Sign in to follow this  
dollardime

Rank your favorite Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers albums in order of preference!!!

2 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

find a good sounding copy of them playing Face in the Crowd from '08.

I actually don't think I have any of the 2008 concerts, do you have one from "LivePetty" that you can recommend?  I did listen to a version on YouTube and I can see how you'd like the jammy extended version.  Steve sounds fine there but he's always been decent on the quiet songs, such as "Alright For Now" on the 1995 tour. 

Where I don't like Steve's drumming is where he hits the bass drum too much, and too much on the beat, which is most of the TPATH songs other than the very quiet ones.  Also I feel Steve lacks Stan's creativity.  But Stan wasn't creative at all on "Face in the Crowd" when they did it in 1989, in fact Stan seemed to be barely going through the motions on many of the FMF songs when asked to play them on tour.   So I'd agree that Steve did more with "Face in the Crowd" than Stan did, and it's better for it.  However the drumming by either one of them on that song is very "Lite", as it should be, so I'm not seeing that as a comparison of the normal drummer role. 

By the way, I noticed that once Stan was gone, TPATH only did "Learning to Fly" as an acoustic-type song.  I loved Stan's drumming on the studio version of that song, as well as his drumming on the tour supporting ITGWO.  But TP either didn't like it or didn't want to be reminded of Stan, so he seemed to deliberately keep Steve from trying to copy the Stan drum part on LTF.  I'll even go so far as to say it sounds like the remix on the new "Best of Everything" anthology has the drumming toned down (reduced in volume or somehow muffled), as TP himself might have wished, had he been there to supervise the anthology.   I prefer the sound of the original ITGWO version.   

2 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

TPATH only did "Learning to Fly" as an acoustic-type song. 

https://www.mudcrutch.com/forum/index.php?/topic/13600-learning-to-fly/&

You may find this interesting.

And while I'm at it:

https://www.mudcrutch.com/forum/index.php?/topic/15010-do-you-have-a-favorite-re-worked-song/&tab=comments#comment-303245

cheers

Thanks for the links MJ2LD.  By the way, I do like Steve's full drumming on some songs.  I've been listening to disc 3 of "Live Anthology", and I really like his drumming on "Jammin' Me" and "Green Onions", both from the Fillmore 1997.  And as I've said, I thought Steve hit it out of the park on the HE album.    

Regarding acoustic versions, I might post some comments there eventually, but in general I thought the acoustic "Learning To Fly" was worn out, and I would have liked it if they'd gone back to the more rocking version of the original.  It would have been interesting to hear what Steve could have done while mostly imitating the drum patterns set down by Stan, if TP would let him do it that way. 

Beyond LTF, I agree that "King's Highway" sounded very good in acoustic form; I'd say it was better that way than in the original version, since the listener could better focus on the lyrics, which are terrific.  Though I do also like the way they played it in 1991, especially as a show opener on "Take the Highway".  "Even The Losers" worked well acoustically also, not better than the original way, but very well.  The ones I strongly disliked as acoustic songs were "Rebels" and "Dogs On The Run", both of which I loved in the original studio versions and the rocking live versions (my favorite live version of DOTR is the St. Petersburg FL rooftop concert, only a portion of which we can hear on the MTV special, I wish we could see/hear that entire rooftop concert).  And "Refugee" is just bizarre in acoustic form, as played at one of the Bridge Concerts, really a different song than the original.    

Wildflowers

Full Moon Fever

Damn The Torpedoes

Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

She's The One

Echo

You're Gonna Get It

Into The Great Wide Open

Southern Accents

Long After Dark

Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)

Hard Promises

Mojo

The Last DJ

Hypnotic Eye

Highway Companion

It seems like a good time to update the rankings.  Since the last time I posted the totals, Shelter has given us a "proper" ranking of the 16 albums (TP & TPATH but no Mudcrutch, live, or compilation albums), and Thelonius has given us his rankings.  So we now have 17 fans contributing to the net result. 

Note that I used 16 points for a person's first choice, 15 points for second, etc.  Thus these are not weighted by how much more someone might like one album over another, but merely indicate relative positioning among the 16 albums, for the "average" fan.   I have compiled the rankings in an Excel spreadsheet.   

I also included the number of first place votes an album received, but again there's no special weighting for being a top pick, beyond getting the maximum 16 points from that ranker.  Interestingly, the Wildflowers album received by far the most first place votes at 6 (out of the 17 ranking), yet the other 11 rankers only gave that album an average of 7.2 points, which would put it in 10th place as they see it.  The net result of 4th place overall seems an appropriate ranking for that album.   

New Consensus Rankings - 16 albums, 17 rankers (1st place votes in parenthesis):

1. Damn The Torpedoes (3.00 first place votes) - 210 points

2. Long After Dark (1.00) - 191.5 points

3. Hard Promises (3.00) - 190 points

4. Wildflowers (6.00) - 175.5 points 

5. Full Moon Fever (0.50) - 173.1 points

6. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - 171 points

7. You're Gonna Get It  - 161 points

8. Into The Great Wide Open (1.00) - 149.5 points

9. Echo (1.00) - 140 points

10. She's The One - 128 points

11. Southern Accents - 119.5 points

12. Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) - 117 points  

12. Hypnotic Eye (0.50) - 114.5 points

14. The Last DJ (1.00) - 114 points

15. Mojo - 82.8 points

16. Highway Companion - 74.6 points 

On November 4, 2019 at 12:25 PM, TheSameOldDrew said:

New Consensus Rankings - 16 albums, 17 rankers (1st place votes in parenthesis):

Interesting how DTT and LAD are at the top with WF and FMF rounding out the top five. I figure while there may be a song or two on the top two per your stats, most people would agree those are very solid, good albums from start to finish. I could be wrong but I think in the outside world, the non-Mudcrutch Farm, the top three would be GH, FMF and WF with DTT coming in fourth. Looking back at their career, it's a bit strange, they were never part of the "heartland" rock if that's such a thing, like Bruce Springsteen or John Mellencamp, never had avante garde moments like Neil Young and yet have this solid collection of hit songs that most people love, augmented with two potent solo albums. Then suddenly the band veers off into the doldrums of Echo, the blues of Mojo etc. and they just never have a huge hit again. 

And while they have songs that have that Chuck Berry type influence, like Century City or maybe even I Need To Know (I don't know about that one) they have this unique sound, the chamber music theory of Benmont's, a behind-the-beat drummer, tasteful guitar virtuoso with some unusual songwriting, thte spoken ord part of Here Comes Your Girl, the doubletime of Don't Do Me Like That (though a Mudcrutch track first), the weird sonic landscape of Luna, the brevity of Breakdon, unique call and response of It  Ain't Nothin, the craziness of DCAHM etc. etc.

While their career seemed to be foundering around LMU, they turn it all around and become elder statesmen of rock and are much respected and viewed as never really making fols of themseves. It's an interesting trajectory I think and overall, their songwriting went in more directions than GH, though never as popular again.

8 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

overall, their songwriting went in more directions than GH, though never as popular again.

Well, yeah.. It is what it is - a Greatest Hits compilation, not an album. And as such there are plenty directions there already (even if some other examples/styles of the multitude mentioned are not on there). Nor were the "stranger" offerings ever that hugely popular with the masses prior to GH either, I don't think.

As for never again having a hit, or "veering off".. this touches upon other topics discussed I guess.. The music industry changing thorougly, and the boys growing older.. many aspects. I mean another question you may wanna ask is when was it last you heard John Cougar or Bruce or Neil or any of them having a hug hit song, commercially? (Tell you what they did have instead, though? Dozens of archival releases.)

5 hours ago, Shelter said:

It is what it is - a Greatest Hits compilation, not an album.

Welllllll....it is an album but I get your point. It's the all killer no filler TPATH.

5 hours ago, Shelter said:

when was it last you heard John Cougar or Bruce or Neil or any of them having a hug hit song, commercially?

I couldn't say with any of them as I just don't listen to them at all save the occaisonal radio tune which proves your point as the hits such as they are date to the 80s or maybe the early 90s with Rockin' in the Free World.

I don't expect them to have hits, I think that all stopped after Walls; it was more of a general observation. GH predating WF is good for that album as some may be convinced to purchase WF on their love for YDKHIF, had it been on GH that may not be the case.

cheers

With the Mudcrutch Farm forum ending soon, anyone who hasn't ranked the 16 studio albums (13 TPATH and 3 TP "solo") are invited to do so.  Just rank the 16 numbered 1-16, with 1 being your favorite and 16 your least favorite.  If you have ties, just list them as ties. 

Here are the current rankings by 17 Mudcrutch Farm members.  Note that the albums receiving 1st place votes are noted in parenthesis, but there's no bonus for a 1st place ranking, other than getting the maximum 16 points:

Current Consensus Rankings - 16 albums, 17 rankers (1st place votes in parenthesis):

6. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - 171 points

7. You're Gonna Get It  - 161 points

8. Into The Great Wide Open (1.00) - 149.5 points

9. Echo (1.00) - 140 points

10. She's The One - 128 points

11. Southern Accents - 119.5 points

12. Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) - 117 points  

13. Hypnotic Eye (0.50) - 114.5 points

14. The Last DJ (1.00) - 114 points

15. Mojo - 82.8 points

16. Highway Companion - 74.6 points 

Studio album ranking

1. Wildflowers
2. She’s The One
3. You’re Gonna Get It!
4. TPATH
5. Full Moon Fever
6. DTT
7. Into The Great Wide Open
8. Hypnotic Eye
9. Echo
10. Highway Companion
11. Mojo
12. Long After Dark
13. The Waiting
14. Southern Accents
15. The Last DJ
16. Let Me Up

Expanded List/Bonus Round…to include Mudcrutch, box sets, live albums, GH, etc.
Why? Because there are some TPATH releases that I enjoy (no, LOVE) more than some of the studio albums.

1. Wildflowers
2. Playback - Disc 6
3. Playback - Disc 5
4. Mudcrutch
5. Greatest Hits*
6. She’s The One
7. The Live Anthology
8. An American Treasure
….

All the rest (starting at #3 above. And I would have to put Mudcrutch 2 high up in this mix, 'cuz that record is also EXCELLENT.)

*Yes, 1993’s Greatest Hits will always hold a sentimental place in my heart. Even though I’ve heard each song 1000 times or more, and I only return to it on occasion, because I surely WORE IT OUT, I still love and cherish this collection. As a hardcore TP fan, you sort of take GH for granted, and dismiss it because you know all about Casa Dega and the other deep cuts and the residencies and you’re a card carrying member of the Mudcrutch Farm, etc. and you’re a mini encyclopedia of “real stuff” the casual Greatest Hits listener will never know anything about. Shame, really. But man, what a Greatest Hits package it is!!! A Greatest Hits that eats other Greatest Hits for breakfast. A benchmark, that only the Beatles and maybe a few others can possibly top. I’ve always loved the cover too…with that slight warped photo and colored band faces that give it a psychedelic vibe…the band hanging out behind the board, smoking, let you know that they’re just dangerous enough…that they do in fact embody the full spirit of Rock and Roll…1968 meets 1993…Something In the Air indeed. I bought that puppy on cassette in the fall of ’93. A teenage mind was blown. A fan for life.

2 hours ago, RedfordCowboy said:

2. She’s The One

Bold choice Redford. I guess with the 'Farm on its way down, fitting time for bold choices.

She's The One is pretty good, I agree. Cut out one of the Walls, one of the Angel Dreams, Asshole and California (just a terrible song) and it's a darn good record. Hope You Never, could've been a hit single.

cheers

Thanks Redford, great to see a full list from a regular contributor/TPATH fan.    Since I have kept a spreadsheet of people's choices, I will update it now to include yours (note, I used "Hard Promises" for "The Waiting", obviously):

Current Consensus Rankings - 16 albums, 18 rankers (1st place votes in parenthesis):

1. Damn The Torpedoes (3.00 first place votes) - 221 points

2. Long After Dark (1.00) - 196.5 points

3. Hard Promises (3.00) - 194 points

4. Wildflowers (7.00) - 191.5 points 

5. Full Moon Fever (0.50) - 185.1 points

6. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - 184 points

7. You're Gonna Get It  - 175 points

8. Into The Great Wide Open (1.00) - 159.5 points

9. Echo (1.00) - 148 points

10. She's The One - 143 points

11. Hypnotic Eye (0.50) - 123.5 points

12. Southern Accents - 122.5 points

13. Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) - 118 points  

14. The Last DJ (1.00) - 116 points

15. Mojo - 88.8 points

16. Highway Companion - 81.6 points 

I have to say I'm a bit surprised to see Wildflowers has 7 votes for best album but falls to the rank of 4th.  I guess I'm equally surprised to see DTT as first but only having 3 votes for the top album. I would rank those as the top two easily.... 

I know there is a vote on Siriusxm at the moment for the top 100 songs for TPHB and they will be playing the show july 4th, so we have something to look forward to talking about before it all comes to an end. :( 

40 minutes ago, Hoodoo Man said:

I have to say I'm a bit surprised to see Wildflowers has 7 votes for best album but falls to the rank of 4th.  I guess I'm equally surprised to see DTT as first but only having 3 votes for the top album.

It's surprising that Wildflowers  gets 7 1st place votes out of 18 rankers, but only ranks 4th by consensus.  However the other 11 rankers who don't rate it 1st, don't rate it very highly.  It's a polarizing album, as has been noted on other threads on this website.  DTT gets fewer 1st place votes than WF, but DTT gets a lot of 2nds and 3rds while WF gets no 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th place votes.       

Wildflowers 

7 Rankers rate it 1st

2 Rankers rate it 5th

9 Rankers rate it 8th through 13th

Damn The Torpedoes:

3 Rankers rate it 1st

8 Rankers rate it 2nd or 3rd

2 Rankers rate it 5th or 6th 

5 Rankers rate it 8th through 13th

What is also interesting is that nearly every one of the 16 albums is rated as high as 3rd by at least one of the rankers.  The only album not to get at least a 3rd place ranking was Southern Accents, but it got two 4th place votes.  So pretty much every TP/TPATH album has something going for it, which we already knew.  

20 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

California (just a terrible song) and it's a darn good record.

That's my favourite on the album! Lovely melody, lyrics be damned.  Climb that Hill second fav. 

1 hour ago, Zargo said:

That's my favourite on the album! Lovely melody, lyrics be damned.  Climb that Hill second fav. 

I like California a lot too, and Climb That Hill as well.  Also agree with MJ2LD that Hope You Never is a standout track.  Beyond that, adding in Walls #3, Angel Dream #2,  the cover version of Change The Locks, and concluding with the Beatle-esque Hung Up and Overdue (which has Ringo on drums, appropriately) would make a nice short album, IMO.  

I'd mix up the order maybe but this is more my preference for She's The One. I can take or leave Walls (Circus) depending on my mood;

• "Grew Up Fast" – 5:09
  • "Zero from Outer Space" – 3:08
  • "Climb That Hill" (Petty, Mike Campbell) – 3:57
  • "Change the Locks" (Lucinda Williams) – 4:56
  • "Angel Dream (No. 4)" – 2:27
  • "Hope You Never" – 3:02
  • "Supernatural Radio" – 5:22
  • "Hope on Board" – 1:18
  • "Hung Up and Overdue" – 5:48
  • "Airport" – 0:57

10 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:
  • Grew Up Fast" – 5:09
  • "Zero from Outer Space" – 3:08
  • "Climb That Hill" (Petty, Mike Campbell) – 3:57
  • "Change the Locks" (Lucinda Williams) – 4:56
  • "Angel Dream (No. 4)" – 2:27
  • "Hope You Never" – 3:02
  • "Supernatural Radio" – 5:22
  • "Hope on Board" – 1:18
  • "Hung Up and Overdue" – 5:48
  • "Airport" – 0:57

Interesting choices.  STO is the TP/TPATH album I've listened to the least, but it does have some interesting songs, and maybe more significantly some interesting sounds.  Airport has a jazzy sound that really wasn't revisted until Hypnotic Eye, 18 years later.  Grew Up Fast, Zero From Outer Space, Supernatural Radio have some of the most hard rock sounds for TP in over a decade, and again something of a preview of Hypnotic Eye, though 18 years early.  To me, those songs need some reworking or editing though, maybe a more actively involved producer like Jimmy Iovine would have helped in that regard.  Grew Up Fast for my ears needs the most editing, it is a jumble of sounds and words,, some interesting, some not (to me).  Hope You Never is a pleasant instrumental track, sounds like the background music for a soundtrack that this was meant to be.  If I were going to change the track listing, I'd probably put that one last after Hung Up and Overdue.  Haven't given it a lot of thought though.   

The She's The One album probably deserves its own dedicated topic.  Is there one?  I looked and didn't find one.   Good to see some discussion about it here though.  It's an album with more potential than I previously realized, but for me it sounds like a work in progress that never quite came together properly.   As to the two songs that each include two versions, I think I'm an outlier in preferring Walls #3 to Walls (Circus), and in preferring Angel Dream #2 to Angel Dream #4.  Nothing against Lindsey Buckingham, whose music and voice I enjoy hearing, I mainly prefer the pace of Walls #3.  And I don't care for the twangy drum machine percussion or whatever it is on Angel Dream #4, I prefer the slower and more gentle version Angel Dream #2, which to me seems more appropriate for that particular song.  But others seem to prefer those other versions, so that's interesting.  My favorite version of either song is the live Minneapolis 1999 radio show Walls, with the live cello player (Michael Severens, who also played on the STO album).