Sign in to follow this  
dollardime

Rank your favorite Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers albums in order of preference!!!

My considered interpretation in ranking the studio albums, TP solo/ with TPHB involved, with Pack Up The Plantation included. Yes, I do rate Full Moon Fever the second worst album TP and or TPHB have released (it's better than the best album of many bands I can think of, but the bar is high with this great band we all love...but hey, it's my interpretation. I'm sure others have different interpretations...will be interesting to see them  :) It's the ultimate no right answer question!

1. Echo

2. Long After Dark

3. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

4. You're Gonna Get It

5. Hard Promises

6. She's The One

7. Let me Up I've Had Enough

8. Dam The Torpedos

9. Wildflowers

10. The Last DJ

11. Hypnotic Eye

12. Mojo

13. Southern Accents

14. Pack Up The Plantation Live

15. Into The Great Wide Open

15. Full Moon Fever

16. Highway Companion

Trying to arrange the top five albums in to a top five sequence was a difficult task. I am very comfortable that I had the right five albums to place in the top five positions. (i'm sure others would have different views, but i'm at total peace with my top five choices, other views would be interesting but would bear no influence on me) The challenge of the task for me was placing them in the proper top five positions. A difficult task but Echo rose above the others as a genuine heartfelt offering from a deep soulful place that I affirmed continuously as being the most worthy of top place each time I listened to it. A very special album, cultivated from raw and vulnerable depths of human experience, dirt under the finger nails type stuff....very real. Maybe too raw for the band to delve into in depth since then in a live environment...i can respect that....it was a tough period, but an artistically and creatively high point that is worthy of recognition, indeed imperative in so many ways. 

If you can't appreciate Echo then you are DEAF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! One More Day One More Night might be last chance redemption for slow learners...............Swingin Baby!!!!!!!!!!!

This is a rough go at ranking. The top two are set, the other three in the top five switch around depending on my mood.

Oh, yes, Thank God my hearing is excellent.  :)

Full Moon Fever

Hypnotic Eye

Long After Dark

She’s The One

Into The Great Wide Open

Damn the Torpedoes

The Last Dj

TPATH

You’re Gonna Get It

Let Me Up

Southern Accents

Pack Up The Plantation

Mojo

Wildflowers

Hard Promises

Echo

Highway Companion

I haven't even heard all of Mojo and I put it above the others based on what I have heard. However, it and Wildflowers could switch around.

Full Moon Fever is his best album with an amazing flow of songs. Hypnotic is right behind it. 

Aside from the very top and the very bottom, I think the rest can easily shift around. On another day, Let Me Up could be higher than TPATH and You're Gonna Get it, both of which have some filler amidst the really good songs. Let Me Up (the song) is great and if you can, find the live version of Runaway Trains. I respect the album because it seems so weird and experimental compared to their other records but I don't really enjoy listening to it.

Pack Up The Plantation is a strange album, sometimes I enjoy the horns and other times not. I'm glad there's a live recording of It Ain't Nothin' To Me, an underrated song of theirs. Too bad Shout's on there, would've preferred something like Dog on the Run, makes the same point and sounds much better.

cheers

Maybe too raw for the band to delve into in depth since then in a live environment...i can respect that....it was a tough period, 

That sounds about right.

Echo does have some good songs, even Highway Companion has Saving Grace and Big Weekend. If they do another residency, Rhino Skin would be good to hear again.

Overall, for me, their records mainly contain solid e.p.'s worth of good to great songs.

extremely difficult task; every album coincided with your personal life, happiness and problems at the time; I remember when TP&HB's first few albums came out, such an awesome new sound on the music scene; the Greatest Hits album was the fantastic just because of Mary Jane's Last dance; I love last year's Hypnotic Eye; and I was going thru the same heart-wrenching problems Tom was when Echo came out.  The Mudcrutch album might be might fav though.

They say self praise is no praise, but I have to say listening to my top five albums in sequence over the last couple of hours (to see if it did indeed make sense) has worked! Hopefully Tom does the same between now and the 40th anniversary tour...a real goldmine of a lot of material in these five albums rarely if ever done before live that would be awesome to hear...throw in You Tell Me, Casa Dega, and King Of The Hill and things could start to get suitably wild! :)

1. Echo

2. Long After Dark

4. You're Gonna Get It

5. Hard Promises

Deja vu.. seems like we've done this before somehow..

Either way, it's interesting and mighty difficult, changing as it is constantly, and personal too, I much agree with GAM on that.

For me, for now and for most days I would agree on much of dollardime's general ideas on the upper section of the list. Still on my list, there would almost never be an Echo in the top five. I'd say that I understand and even share a lot of those thougts on Echo, only to me all that does not necessarily result in it being their best album, to me it's rather what saves it from being their worst. It is an interesting one, mind you, one I partly like a lot, but despite all the great things about it artistically - or dare I say psychologically - I have some issues with various parts of the songwriting, arrangements, singing, production etc. In short, what makes Echo really interesting, with promises of wheting it a true masterpiece - a sense of choking, if I may - is also what cripples it in the end. Hard to explain..

So, I'd have Long After Dark up top, followed by You're Gonna Get It, Hard Promises and Hypnotic Eye, then it's getting to be a bit more of a mess deciding between TP&TH, ITGWO, Wildflowers.. and so on..

Btw - why include just one of the live albums? Official Live Leg is perhaps an EP (going for insane amounts these days, btw, I've noticed), but what about Kiss My Amps and Live 2013..? I'd say live and studio are different bags and I wouldn't mix the two on the same list, but perhaps a top list of the official live documents - records (physical and digital) and films - would be an idea for a next door thread..?

I tend to lean toward their newer stuff...

I like both parts of their career, the early days with Stan and the more groove oriented songs they've played with Steve. Tom's voice has improved with time, I like how he sung in the 90s better than the 70s and from the 2000s, more than the 90s. I've listened to more of the latter day TPATH, so whenever I do listen to something older, let's say from You're Gonna Get It or their first album, there's that moment of surprise, not just iwth his voice, but the enrgy of the band. Within teh rock-n-roll pop-rock field, they've recorded quite a bit of interesting songs, their records differing quite a bit. 

Listen to Wildflowers or Echo after Damn the Torpedoes, same band but quite a change in songwriting.

cheers

The band changed when Stan left to its detriment, just listen to the stuff they did with Dylan

in 1986 they were on top of their game then and slowly slid downhill when Stan left.

I've long been of the view that artists are never the best judge of their own work. Seing as they actually make it, they do of course have the right to interpret the merit of their own work too, ..but there seems to be a bit more love (on this thread at least) out there for the likes of She's The One, Echo and Long After Dark than I suspect the band realises, or probably more accurately to say at least that maybe Tom realises and or wants to see, or maybe he just doesn't dig those albums along with LMUIHE which i have read in a few articles as albums that he wasn't pleased with for one reason or another.    

Interesting to see the different interpertations... :)

A difficult list like everyone else has said but let's give it the ol' college try. And this may be long so forgive me if you die from boredom reading this diatribe, if you choose to read it.

1. Damn the Torpedoes

2. Hard Promises

3. The Last DJ

4. Long After Dark

5. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

6. Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)

7. Echo

8. Wildflowers

9. Hypnotic Eye

10. You're Gonna Get It!

11. Southern Accents

12. She's the One

13. Full Moon Fever

14. Into The Great Wide Open

15. Mojo

16. Highway Companion

The Jeff Lynne albums for me are some of their worst output. Not to say that they're bad albums, because to be honest, there isn't a single album that I loathe from the band, on the contrary. But to me, those albums just have Jeff's style too much on it, as I have said before, nothing differentiates them from the other stuff Jeff produced during that time. From George, to the Wilburys, to Roy and his own album, they all sound the same. They are enjoyable yes, but the overplay of FMF and the fact they do not sound like TPATH albums is what makes them so lo on the list. Albums that as much as I enjoy them and "rediscovering" them, I have to be in the mood to listen to. Highway Companion is an alright offer. Although some of Tom's best lyrics with songs like "Down South", the overly mellowness makes it kind of a snoozer.

Mojo is an album that I like but hardly listen to. Again, the new direction they took towards they're more rootsy blues was a nice move and a show that the band is willing to yet again try something new in the studio. However, that album has too much excess on it. There are about 5 songs on that album that I'd throw away. Take of the likes of "Candy", "Jefferson Jericho Blues", "High in the Morning" and you end up with a leaner, meaner album. You could probably make that argument for "US 41" but I have a giant soft spot for that song.

She's the One is another interesting album where there are a lot of strong points in the album. Tracks like "Walls (Circus)", "Grew Up Fast",  "Climb that Hill", "Hope You Never" and "Supernatural Radio" are fantastic songs. They continue with that overall Wildflowers sound but with that more rocking, edgy tone the band can deliver. They are a great meld. I think as others have said here and in another thread that this album overall does not come as a TPATH album but as an album that the record company kind of scrounged together because they were due to release a new album. Which is a shame really, the repeats of "Angel Dream" and "Walls" are unnecessary. And I'm in the minority in vastly enjoying the more stripped down version of "Angel Dream". I think without the shakers and nonsense it makes for a much more intimate and beautiful song. Again, a solid effort but one that is just to incoherent track wise to be a standout. Which I think people underestimate how track order and list and fluidity of an album can be a huge difference maker. Brian Wilson realized this with Pet Sounds. It's the main reason you rarely see songs hodgepodge together, cohesiveness to an album adds to it's sonic theme and feel.

Southern Accents is one of those albums as a kid I use to hate. Use to be my least favorite album. But the more and more I listened to it the more and more it grew on me. The fact that this was suppose to be a double album featuring a sound close to the south gives was suppose to be 25 year earlier version of modern Mudcrutch but that had to wait for another day. I have always loved "Rebels" and it remains in my top 10 favorite tracks by the band. That amazing opening riff on the 12 string guitar is amazing. Gets me every time. I can only imagine what the demo sounded like that made Tom go ballistic. Though you could argue that the song is overproduced, like the entirety of the album, it still is amazing. However, for every winner there is a loser and with songs like "It Ain't Nothin' to Me", "Mary's New Car" and "Make it Better (Forget About Me)", you get great gems like "The Best of Everything" and "Dogs on the Run". Richard Manuel's backing vocals on "The Best of Everything" is soulful and power and remains as a great ballad while "Dogs on the Run" is an underrated rocker by the band. Again, this album like She's the One suffers from being not cohesive sonically and a total, overproduced mess. A new direction yes but one that was short lived.

You're Gonnna Get It! is a great rocking album but it does suffer from a sophomore slump and for being under produced. The album is full of great rockers and shows the band is a fantastic rock band, but the album overall is under produced. It's rather barren sonically. It'd be a perfect album to hear live in it's entirety and let the band be loose with such amazing songs as "Too Much Ain't Enough", "No Second Thoughts", "Listen to Her Heart", "Baby's a Rock N' Roller". Unfortunately it is an album that goes overlooked though it does show just how hard these fuckers can rock.

Hypnotic Eye is an album I have enjoyed immensely all summer. Though because it has been out for less than a year, I'll try to gather more overall thoughts on it after a year has passed to see were it fits into the cannon.

Wildflowers is a masterpiece and this is probably where in my list I'd start going to saying everything from here on out is a masterpiece. Though the band went to a more mellow tone, which in essence is something that I should despise, the album has some of the best song writing, playing on it period. Mike's solo on "A Higher Place" is nothing but short of fantastic. Maybe it's because I have a never ending hard on for the amazing sound of the 12 string guitar or that Mike when given the chance plays it ever so beautifully, or both, the album does really well. The album to me is a quintessential fall album and is always in my CD player in my car when fall rolls around. The production of the album is just perfect. Rick Rubin really hit the sweet spot with keeping the album balanced. Plus, everyone plays on this album fantastically. From Benmont's amazing piano work, to Mike's leads, the band is really jelled here. It's a shame it's not considered a TPATH album because everyone is accounted for here.

I'll have more on the second half of the list. Maybe a bit more on Wildflowers too. This post became a lot longer then I originally intended.

I've been thinking about this for two days and still don't know how I would rank all 16! What I think I can do, that makes the most sense, is put them in "echelons"

The top 5:

1. Hard Promises

2. Damn the Torpedoes

3. Echo

4. Hypnotic Eye

5. Wildflowers

The next tier:

6. Mojo

7. Full Moon Fever

8. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

9. Long After Dark

10. You're Gonna Get It!

Notch below:

11. She's the One

12. Highway Companion

13. Let Me Up

14. Into the Great Wide Open
15. Southern Accents

Last but still good:

16. The Last DJ

When you put a list like this together, you really realize: a. it's so interchangeable that it varies from day to day, and b. they're all so consistently good that it just looks wrong to have anything ranked at the "bottom." It's astounding how consistently amazing this band's production has been!

Martin, i found myself nodding in agreement to most if not all you have said in your post (some differences in our rankings, but i appreciate where you're coming from) I think the man who loves women had a bad accident in Mary's brand new car. :)

100% spot on in relation to the Jeff Lynne produced TPHB albums...i've been beating that drum a while!

Pack Up The Plantation Live.......crying out to be remastered.....a lot of great stuff on the album but the sound of the record by today's standards does sound like it was dragged backwards through a bush and recorded in a distant ecohy bathroom.

Breakdown, Insider, Southern Accents, Rebels, The Waiting and Stories We Could Tell are great live versions that desperately need to be 'recooked' or remastered to make their greatness easier to listen to. I have the original CD, sounds a lot better on headphones than on a CD player 'in a room'. Maybe the vinyl (usually does) sounds better.

And also a great version of American Girl....once you plug in those ear phones :)

Damn the Torpedoes

Tom Petty and the HB

Hard Promises

You're Gonna Get It

Long After Dark

Can you tell I prefer the Lynch years?

Best of the post Lynch years:

Hypnotic Eye

Can you also tell I like the "band" recordings much more the the solo stuff? Also, the

Lynne produced stuff is meh. It would be interesting to re record some of those records

Difficult task. I guess I have a different take on this than most of you. So here's my list.

1. Wildflowers

2. Into The Great Wide Open

3. Highway Companion

4. Full Moon Fever

5. Damn The Torpedoes

6. Long After Dark

7. Hard Promises

8. Southern Accents

9. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

10. She's The One

11. Echo

12. You're Gonna Get It

13. Mojo

14. The Last DJ

15. Hypnotic Eye

16. Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)

Interesting to follow this thread. Would be nice with more entries.. I've added up what we have so far - trying statistically to make up for the fact that some haven't made full lists (rendering an average number for all of their missing titles..), others haven't listed the live PUTP album (rendering a few last positions for that one.. and like I said.. really.. why include just one of the live releases? wouldn't it be better to keep the various live documents in a separate list?).. So by all means.. use these statistics with caution.. But for now, this is the combined list of our preferences..

1. Damn The Torpedoes

2. Long After Dark

4. Hard Promises

5. Wildflowers

6. She's The One

7. You're Gonna Get It

8. Full Moon Fever

9. Hypnotic Eye

10. Echo

11. Into The Great Wide Open

12. The Last DJ

13. Mojo

14. Southern Accents

15. Let me Up I've Had Enough

16. Highway Companion

(17. Pack Up The Plantation Live)

Among the surprises, at least to me, is that She's The One and even You're Gonna Get It actually beats the "classic" Full Moon Fever aand that even Echo beats Into The Great Wide Open. Also a bit surprising is that recent and (I thought) popular stuff like Mojo and Highway Companion are found towards the end of the list..

But those of you who haven't entered your list.. please do.. and I will add the numbers together again, later on.. An Official Mudcrutch Farm Favorite TP albums list is on it's way.

Dammit, I didn't read the task attentively. Thought we were just ranking the studio albums. But if we include PUTP, why not the Live Anthology? But I wouldn't really know where to put PUTP anyway, haven't listened to it in a long time, and although Stories We Can Tell is such a beautiful song and I love the versions of The Waiting and Needles And Pins, it's not one of my favorite albums. Probably between Hypnotic Eye and Let Me Up. Something like this:

Difficult task. I guess I have a different take on this than most of you. So here's my list.

1. Wildflowers

2. Into The Great Wide Open

3. Highway Companion

4. Full Moon Fever

5. Damn The Torpedoes

6. Long After Dark

7. Hard Promises

8. Southern Accents

9. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

10. She's The One

11. Echo

12. You're Gonna Get It

13. Mojo

14. The Last DJ

15. Hypnotic Eye

16. Pack Up The Plantation

17. Let Me Up (I've Had Enough)

Alread had my Top 5 posted. Here is the rest...

1. Wildflowers
  2. Full Moon Fever
  3. Damn The Torpedoes
  4. Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
  5. She's The One
  6. Into The Great Wide Open
  7. Echo
  8. Long After Dark

9. You're Gonna Get It

10. Southern Accents

11. Let me Up I've Had Enough

12. Hard Promises