Sign in to follow this  
TwoGunslingers

ROLLING STONE TOM PETTY COLLECTOR’S EDITION

Hi just wondering if anyone could print Rolling Stone's Top 50 Tom Petty songs. I live in the UK and I don't think I can get hold of it, but I'm still curious about what they put. Thanks.

There are a couple of stores here in Nuremberg selling music magazines from England and the US. Plus one music store in Erlangen, also not far from where I live. I hope at least one of them gets this issue. Then I can help you out I think.  :D

Pretty typical list I guess.  It's probably more interesting as to what didn't make the list.  No "Fooled Again", "A Woman In Love", "A Face In The Crowd", or "Angel Dream", for instance.  I'd have all of those in my top 50.  No "Anything That's Rock & Roll" either.  Or "Kings Road".  Or "Kings Highway". Anyway, here it is.....

1  American Girl
2  Refugee
3  Don't Come Around Here No More
4  Free Fallin'
5  Listen To Her Heart
6  Runnin' Down A Dream
7  The Waiting
8  Breakdown
9  Room At The Top
10 I Won't Back Down
11 I Need To Know
12 Into The Great Wide Open
13 Don't Do Me Like That
14 Walls (Circus)
15 Stop Draggin' My Heart Around
16 Here Comes My Girl
17 Mary Jane's Last Dance
18 Southern Accents
19 Even The Losers
20 You Don't Know How It Feels
21 Change Of Heart
22 Learning To Fly
23 You Got Lucky
24 You Wreck Me
25 Jammin' Me
26 Scare Easy
27 Insider
28 Straight Into Darkness
29 Echo
30 The Wild One, Forever
31 American Dream Plan B
32 Lonesome Sundown 
33 Hometown Blues
34 Two Gunslingers
35 Dreamville
36 Tweeter And The Monkey Man
37 Shadow Of A Doubt
38 Love Is A Long Road
39 Casa Dega
40 Last Night
41 Rebels
42 Square One
43 Yer So Bad
44 Peace In L.A.
45 Waiting For Tonight
46 Crystal River
47 A Higher Place
48 The Best Of Everything
49 I Should Have Known It
50 It'll All Work Out

Hi just wondering if anyone could print Rolling Stone's Top 50 Tom Petty songs. I live in the UK and I don't think I can get hold of it, but I'm still curious about what they put. Thanks.

welcome to the madness

OMG, I'm on the list!!!!

No, wait... it's the song. ;)

Tweeter and the Monkeyman? Last Night? I would not have included collaborations such as these... you cannot be sure how much of it really is Tom's. Besides, I miss Lousiana Rain. And many others, like you, TomFest. But anyway. It's always the same with "best of" - lists.

Statistics:

Number of songs per album (Wilburys and compilations not included):

Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers: 4

You're Gonna Get It: 2

Damn The Torpedoes: 5

Hard Promises: 2

Long After Dark: 3

Southern Accents: 4

Let Me Up: 2

Full Moon Fever: 5

Into The Great Wide Open: 3

Wildflowers: 3

She's The One OST: 1

Echo: 3

The Last DJ: 1

Highway Companion: 1

Mudcrutch: 2

Mojo: 1

Hypnotic Eye: 1

Having posted the album list, I must say that the critics always seem to be too focused on the earlier work. I'm really not a huge fan of either Mojo or Hypnotic Eye, but Good Enough and Shadow People definitely belong - pretty objectively, imho - among his best work.

I'm trying to get a hold of a copy of this special issue, anyway. I love old interviews.

Has anybody read this thing? Any new interviews or just the old stories printed on new paper?

Is it worth 40 bucks? That's what it would sum up to for me, and I'm not going to pay that much money only for a crappy top-50-list... ;-)

Usually these things are just a collection of old interviews. Not even all interviews, but a selection. At least that's how it was with the Springsteen issue of the RS collector's edition (I know, hardly any Bruce fans around here). Kind of a "greatest hits"-method for music magazines.

Thank you for the list. All the obvious choices are there, but it could easily have been a Top 100. So many brilliant album tracks, it's a shame they don't get more recognition (It's Good To Be King, Swingin', Deliver Me etc).

Has anybody read this thing? Any new interviews or just the old stories printed on new paper?

Is it worth 40 bucks? That's what it would sum up to for me, and I'm not going to pay that much money only for a crappy top-50-list... ;-)

There are new interviews with Mike, Ron, and Ben - but not Tom.  The rest is previous interviews, photos, and record reviews, plus the top 50 list.  $40 worth?  No, I wouldn't pay that.   $12.99 was pushing it for me.

Lists like that cannot, per definition, hit the spot, right. Everybody has their own. Besides, just separating nr 37 from 38... insane work, right there.

Always nice when people dig deep into the world of TP&TH though. And that goes for the whole RS issue.. Cool in many ways - it's very existence is what matters - but not much news value. It's more of a trophy. 

As for the list.. At least interesting.. how DCAHNM and Room At The Top ends up on top 10.. leaving Learning To Fly not even on top 20. Ah, nuts. And Peace in LA is on the list. Really?! (Why not Heartbreaker's Beachparty? Or Moon Pie?) On the other hand - for non greatest hits like Wild One Forever, Hometown Blues and Crytstal River, to even make the list (and some of them high up too) - I also find surprising, but all the more refreshing!  And the statistics are interesting. With all the semi strangeness of this list, it seems clear that they had a strategy: each album (incl. TW and Mudcrutch and even single only tracks) had to be represented with at least one entry. Which makes sense for a career spanning overview or an "all-sides-of" angle of a presentation, but leaves the list rather forced and pointless in terms of actual catalogue merits, eras, song quality and in terms of writing interesting music journalism in general. As far as they have to have every single corner covered.. why then not let the more modern era album be a bit more visible on there, why not - in the name of justice (whatever that has to do with anything?!?) - pick three songs per album, three singles, three b-sides. They are pretty close to such approach already. 

At least there are too few entrys from the latter era albums. I agree with pervious posts on that.

Would be interesting to hear what people around here would do for a personal top 10 of TP. I'm sure it has been done tons of times, and I am sure it's a next to impossible task anyway.. but, still.. :)

The one thing that may perhaps be almost unchallenged is the nr 1, right? Hard to argue that in terms of impact and legacy it belongs in the top three songs of this band. But again, wouldn't most people say the same thing about I Won't Back Down. 

I don't know if they did this for the Petty issue, but normally RS writes a few lines about every song on their list. I'd like to know the reasons why Peace in L.A. was chosen. I must admit that I only know the "Peace mix" that was on Playback; but it never was a song that stuck in my head or struck me as especially significant. I guess it was a product of its time, a reaction to terrifying circumstances. In that context it can be regarded as important. Maybe that is it.

^ I was thinking the same thing. The circumstances under which it was released - and even more the spontanity and utter quickness in which it was recorded, printed and distrubuted, sure can be said to be very special indeed. At least it's more or less unique and kinda out of character for this band. Still - musically speaking - its' qualities and further impact as a song or a single was zero, so... Unless RS decided that they needed a single-only entry on the list - in which case PLA would be an obvious cult pick - its' inclusion is excentric at best. I'd say it makes no sense at all. I would trade it for any other album song - sans perhaps The Man Who Loves Women - any day. In other words.. "Stay cool - Don't be a fool!"

Trivia: Despite the different and special circumstances, there was a "promo" version made of this single. Also, as I recall it being told somewhere -- the conversation heard in the song, made to sound like it was recorded over police radio (at least that's how I understand it, and it goes dramatically well with the theme of the song and the sleeve cover photo) - when a voice says "It looks like it's burning" was actually taken from a recorded phone conversation made from the studio to the kitchen of the Howie Epstein residence. What is heard is apparently Howie, off conversation, informing what is supposedly Carlene Carter that something was being burnt on the stove. Picturing that makes the intonation of the voice seem slightly different.. as in the supposedly different sensations of burning cars vs burning toast.. And at the end of the day, I'm left wondering whether they actually recorded all phone calls in and out of the studio in those days, just in case something useful (or criminating) should turn up on record.. (Also, recall that other instance when TP is heard picking up the reciever on record, saying "...Iovine!!" ) I guess it could be argued that it was all arranged, but I chose to think not..

Got my copy and by now I've read it almost all the way through. As I said, it's interesting for me to read all the pre-2006 interviews since I never had access to them (save for the ITGWO-article). And I must say although it's a good selection, I kind of miss the feature on the 1995 tour. But it's online anyway (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/this-is-how-it-feels-tom-petty-on-the-road-19950504) so it's not really THAT bad... It's just a big gap between 1991 and 2006.

I got this for christmas.....very interesting and its neat to have these articles from Rolling stone ( although I had a few of the original ones, a few years back some mice got into the one from '79 )so its

nice to have it in one piece again.