Sign in to follow this  
dollardime

Rank your favorite Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers albums in order of preference!!!

2 hours ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

than I previously realized, but for me it sounds like a work in progress that never quite came together properly. 

My understanding is there's some leftover WF tracks and some new stuff on there but I don't really know. As for the Angel Dreams, I confuse them, I like the song's tenderness but figure one version is enough. Sometimes I like Walls sometimes not, some days it's like a rock, some days it's...you get the gist.

I think with a little pruning it's a pretty good record.

cheers

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

s for the Angel Dreams, I confuse them, I like the song's tenderness but figure one version is enough. 

I don't understand why their are two versions, but I'm guessing that two versions were used in the movie.  Which I didn't see; I'm not sure anyone on this website saw it.  Angel Dream #4 seems too gimmicked up with an electronic rhythm machine/electronic percussion.  Angel Dream #2 has me focusing more on the lyrics than the other version, which is another reason I prefer it.

3 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Sometimes I like Walls sometimes not, some days it's like a rock, some days it's...you get the gist.

I don't think either version of Walls on the album quite does it justice.  But I also feel that Walls (Circus) is too gimmicked up, plus TP sings it in kind of a talky, overly nasal tone.  Walls #3 has fewer gimmicks and TP sings it more naturally than in Walls (Circus).   The live versions were generally better than either version, IMO.  Though it would have been nice to have a more natural sounding Walls on the album, with the inclusion of Lindsey Buckingham's backing vocals.  

4 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I think with a little pruning it's a pretty good record.

In my case I feel it needs both pruning of some songs, and editing of other songs.  To my taste it's one of the lesser TP/TPATH albums, but by no means does that mean it's bad or unworthy.  I think we've covered the story here, but as I understand it the STO album was a bit rushed to meet the deadline of the movie's expected release, then the movie release date was pushed back 6 months anyway, but by then the album was already finished.   Some extra time to work on it might have been useful.  I would have excised a few unsavory words a la Jimmy Iovine, I'm not a prude but I don't think those words belong on this album.  And some songs like Grew Up Fast seem like a jumble of parts; some of those parts could have been saved to make an interesting song, other parts could have been removed and/or replaced.  Kind of the way American Girl and Breakdown were re-worked into better songs, as I seem to recall from some of the interviews.     

In revisiting the album, it strikes me that STO contains the germs of some ideas that weren't fully realized until Hypnotic EyeSTO is definitely more than just an album of Wildflowers leftovers.  While Hypnotic Eye was originally said to be a return to early albums such as the first two (or three), it really wasn't quite that.  And while revisiting Highway Companion I was struck by the fact that when TP sang "I'm going back" on Turn This Car Around, he might have had a yearning to go back to the more rocking sounds of the early days, which he ultimately fulfilled to some degree on Hypnotic Eye (or has been suggested, was possibly intended to be titled Hurricane Eye originally).  Yet I feel that some of the "going back" in HE actually went back to some of the experimental parts of STO, much more fully fleshing them out.  Since I am a big fan of HE, this gives me a greater appreciation of those experimental parts of STO

1.  Full Moon Fever

2.  Wildflowers

3.  Hypnotic Eye

4. Into The Great Wide Open

5.  Highway Companion

6.  Damn The Torpedoes

7.  She's The One

8.  Mojo

9.  The Last DJ

10. Echo 

11. You're Gonna Get It !

12. Hard Promises

13. Southern Accents

14. Long After Dark

15. Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers

16. Let Me Up (I´ve Had Enough)

Adding in "Livin' Thing68's" choices:

Current Consensus Rankings - 16 albums, 19 rankers (1st place votes in parenthesis):

1. Damn The Torpedoes (3.00 first place votes) - 232 points

2. Wildflowers (7.00) - 206.5 points 

3. Full Moon Fever (1.50) - 201.1 points

4. Long After Dark (1.00) - 199.5 points

5. Hard Promises (3.00) - 199 points

6. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - 186 points

7. You're Gonna Get It  - 181 points

8. Into The Great Wide Open (1.00) - 172.5 points

9. Echo (1.00) - 155 points

10. She's The One - 153 points

11. Hypnotic Eye (0.50) - 137.5 points

12. Southern Accents - 126.5 points

13. The Last DJ (1.00) - 124 points

14. Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) - 119 points  

15. Mojo - 97.8 points

16. Highway Companion - 93.6 points 

(Note, corrected 1st place votes).

6 minutes ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

Adding in "Livin' Thing68's" choices:

Current Consensus Rankings - 16 albums, 19 rankers (1st place votes in parenthesis):

1. Damn The Torpedoes (3.00 first place votes) - 232 points

2. Wildflowers (8.00) - 206.5 points 

3. Full Moon Fever (0.50) - 201.1 points

4. Long After Dark (1.00) - 199.5 points

5. Hard Promises (3.00) - 199 points

6. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers - 186 points

7. You're Gonna Get It  - 181 points

8. Into The Great Wide Open (1.00) - 172.5 points

9. Echo (1.00) - 155 points

10. She's The One - 153 points

11. Hypnotic Eye (0.50) - 137.5 points

12. Southern Accents - 126.5 points

13. The Last DJ (1.00) - 124 points

14. Let Me Up (I've Had Enough) - 119 points  

15. Mojo - 97.8 points

16. Highway Companion - 93.6 points 

It is fun to see how Echo is in the second half of the pack when a lot of people here talk about their love for it. Polarizing yes, but thought it'd much high in the tally of your rank choice count than that. Pretty intersting

28 minutes ago, martin03345 said:

It is fun to see how Echo is in the second half of the pack when a lot of people here talk about their love for it. Polarizing yes, but thought it'd much high in the tally of your rank choice count than that. Pretty intersting

BTW, I mistakenly added LT's first place vote to Wildflowers, then corrected it to FMF.  So WF should have 7 first place votes, FMF 1.5 first place votes.  

As to Echo, yes a lot of people love it, a lot of others don't.  Four voters placed it in their top 4, four other voters placed it in their bottom 4.  There were obviously a lot of votes in the middle too.

What's also interesting is that no TP/TPATH album is truly hated; the minimum number of points an album could have is 19, and nothing is close to that.  Even "last place" Highway Companion has a 3rd place vote and a 5th place vote, and only 6/19 people actually rank it in their bottom 3.  

And almost everyone's personal choices are vastly different than the consensus picks.  It appears that the closest to the eventual consensus was "WonderingWaitingWorrying" (page 2 of this topic), and even he/she had She's The One in last place, which is a lot lower than consensus.  Not that this was a contest to predict consensus, just something to show our individual rankings and then pull them together as a group.    

2 minutes ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

BTW, I mistakenly added LT's first place vote to Wildflowers, then corrected it to FMF.  So WF should have 7 first place votes, FMF 1.5 first place votes.  

As to Echo, yes a lot of people love it, a lot of others don't.  Four voters placed it in their top 4, four other voters placed it in their bottom 4.  There were obviously a lot of votes in the middle too.

What's also interesting is that no album is truly hated; the minimum number of points an album could have is 19, and nothing is close to that.  Even "last place" Highway Companion has a 3rd place vote and a 5th place vote, and only 6/19 people actually rank it in their bottom 3.  

And almost everyone's personal choices are vastly different than the consensus picks.  It appears that the closest to the eventual consensus was "WonderingWaitingWorrying" (page 2 of this topic), and even he/she had She's The One in last place, which is a lot lower than consensus.  Not that this was a contest to predict consensus, just something to show our individual rankings and then pull them together as a group.    

It's also fun to see that LAD which is a major forum favorite finish that strongly. Tom may have disliked that album for it being a tread water album, but the rest of it love it for being a no nonsense rocker :)

1 hour ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

Not that this was a contest to predict consensus, just something to show our individual rankings and then pull them together as a group.    

Interesting.

1 hour ago, martin03345 said:

It's also fun to see that LAD which is a major forum favorite finish that strongly. Tom may have disliked that album for it being a tread water album, but the rest of it love it for being a no nonsense rocker :)

I was surprised when I read that. To me it was a fine rock album, but I think I got his point of view of wanting to keep moving forward. Still, nothing wrong with an album of fun, rocking songs, the moodiness of Straight into Darkness and of course the funky groove of Same Old You.

cheers

On 6/29/2020 at 3:18 PM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:
On 6/29/2020 at 1:50 PM, TheSameOldDrew said:

Not that this was a contest to predict consensus, just something to show our individual rankings and then pull them together as a group.    

Interesting.

"DollarDime" initiated the topic to see where people would rank the albums.  I added the idea of using a numerical ranking system and then put people's choices into a spreadsheet, so that it would be easy to calculate the consensus rankings.  Although my personal ranking is quite a bit different than the group consensus, I think the latest consensus (with 19 rankers) is the best thus far, as it seems to be an accurate representation of how Mudcrutch Farm member (and TPATH fans in general) feel about the albums.   So I now feel that the numbering system worked as intended.  As you mentioned, DTT, FMF, and WF are the "most important" albums for TP/TPATH, and we now see them as the top 3 in the consensus.  

By the way, is the "DollarDime" username based on the lyrics of Night Driver?   That's what I've always assumed, and interesting choice.  Even the lowest ranked album (by our consensus) has a lot of great songs, IMO, including that one.  Again showing how great and prolific Petty, Campbell and the others were at creating songs and albums.