TwoGunslingers

Covers of Tom Petty songs

Cool to see some of the Heartbreakers (former Heartbreakers?) singing Tom's songs.  Even Steve Ferrone can sing.  One thing lacking in some of these vocals such as Ron Blair's is that they don't sing as forcefully as I think they should.  Blair sounded great on his acoustic cover of Down South, but with a rock band his voice gets a bit overwhelmed.  Which I think is typical of band members who aren't used to singing lead.  Stan was pretty loud on Psychotic Reaction, which was good, though Stan always had a strong presence as a backing vocalist for Tom.    

One of the best rock vocalists to me has been Roger Daltrey of The Who.  Why?  Because he is not afraid to belt out the song when it's required.  And furthermore, Daltrey becomes essentially an actor who "sells" the song believably, as if he wrote it himself and is very passionate about it.  Pete Townshend recently made some disparaging remarks about Daltrey (and all the other original Who members) because Daltrey approached singing a vocal as if he was an actor, trying to get the right character inflection of the voice.  But that's the way a song should be sung, IMO.  Today's singers could learn from Daltrey's approach, and not be afraid to sing a song loud and with passion. 

That being said, I realize that the HBs are just trying to provide a vocal for Tom's songs, since Tom is not there.  Maybe they are afraid of getting too loud or too passionate at this point.  But over time, I hope that they will, when the song requires it.   

3 hours ago, Arete411 said:

pretty sure he was at the LA Birthday celebration.  I felt his voice was an acquired taste...  pretty video though... 

1 hour ago, Hoodoo Man said:

pretty sure he was at the LA Birthday celebration.

Was the LA celebration called "Petty Fest?" The second article references that:

"With 'Crawling Back To You' embedded in Malin’s spirit, it resurfaced when he played it at Petty Fest—an annual tribute concert to Tom Petty whose proceeds go to charity."

53 minutes ago, Arete411 said:

Was the LA celebration called "Petty Fest?" The second article references that:

"With 'Crawling Back To You' embedded in Malin’s spirit, it resurfaced when he played it at Petty Fest—an annual tribute concert to Tom Petty whose proceeds go to charity."

I think the Petty Fest may be a different event.  

I *think* the guy on stage next to the  lead singer is Jesse, he sang one song  which I think was Crawling Back to you which I just was not fond of..  actually I want to say it was a mudcructh song he did that night but I did not record it or get a set list... 

3 hours ago, dollardime said:

Steve Ferrone & Friends bring a jazz lounge type flavor to Joe & Angel Dream 😀 

Thanks dollar dime - this is insanely good!  I like The Last DJ album anyway & this... good lord, who would ever think: "Hmmm, let's try Joe with saxophones & a less abrasive singing voice & ps, let's also bring the guitar sound up?"