TwoGunslingers

Covers of Tom Petty songs

Cool to see some of the Heartbreakers (former Heartbreakers?) singing Tom's songs.  Even Steve Ferrone can sing.  One thing lacking in some of these vocals such as Ron Blair's is that they don't sing as forcefully as I think they should.  Blair sounded great on his acoustic cover of Down South, but with a rock band his voice gets a bit overwhelmed.  Which I think is typical of band members who aren't used to singing lead.  Stan was pretty loud on Psychotic Reaction, which was good, though Stan always had a strong presence as a backing vocalist for Tom.    

One of the best rock vocalists to me has been Roger Daltrey of The Who.  Why?  Because he is not afraid to belt out the song when it's required.  And furthermore, Daltrey becomes essentially an actor who "sells" the song believably, as if he wrote it himself and is very passionate about it.  Pete Townshend recently made some disparaging remarks about Daltrey (and all the other original Who members) because Daltrey approached singing a vocal as if he was an actor, trying to get the right character inflection of the voice.  But that's the way a song should be sung, IMO.  Today's singers could learn from Daltrey's approach, and not be afraid to sing a song loud and with passion. 

That being said, I realize that the HBs are just trying to provide a vocal for Tom's songs, since Tom is not there.  Maybe they are afraid of getting too loud or too passionate at this point.  But over time, I hope that they will, when the song requires it.   

3 hours ago, Arete411 said:

pretty sure he was at the LA Birthday celebration.  I felt his voice was an acquired taste...  pretty video though... 

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

pretty sure he was at the LA Birthday celebration.

Was the LA celebration called "Petty Fest?" The second article references that:

"With 'Crawling Back To You' embedded in Malin’s spirit, it resurfaced when he played it at Petty Fest—an annual tribute concert to Tom Petty whose proceeds go to charity."

53 minutes ago, Arete411 said:

Was the LA celebration called "Petty Fest?" The second article references that:

"With 'Crawling Back To You' embedded in Malin’s spirit, it resurfaced when he played it at Petty Fest—an annual tribute concert to Tom Petty whose proceeds go to charity."

I think the Petty Fest may be a different event.  

I *think* the guy on stage next to the  lead singer is Jesse, he sang one song  which I think was Crawling Back to you which I just was not fond of..  actually I want to say it was a mudcructh song he did that night but I did not record it or get a set list... 

3 hours ago, dollardime said:

Steve Ferrone & Friends bring a jazz lounge type flavor to Joe & Angel Dream 😀 

Thanks dollar dime - this is insanely good!  I like The Last DJ album anyway & this... good lord, who would ever think: "Hmmm, let's try Joe with saxophones & a less abrasive singing voice & ps, let's also bring the guitar sound up?"  

3 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

came across this on Facbook today. Ron Blair doing Rebels!!

Strange choice seeing as he wasn't around for the original recording, but no doubt he had the full album playing at his swim-wear shop!
And it's been played a few times since he returned, hasn't it.

This entry might fall outside the bounds of what constitutes a cover song, since this example is from a Tom Petty cover band...but hey, we’re in the waning days of this forum anyway, so here goes. 

I’m not ordinarily a fan of covers in general. For me, a cover of a song needs to bring a new interpretation, explore new depths, interrogate the artistry in a unique way—more than just gratuitously hitting all the right chords and notes at the right times. 

With that in mind, one of my favorite covers of a Tom song is Southern Accents’ rendition of U Get Me High at the Gainesville celebration in 2019. I love Hypnotic Eye, but until I heard Ronnie Gregg sing it, U Get Me High wasn’t one of my standout tracks. After hearing this band play it, I now approach TPATH’s recording with new ears.

When a good cover also makes the original better for the listener...for me, that’s a cover. 

This is a decent recording, but it’s still a fan recording. And fair warning, there’s a bit of unexpected profanity thrown in near the end:

17 minutes ago, Arete411 said:

I’m not ordinarily a fan of covers in general. For me, a cover of a song needs to bring a new interpretation, explore new depths, interrogate the artistry in a unique way—more than just gratuitously hitting all the right chords and notes at the right times

Generally speaking I feel the same; though there are exceptions where a band pretty much playing the song as straight as the original is fine as long as they bring their own energy to it.

18 minutes ago, Arete411 said:

After hearing this band play it, I now approach TPATH’s recording with new ears

When a good cover also makes the original better for the listener...for me, that’s a cover. 

I think I liked U Get Me High on first listen and loved it on consequent ones; it doesn't sound like anything else exactly in their repertoire; actually as I type this up now, perhaps it has most of a general Nirvana feeling, a build up on the verses leading to an explosive chorus. I wonder if there was some mental barrier for some people who liked the original You Get Me High (a good song) that kept them from fully enjoying this one. I don't know. Anyway, this performance is high energy and pretty good thanks for sharing!

21 minutes ago, Arete411 said:

And fair warning, there’s a bit of unexpected profanity thrown in near the end:

I survived.

cheers

I really like the vibe of this song. They are not aping the band and going for note for note cover but it is still very recognizable as what it is.  I actually like how the video was out of focus for a moment or two mid song.  Not overly a fan of the cover band concept per se but at least they are not impersonators dressing and trying to look like the band.  :) 

15 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

they are not impersonators dressing and trying to look like the band.

That’s a refreshing aspect of this cover band. Eerily, people who grew up with Tom in Gainesville and spent a considerable amount of time with Ronnie Gregg (the aforementioned lead singer) were gobsmacked by how much he is just naturally like Tom: his slight build, his mannerisms, phrasing, even just the way he sits.

Also, their sets delve more deeply into the TPATH catalog than do those of a typical cover band.

This might be the only TPATH cover band I would travel to see. 

5 hours ago, Arete411 said:
20 hours ago, Hoodoo Man said:

they are not impersonators dressing and trying to look like the band.

That’s a refreshing aspect of this cover band. Eerily, people who grew up with Tom in Gainesville and spent a considerable amount of time with Ronnie Gregg (the aforementioned lead singer) were gobsmacked by how much he is just naturally like Tom: his slight build, his mannerisms, phrasing, even just the way he sits.

Also, their sets delve more deeply into the TPATH catalog than do those of a typical cover band.

This might be the only TPATH cover band I would travel to see. 

Yes, some of the Petty cover bands can be worthwhile.  And I agree that I wouldn't want to see one where they tried to look like TPATH, especially the blonde wig on the lead singer.  The band I saw was called "The Petty Kings", they were at a free outdoor concert about 15 minutes from me, even then I wasn't sure I wanted to see these "imitators" but some friends talked me into it - I was glad I went.  Clearly these guys - and one woman (a Petty Queen?), who handled some of the high vocals and some of the "Stevie Nicks" parts - were huge TPATH fans as well as very good musicians.  They played the usual "Greatest Hits" and Wildflowers singles, plus Stop Draggin' My Heart Around but also dug a little deeper for songs like King's Highway, and Change of Heart.    They also did Walls, which was actually the "newest" song they did.  And when they did Breakdown they put in the Hit The Road Jack part.   All surprisingly well done, with no attempt to pretend that they "were" TPATH.

One thing I wish the tribute bands would do, is to do some of the songs that TPATH never did in concert.  Something like The Criminal Kind, Ain't Love Strange, Dark of the Sun, All You Can Carry - whatever works, but great songs that TPATH themselves never did live (or rarely did live), to help keep the flame alive.  Maybe that will happen eventually, probably not, but I'd love for a few of these tribute bands to reach out that way.    

53 minutes ago, TheSameOldDrew said:

whatever works, but great songs that TPATH themselves never did live (or rarely did live), to help keep the flame alive.  Maybe that will happen eventually, probably not, but I'd love for a few of these tribute bands to reach out that way.    

I hear ya; I saw a Petty cover band at a bar once, they were pretty good, surprisingly good and they did dig a bit deeper than I expected, I think they even played a LMU song. Most of it sounded good. Most specialty one band cover bands, the ones I've seen are not that good or at least, not to my taste, too similar to the original while lacking well...the original.

Anyway, good performance of U Get Me High!

cheers