Sign in to follow this  
Darren McVicar

Favourite Tom Petty Songs Right Now

• Deliver Me (Long After Dark)
  • Waiting For Tonight (Playback, Full Moon Fever sessions I believe)
  • Scare Easy (Mudcrutch, 2008)
  • All You Can Carry (Hypnotic Eye)
  • Red River (Hypnotic Eye)

One great thing about the music is that every time I hear any of his/the band's albums there is one song that sounds better than it ever has, if that makes sense. I would love to hear anyone else's list.

Welcome to the Farm, Darren.  Right now I'm playing Hypnotic Eye a lot, and if I have a favorite it's probably 'Playing Dumb" because of the guitar riff in there.  I'm amazed how Mike and Tom keep coming up with cool guitar riffs.   Hypnotic Eye is full of them, and all of the songs are fun to play along with.  I don't skip any.

Been listening to a lot of live tracks lately: 

-License to Kill (Bob Dylan 30th Anniversary Concert)

-Time to Move On (Bridge School 1994) 

-Handle With Care (Gainesville 2006) 

-Mary Jane's Last Dance (MTV Video Awards 1994)

-Strangered in the Night (Winterland 1978)

while Mudcrutch Crystal River LIVE (from the 4 song live CD) is probably my favorite jam (with special shout-out to Randall Marsh and Tom Leadon), I recently found TP&HB's  first album in a BestBuy $5 bargain bin, and bought it ... I hadn't listened to that since I bought the vinyl album in 1978 ... and I forgot how outrageously good that whole first album was;  I especially like Strangered in the Night (pretty wild lyrics!), Fooled Again, and Luna.

I'm listening to the softer stuff right now. :) I have a playlist of 28 songs on my phone I've been listening to lately.

"I Need You"
"Like a Diamond"

"Lonesome Sundown."

"Echo"

"Room at the Top."

"I'm in Love."

"Southern Accents."
"Square One, live"
"Time to Move On."
"Flirting with Time."

"Letting You Go."
"Crawling Back to You."
Others. :)

- Rebels (2013 live acoustic version)

- Two Gunslingers (2013  live acoustic version)

- Hard To Find A Friend

- Wildflowers

- Damaged By love

- You And I Will Meet Again

From weeks and weeks these songs running in my car everday.

Not sure if it counts as a TP song in that restpect.. but to me it does. In fact, it's one of my fav TP songs ever, in terms of vibe and that special LA feel.. Hearing it, I can almost feel the taste of the late night coastal LA air in my lungs.. and a sense of mystery. A quality much like Something Big (that I always took to be TP's own Hotel California, written from the perspective of the life of the 'shadow people' rather than the pink champange record company people, gold diggers and Laurel Canyon crowd that haunt the original) and other less obvious songs of LA mystery. To me this is a very special genre within the TP catalogue, and while not consisting of too many songs in numbers, these story songs of LA are all among his very best, I think. And even if this video does not feat TP himself, I think Roger tells a great little story of the song. Besides, I always loved this slightly off-beat and quite great rendition too. (Is it just me, or is there something a little sad about Roger's post Byrds persona...?)

'Since you said you love me' from Playback box set - Tom Petty's most soulful vocal ever in my opinion.

'Shadow People' - for me the best TPHB song written in the last 15 years, really comes alive when played live during the 2014 tour with Mike playing the licks on the Flying V. An all time classic even though it's a new one.

'Red River' - after Shadow People, my favorite from Hypnotic Eye. 

'Casa Dega' - needs to be played live for the first time since 1978, a mystery and a frustration to me why it doesn't get in the concert set list, a real gem.

'You Tell Me' - my favorite song from Dam The Torpedos.

'Magnolia' - as per Casa Dega comment.

'Luna' - as per Casa Dega comment.

'Something Big' - LOVE that song and great to have heard it live.

'Crystal River' - Ok a Mudcrutch song, but the live version is a real gem.

' It'll all work out' - a great song from an under valued and under appreciated 'Let me up I've had enough' (an album that is criminally under rated, even by the band itself by all accounts ....some great songs on it, i always try to big it up)

'Runaway Trains - LIVE Jacksonville 1987 and as per comment above.

'A Woman In Love' - Benmont's piano intro gets me every time.

'My Life Your World' - From the Live Anthology.

'Have Love Will Travel' - a bit of an anthem for me on my travels. 

'You Can Still Change Your Mind' - would love to see how this works live.

'Fooled Again' - LIVE 1977

'Strangered in The Night' - LIVE 1977

'Dogs on the Run' - LIVE 1977

Encore:

Don't come around here no more.

Even The Losers.

You Got Lucky.

Getting ahead of myself here but this has some how turned into my first pass for a set list for the ' Free From Free Fallin' 40th anniversary tour next year. Hint!!! Hint !!! :D

40 years?!

Option #1:

Do three nights at a small club. Broadcast it, record it, release it as a box set.

First night, all the rare stuff, never played, deep cuts, unusual songs. Casa Dega, It Ain't Nothin', Luna, Let Me Up, Zombie Zoo, Fault Lines, What Are You Doing in my Life, Magnolia, You and I Will Meet Again,  When The Time Comes, etc. etc. Take the time to relearn these. Dig really deep.

Second night, celebration of their hits. 

Third night, covers, hits, some deep cuts, a good mix of all three, if they're going to repeat stuff, try to repeat the deep cuts.

Option #2

Five nights at a small club and mix in deep cuts, covers and hits across all five nights, balancing things out. Don't end every night with I Should Have Known, Refugee, Runnin, American Girl. Maybe even save these for the last night.

Per TPATH's sets, those shows (usually any residency or deliberate avoidance of the big hits) are outstanding setlist wise, I just think they should be a good beginning and not the end point; again, too many covers for my taste.

I think, that maybe TPATH's personal preference would be to just mainly play covers, maybe even more than the hits, when they used to do sound checks I'd read they'd play a lot of covers and it seemed like they were really having fun. If only they could channel that energy towards their own lesser or never played original material.

cheers

I think, that maybe TPATH's personal preference would be to just mainly play covers, maybe even more than the hits, when they used to do sound checks I'd read they'd play a lot of covers and it seemed like they were really having fun. If only they could channel that energy towards their own lesser or never played original material.

Hm, yes. I think we touched upon this elsewhere. And while I get the feeling there might be slight differences of opinion within the band, TP's word is the go word. And he probably decides on the same:ish, hit heavy set lists due to other considerations than personal taste. Those considerations being reasonable or not - or indeed even understandable - is another matter. But, sure, if he was to do just simply whatever he wanted personally, I too think he would go even more heavy on the covers. And personally I wouldn't mind that.

Like I said elsewhere (probably a few times too many) an integral part of my love for this band - as well as a main reason I grow increasingly dispassionate, weary and confused with what they 9 and a half times out of 10 decides to do on stage - is that they really could, and should, play anything their heart desires, make use of their unique skills and passion for rock'n'roll. That is, to me it doesn't matter what they play as long as they keep moving, not getting stuck with the same 20 songs core. Self inflicted limitation of the TP&TH kind is truely senseless and destructive IMO. If anything it makes me sad. I obviously agree that it would be fantastic to see a lot more of their old stuff getting valuable stage time - the Something Big moment, the first time they played it the other year, ranks among my most cherished moments - but to me the main issue is their (TP's) approach itself, his very understanding of what playing live music is or should be all about. At least I struggle with what he seems to make of it. Then again, I'm aware that part of the decision making, once a deal with LiveNation, Warner or any other of the soul sucking giants is signed, may go slightly above TP's head. Still, at this stage of his career, with a name like his, he still call the shots in the end, choose what conditions to accept and what to sign, if you will.. and hence.. Oh well.. I digress.

Come to think of it.. What is this core issue doing, making it back in the midst of this thread of fav TP songs?? :)

Favorite TP song right now? Thanks to another thread, I've spent some time listening for details in the Iovine albums, and right now I'm really hooked on the b-side of Hard Promises.. perhaps today's pick is.. Criminal Kind. Maybe not the best lyrics set ever to come of the TP pen, but a very interesting and strong track it is! It strikes me that this is where HP forebodes Long After Dark.. The moment where Iovine - after circling another type of perfection for most of the album - discovers what I find to be the perfect TP formula of it's time.