Sign in to follow this  
Jay

SONGS TOM SHOULD COVER

Speaking of Kinks in the live set list....:)

I love the interview at the end too!

I should learn to click on those text 'hyper link' links....High Grass Dog seems to have posted already, but I missed it....so for anyone else who missed the text hyper link...here it is again!

Edited by dollardime

By your definitions, I think the last decade plus has shown Tom is a "pure artist" when it comes to studio albums — continually striving for innovation, and an "entertainer" when it comes to tours — where he is complacent with "easier" work.

This is why I'm more excited for new studio albums than a tour or even a residency (unless they really did deep. 5 covers, 2 gunslingers, a partridge in a pear tree and ending with You Wreck Me, just doesn't cut it). Adventurous songwriting with no eye towards a single is great, another round of hits and covers ain't.

cheers

Edwin Collins - Girl Like You.

Lots of vintage covers potential as we have seen on this thread, this one here brings things forward to more of a contemporary era of songs for Tom to cover, even if it is 21 years ago. I was in the supermarket when I heard this for the first time in ages, and it reminded me of how much I liked this song at the time it was released. This one has something that each Heartbreaker can get their teeth into and would be a great cover for them to do in my view, it would certainly be recognised by most in an audience I would imagine as it was quite a big hit in it's day. 

A live cover of a cover that the Heartbreakers have already given the studio treatment to on the album they were the studio band for Johnny Cash on that I'd love Tom to do live. I recall Tom saying this is actually The Heartbreakers best album!

Johnny Cash's version of Rusty Cage by Soundgarden. It's a pity Tom & The Heartbreakers couldn't make this TV appearance show with Johnny as he mentions at the end. 

how about this then. replace the horns with some benmont magic. let mc cut it loose. and take it from there. somehow it's a bit down that jj cale road they like to go at times, and I really think it could work in all dimensions. a would-have-been classic and the best cover since Willin'?

Edited by Shelter

I watched a movie last night '25th Hour' U2 song 'Bad' was the intro and outro track in the movie and it got me thinking about U2 songs that Tom could cover....I guess the obvious one is 'When Love Comes To Town' that they did with BB King...the song Bad itself...and then I was reminded of this version of 'All I Want Is You'...the extended version. There's a lot going on in this song. I think this would be a great fit for The Heartbreakers musically, the vocals and the message in the song is something that Tom could really get into in his delivery and range..Benmont could shine too at the end...a great song this..and also, check out '25th Hour' the movie too if you havn't seen it before!  :)

I notice Mike sounding like Neil Young and crazy horse at times. How bout some grunge keep on rockin in the free world or Cortez the killer. Maybe Mike could do the vocals. He does the vocals for the Dirty Knobs these days. He used to be so shy they would try to get him to sing but no matter how much they turned the mic up you couldn't hear him.

guess after I Don't wanna fight off Echo he got his nerve up.

I can't help wishing Mudcrutch had run straight into a cover of 'Simple Man'  after 'Trailer' on at least one of the nights of the tour....''we used to dance to Lynyrd Skynryd'' after all....Freebird would be a bit too much to cover I think...but 'Simple Man' would have struck an interesting chord if given the Mudcrutch treatment!

Would have been a great fit and the synergy would have been amazing! Wow! Maybe next tour! ;)

This really is a case of a rider on the storm so obvious to cover and would fit so well that it is actually 'hidden in plain sight' ...and I bet Benmont in particular wouldn't say no to playing this, a great show case for him. Cool bass line is prominent too, so an opportunity to hear Ron groove more than usual which is always a good thing....and Tom's vocals and 'character' attitude would really get into this one too! Mike would add his noodling magic, Steve could get the drum stick brushes out for this one....Scott could play the rain and thunder keyboard parts.....

Ok, this one is more of a 'song that Tom did cover', but it fits well into this thread. This is a decent audio upload of JJ Cale doing 13 Days with Tom & Mike playing. The audio for this full Santa Monica show from 2009 is out there...I remember posting it here on the forum a while back.

Interesting that Tom changed around a few lyrics on the version with The Heartbreakers, you could argue that the changes helped the song actually. It's always interesting to hear the person who actually wrote the song perform the song, especially when you have heard the cover version of someone else doing it before you get to hear the original...i wonder if anyone has a video recording of this, would be cool if that surfaced some stage in the future.

^Good point.

In fact, I have often thought what an amazing source of TP&TH fit material is the likes of Them and Van Morrison. (Much like Animals, there is something in the "tone" of the material that are so fitting for TPTH). And Considering how TP himself obviously noticed this, it's rather odd and sad that all they have settled for is Mystic Eyes and Gloria. Just on the top of my head is "better" songs - or at least wonderful, great and fantastic songs to though in there - like...

Don't Start Crying Now, Here Come's The Night, Could You Would You, Tupelo Honey, And It Stoned Me, Wild Night.... it's a long list of grade A+ stuff, as sometimes head on the BT show.

I love this arrangement of "Dear Prudence" from Jerry.  Tom and the Heartbreakers would be perfect on this, especially since John's not around to sing it anymore.  And the crowd would go absolutely bonkers.