TwoGunslingers

Covers of Tom Petty songs

Nicely done.

I like the little lead your guitarist threw in at the beginning. Good sound quality. I realize it's not an easy thing to share something like this so I give you credit. Maybe if others were so inclined we could have a section of the forum for covers done by board members. Anyway,  thanks for sharing. Good singing!

cheers

Thank you very much, MJ2LD and Shelter!

16 hours ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Maybe if others were so inclined we could have a section of the forum for covers done by board members.

Good idea!

8 hours ago, Shelter said:

Do I sense some Bob, being channeled on a few occasions..? :) 

I thought so myself when I watched it yesterday! :lol: That certainly was unintentional. But he left some deep trackmarks, I guess...

One of the male singers on The Voice did a country-ish version of MJLD Wednesday night. I didn't care for it. 
I don't watch those kind of shows, but my grandma is obsessed with The Voice and I was at her house and saw it. 

These guys seem to have put on a monster of a Tom Petty show the other day! Great, unusually tight inspired versions for a cover band... from down under!! Check out all the clips. The bass/keyboard interaction in part of these preformances are quite great! Also, harmonies and other details, they have what seem to me like a great understanding of the songs, nice arrangements and.. yeah.. Since, I think pretty much 97,8% of all covers you hear of Tom's song more or less suck, from being too sloppy, bland, missing key dimensions like an instrument.. or an energy.. or a charm... or whatever.. I was quite surprised at the somewhat consistent kick of these guys. They really make a great attempt, brave and mostly successfull effort with the old stuff, I'd say. They rock!

Thanks for sharing. I see what you mean about:

2 hours ago, Shelter said:

Since, I think pretty much 97,8% of all covers you hear of Tom's song more or less suck, from being too sloppy, bland, missing key dimensions like an instrument.. or an energy.. or a charm... or whatever.. I was quite surprised at the somewhat consistent kick of these guys.

Particularly on Walls, they nearly sound like the original, not that that's my standard for enjoying a cover. Nice drum rolls on Don't Do Me Like That. Impressive drumming and singing, I like the high energy of the tune. Gotta run will check out the rest later.

cheers

Oh yeah, I like them! Seem very real. Don't put on a show. Nice singing, especially the lead singer has the right kind of voice without sounding like he's trying too hard to sound like Tom.

Drummer's great as well. Plays DDMLT perfectly down to the fills.

Another good thing: They DO have a girl in the Heartfakers. And speaking of which: great name!

This comes highly recommended. Quite fantastic actually, and the sort of thing that, to me, opens up that magic rift and time and space, that prooves beyond all things how timeless and eternal Tom's songwriting could be at its best. I hear this and I realize Wildflowers, in tune, lyrics et al, could easily have been something recorded by the Blue Sky Boys or the Louvin Brothers way back before any of us (well?) was born.. This is real space music!

On 5/11/2016 at 12:09 AM, TwoGunslingers said:

I don't get this. Why does Duchovny think he has to front a band and sing???

I just think he's a guy who can do different things, or wants to, anyway.  He didn't even start out in acting originally.

On 10/18/2018 at 12:06 PM, chimera said:

Here's a covers album that Aimee should definitely check out! :)

I might do that...

On the topic of Canadian bands, in 1993 the Headstones did a cover of the Traveling Wilburys' "Tweeter and the Monkey Man." 

In the comments section there's people arguing over whether its better than the Wilburys version. I like both versions.

... have there been any / many covers of Refugee

I searched a little on-line.  Internet suggests Melissa Etheridge & then gets all muddled up with a gazillion songs about & for people fleeing their homes.  :huh: Which is a worthy cause & all - but not what I'm looking for.