Sign in to follow this  
Mudcrutch

What is next for Mudcrutch Farm / mudcrutch.com?

^ it's so true. After reading Susan's post I started thinking about people that I have met over the years from both here and on the Officials. I haven't been a member of the Officials for a long time now so this is the only place I can get my "fix" of other Petty fans.

Susan, Mikey, Amber, Benny, Marion, Toni, Ryan (Mud), Beth, Patty, Tee, Nancy, Ellyn, Sharon, Shar, Gina, Amy Lou, Brandon, the list goes on! Some are still around these parts, some no longer. I treasure each of these friendships and hope to meet more of you in "real life" in the future.

It’s very touching, reading all this.. Love, friendships and memories abound connected with this place. Heartwarming!

Myself – although I been here just briefly, historically – have seen it and experienced it, just as been the case at the Officials at the best of times over the years (And I’ve admittedly been there a lot more, since first time I didn’t take TP’s advice of selling my computer, instead logging on to the tp.com community in 2001 or 2002, was it..?. Well.. TP fans in general - such a great bunch to hang with, in real life or in discussions and ponderings. All this great knowledge, passion and insight that most of us feel so generously like sharing, all of these people - you people! - are such a great bonus gift that comes with falling under the spell of TP&TH. Although I recognize what some say about having said it all, somehow there always seems to be new people to connect with, new aspects of the music to contemplate or to be swept away by.

For those of you who might have found my initial post a bit long and Winding - not to say a tad politically slanted (and oh, it really was!) - let me just say, that to me it’s quite simple: contrary to popular belief, it’s not what you are served, so to speak, it’s what you cook. In other words, it’s putting stuff, thoughts here, that we DON'T necessarily put on FB or elsewhere, that gets this place its raison d’etre. What makes (and can make) people come here is actual, substantial content (stuff or ideas) that DIFFERS in focus and/or depth from what’s plenty available everywhere.*

Still, times really are a-changing. Back in the late 1980s I had my first TP networking attempts limited to getting crappy Xeroxed mail-order lists of ultra rare TP records from obscure dealers in England, Spain and Germany, sending actual hand-written (or typed) mails to get questions answered or discussed, or records found or ordered. (That's how I got my first spanish sleeve 7" TP record and also my very first original first print US edition of the first TP&TH LP, complete with the little poster, that I still have, among many other things). With the web all that soon changed for the better in the late 90s – tech and methods changing drastically for more swift Communication/information, however still for the most parts focused on content, still largely fan driven, and very much real. Perhaps now we have entered the era of the prefabricated, the pre-chewed and the mindless? (Who knows.. We better belive what we are told, right?) If so, the tech itself is not to blame, really. Or maybe it’s just that we finally reached the era when everything is already said and done and we are all going Wall-E scenario on our sorry mutual mankind in general? I prefer to think not - since life to me would quickly turn utterly pointless if so. And after all, there's to much heart in all this for that to happen, right?

Not sure if that clarified my stand at all. Either way - I won't back down.

---

*In terms of variety, it may be hard to compete with fast paced, surface worship outlets of our time, and a place like this may no longer work ultimately for all the range of purposes it was meant to work back when a cool forum was all the rage - but in terms of content and quality discussions over time, the sky really is the limit for gathering attractive stuff in places like this, to create a cult following or become a virtual treasure chest to fans and collectors, that in many ways it already is and has been. In short - quantity is one thing that everyone knows these days and mean nothing, despite what people tell you. Quality is another and more desireble thing all together. Not that it's easy, but it’s up to us to keep the old re-animator’s dream alive, right? We decide.

^ it's so true. After reading Susan's post I started thinking about people that I have met over the years from both here and on the Officials. I haven't been a member of the Officials for a long time now so this is the only place I can get my "fix" of other Petty fans.

Susan, Mikey, Amber, Benny, Marion, Toni, Ryan (Mud), Beth, Patty, Tee, Nancy, Ellyn, Sharon, Shar, Gina, Amy Lou, Brandon, the list goes on! Some are still around these parts, some no longer. I treasure each of these friendships and hope to meet more of you in "real life" in the future.

Twitter? The Farm's on Twitter? Just followed!

Otherwise, keep the Farm alive - this is one of the most civilized, polite, and friendly places online EVER. I stop by most every day, typically only comment when I have something interesting to add to a conversation or a new tidbit to share (ie, stalking Benmont's Twitter feed.) ;)

To me, the farm has more potential than any other social media. Social media is for the masses. The farm is just for us.

It would be very saddening having to live without it.

I completely agree!

Count me among those who don't check in as often as I used to, but I would be sad to see the Farm go away.

Please, please keep the site up! I love it so much!

I understand (some) of the pressures of keeping up a site you wonder if anyone uses or not.

My site isn't currently up right now, and I keep meaning to work on it, but life gets in the way.

The Petty Archives has said "Down for Renovations" for probably almost a year. I feel terrible about it.

It's a matter of web design and organization. I have over a thousand documents that need organized into separate pages.

It's a lot of work to run a forum, and I really appreciate all of your hard work.

As long as you keep the site up, I will continue to be a paid member.

It's just slow right now because there is no album or tour. Hold on, maybe we'll get the Grammy!

Besides, next year is the 40th! You'll want to be around for that. ;)

4. Meetups / Farm Fest

Not enough activity for one anymore. People are meeting up in smaller and smaller groups. Drama over the years divides people.

Well, I disagree on this one. We had almost 100 fans show up at the Chicago concert meet-up last August. Of course that wasn't all Farmers, well hardly any, mostly people from the Officials and some from the fan groups on facebook. Maybe I just proved your point, Ryan. :(  But I have no idea how many of the fans had been Farmers at one point or another. I love big get-togethers (celebrations!). At the Chicago show, I shared hotel rooms with close friends, but we expanded out to lots of other friends when we organized the meet-up. It was so much fun! I've never been a fan of little cliques that seem to exist just to make others feel excluded. That's not the mentality of Tom Petty fans! We're some of the friendliest, most welcoming people around!

I'm guilty as charged....it's probably been a year since I've written anything.  But I still lurk from time to time. 

I find that I'm not online as much anymore now that I've failed at retirement and am working again (at a job that I absolutely love).  Even FB feels like a burden at times....there's so much there that I can't keep up with everyone.  And if I'm off for a few days, I just forget about trying to catch up.  I don't see much live music anymore.  Didn't see the last tour, barely listened to the new album more than twice. 

But I'm glad that the Farm is still around.  I feel like you're old friends I haven't seen for a while, but we can pick up where we left off like no time has gone by.

I promise to do my best to visit and write more often.

Felt compelled to add my voice to this thread. I'm someone who has signed up with the Farm many years ago, dipped in and out over the years and found some interesting threads and obscure links over the years but never posted myself. Forgot my sign in a few months ago so signed up again with a new user name. I've drifted away from Facebook and what I call ''unsocial media'' but always kept a candle burning for the idea that the ''web'' would be a positive outlet for positive people to share - the Farm as I see it is one of those few voices out there fighting the good fight for what the ''web'' should be and could be. I'm a TPHB fan since I was about 15, remember seeing the video for Mary Janes Last Dance back in the day and then bought the greatest hits CD that came out around 1994 and have been a firm fan since that time. TPHB have been the sound track of my life since then, i've always said that in good times, bad times and in between times Tom Petty has a song for every experience. So to support the cause, I'll try holding myself to being a more active farmer from here on out!

I love Mudcrutch Farm, it's my number one place to go for my TPATH fix. I'd be lost without it! I admit I haven't been on the forum much for a while but I do try to log on once a week and these last few months have been unusually busy for me. But that's my fault, not the forum's. The forum remains a joy as ever and has a real sense of community and respect that's rare in the modern online world of today.

I'm not on Facebook and don't really wish to ever sign up. I don't like the way it works and how I'd have to go against my natural inclination to privacy just to participate. I know a lot of people love FB but I'm not one of them and I hate seeing how it's swallowing up all the communities on the internet :(.

But I'm glad that the Farm is still around.  I feel like you're old friends I haven't seen for a while, but we can pick up where we left off like no time has gone by.

I promise to do my best to visit and write more often.

Great to see you Rick! You've been missed!

I don't want to see the farm go!The though of it makes me sad. I have not been here much in the last couple of years because I'm very busy but this is the first place I come when I have time. This is the first place I came when I was just becoming a crazed fan. The people here where very friendly, shared stories, pictures, music and became friends. Even if I don't get here as often as I would like, I hear a song and think of the people I have met here. If the farm goes I don't think I would know where or have the time to find some of the people I've met here.

I HATE the idea of Mudcrutch Farm going away! In the early 00's I was moreso on the official messageboard. I left once it descended into a cesspool of ceaseless bickering. I hope all the others from there that wanted to at least read--if not contribute to--healthy discussions made it over here, as I did. I haven't met any Farmers in person, but you all seem like a classy bunch! Over the years, there have been many generous and kind Farmers. I'm glad that I met them via computer. I feel among friends here.

Different things have taken over my time in the last six years. Facebook/Twitter/social media aren't any of them. I just can't be here as much anymore, either. I'd like for that to change and it might--I just don't know.

All I can say is that there would be a gigantic void if the Farm left cyberspace. Just the idea of considering dissolution saddens me.

Y'all are making this Georgia girl so sad at the thought of no more Farm to visit.  This is where I come to see what's really going on, without the vague corporate feel of the Tom Petty dot com site... I chose to stay here for discussion rather than join the forum board thing over there.  Like Night Driver said, social media is for the masses but the Farm is just for us.

Baby, please don't go.

Susan

the vague corporate feel of the Tom Petty dot com site...

hm, right. and not overly vague either. in fact - the only thing that makes tp.com feel anything but cold and cynical, is how unprofessional it is in terms of tech and customer support. (not to mention the sensation of being reduced to a customer in the first lace...) it's actually quite heart warming the way the giant stumble in that sense - no fan driven or otherwise amateur place would show such utter lack of attraction, passion or know-how, despite the money and probable intent put into it. quite ironic when you think about it. still, tp.com too - despite of the questionable charm and wits of it's upstairs department - populated by some of the nicest, most fun and knowledgable foot folks and fans I've had the pleasure to know. (in fact, they're much like this crowd here, only likely to be a lot more patient and large-minded in the face being taken for rides.)

I haven't been to the official site in years; I thought it was stupid when they changed their forum to where you have to be a member of the fan club in order to post or even read!

Yeah, that pissed me off too.   I think the purpose was to weed out the fighting on the forum over there, but whatever.  I only joined to get access to buying good tickets for the show - which I got. :)  Plus, we got a copy of Hypnotic Eye.  The other things I like are being able to see the Mike Campbell video series on his guitars, and you can listen to Tom's radio broadcast over there, if you don't have satellite radio - which I don't.   Now I sound like a shill for the place.