimes envisioned would have become of ITGWO, had Jeff only allowed a few pinches more of "organic life" on there. This song sure has the "airy claustrobia" of Lynne at his best, and at the same time a rather earthy quality. Sure, the drumming could have been a bit more.. interesting perhaps. But as for the rest of it - as much as I'm having a hard time believing that Rubin would've produced this - I find it very very good. It hits many levels at once as far as I am concerned, not only sonically: While the song in itself feels vintage Petty - it would be right at home on albums like Southern Accents, Let Me Up, ITGWO, Echo, Last DJ or Mojo - the lyrics, as has been mentioned, is very vivid and also somewhat TP typical - would've fit right in, perhaps on SA, Mudcrutch or Mojo especially.

Somewhere Uner Heaven seems to be many things, but to me it's not exactly Wildflowers, which is interesting in terms of the upcoming album.