vincanity23

wildfowers deluxe album???

Hm, I was wondering the same thing. Guess it's too late now for this release happen this side of new years..

All I know is that at least twice, in two different write ups on Hypnotic Eye, it was mentioned how Reprise was gonna put an anniversary edition of Wildflowers out before the end of the year. (Not sure wether the word 'delux' was mentioned, but supposedly implied. I think TP was quoted talking about the importance of Wildflowers sessions for him creatively and that unheard material of great interest, that he himself previously underrated would be on the re-dux version. If that was official or just talk, I don't know. Source unknown. And apparently disinformed.

It could be worth noting that both of these articles - I seem to recall - clearly stated that TP also mentioned reforming Mudcrutch but that was not yet know to be actually happening. Them making that distinction really made me think the Wildflowers info was informed. But who knows?

Maybe it's them vinyl pressing plants being delayed again?

Been thinking along such lines myself. The somewhat warped logic of a 21st anniversary release then? Would be as good in itself obviously, but somehow it doesn't have quite the same ring to it..

Not to mention where that would leave the much hoped for and talked about Mudcrutch? If the concept is to spread evenly, not flooding the market with more than one release per year --2017 is a long time and I was kinda hoping life was too short for pushing off reissues when so much is reportedly cooking anyway. I really thought we're getting to hear this one for Christmas.. Oh, well. Here's for new hopes and new plans!!

If they should? IMO, of course they should. By all means, load everything "relevant" on there!

I guess it depends on what you want to do, but personally I am more interested in them trying to create the double album it was intended to be - or to get a double disc worth of raw versions, demos, alternative takes, the outtakes and so on - then I am in them releasing a "remastered" version of the already released album, with few bonus tracks on the side. Still, with the logic of today's music business, I am fairly certain that the latter alternative is most likely to happen, a "repackaging plus" kind of deal, much like they did with Damn The Torpedoes the other year.

Sure, I would still buy it and I would probably still find whatever bonus material to be great and interesting, but I would admittedly be very disappointed if all we get is a reissue of the original title, with an addition of two or three outtakes and demos and some live tracks from the 1995 tour. IMO that wouldn't be nearly enough to celebrate the 21st anniversary of this this classic album.   

I remember reading an interview recently where Tom Petty said that the albums he didn't like and or wasn't satisfied with for one reason or another were Long After Dark, Let Me Up I've Had Enough and She's The One. The narrative about She's the One was that Tom knew the producer/ director of the film and basically did him a favour at the time by compiling what Tom considered to be sub standard sub par studio tracks from the Wild Flowers sessions for the soundtrack. If the tracks that made up She's The One were thought to be sub standard Wild FlowerS session tracks then I for one can't wait to see what the ''quality'' tracks from those sessions were that didn't make the Wildflowers album as I for one loved She's The One album - one of my favorite TPHB albums in fact. On that basis alone I have high hopes for the Wildflowers Deluxe release when it is eventually released.

I actually like She's The One more than Wildflowers. It's an interesting album yet because of its status as a soundtrack, seems like it's a forgotten album. Heck, Tom could change the lyrics in Forgotten Man to "...feel like a forgotten song, when it hangs unplayed, when the lonesome deep cuts sit mute."

Anyway, for those of you who love Wildflowers, I hope they do release a cornucopia of songs from those sessions.

Ha ha ha! That was really good MJ2LD!!

(This may have been in the Conversations book--not 100% sure.)

Somewhere Tom said he had the scores used in Wildflowers songs on cassette. He played them in the house frequently. He just loved them. I am hoping at least one of those uncut scores is on the second disk. 

In regard to future releases Tom speaks of I do make mental notes. But I don't try to hold it to any time constraint. Maybe Reprise backed off once they knew Hypnotic Eye would be ready in 2014.

But then again, DTT Deluxe and Mojo came out the same year...with about five months in between. Hmmmm...

I came up with a possible explanation (*speculation warning*): If I remember correctly, Hypnotic Eye should have been out earlier last year, earlier than it finally was released, that is. Or was it even due in the end of 2013? Anyway, they originally may have had a different time schedule for last year that would have allowed for the Wildflowers-deluxe-set to be out in fall or winter 2014. But this way, with HE's kind of delayed release and due to its great success they decided to postpone the Wildflowers project.

Should the relevant songs from She's The One (California,I Hope You Never,Hung Up and Overdue) be included on the Wildflowers Deluxe?

I'm guessing that they won't include the She's the One tracks since it has been in pre-order as a re-issue for a while (since the tour in 2014):

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/7416/Tom_Petty_And_The_Heartbreakers-Shes_The_One-Vinyl_Record

Thank goodness for that-- copies of this soundtrack on vinyl go for $150 on average on Discogs.com!

And, a Wildflowers vinyl reissue would be excellent as well, since those are also unobtanium. 

I'm guessing that they won't include the She's the One tracks since it has been in pre-order as a re-issue for a while (since the tour in 2014):

http://store.acousticsounds.com/d/7416/Tom_Petty_And_The_Heartbreakers-Shes_The_One-Vinyl_Record

Thank goodness for that-- copies of this soundtrack on vinyl go for $150 on average on Discogs.com!

And, a Wildflowers vinyl reissue would be excellent as well, since those are also unobtanium.

Well, I think it's a safe assumption that the anniversary (if that's what it is anymore??) edition of Wildflowers will be released on vinyl, among other formats. (Music cassette would be awesome, right! :))

I for one think that them missing the 20 year mark, makes it less obvious that Wildflowers is the album to put all focus on, even if it's admittedly very cool if it's being made a sort of "artist's cut", the "doulbe album that was intended" or that sort of deal. Although I will love whatever they give me, I find plenty other titles from the catalogue too would benefit from in-depth reissues with bonus material as much as do Wildflowers. Perhaps for next year - the big 40 - taking the cue from what they did to Damn The Torpedoes, they could reissue the whole catalogue delux style? That way, all single-onlys, b-side tracks, key demos and outtakes can be added an thus presented in context. Just an idea.

As for reissuing original albums (remastered or otherwise) on vinyl - as is - I too very much look forward to that STO (and perhaps the original version WF too - if they bother with such once they have the delux issue out). A bit nerdy perhaps, but I tend to go for original prints (first print, or first print of main market) when I shop for vinyls, but in cases like WF and STO, finding a mint (or even near mint) copy for a reasonable amount is next to impossible, so... $150 is perhaps doable for a perfect copy, but.. I've seen the rare sealed copy go for almost double that for both these albums, making them indeed among TP's few real pricy collectors items, so.. I would very much welcome such reissues.

Anyways.. anyone heard words of a possible date as of yet? Soon april and one thinks that if it's gonna be here before late Fall, a date should be set by now, according to standard procedures (not to mention rumors cooking, adds showing, write ups starting to pop up.. ) Is it the good old christmas argument again, for us to rely on (when did that really happen, btw??) or are they just gonna drop it on us out of the blue before the summer?

And what about the spoked about live album of 2013 recidencies material? They still think that is gonna happen? I'm sadly starting to lean against perhaps not. Then, at least, we have Mudcrutch that TP seemed to "predict" just recently. That to me is the most important of all the flags that have been waved. I would of course hope all three of them will happen, but like I said.. it's almost April and not a word.. Or, I missed anything?

Hard to say. Too many meals being cooked in the kitchen. I don't think, with all that's in the pipeline, that we as outsiders can accuratley speculate what is going to happen, which release is coming out first. Maybe all of a suddden Mudcrutch becomes the most important thing, for reasons none of us can see coming, or the live album, or Wildflowers deluxe... but I must say, Wildflowers deluxe smells like Christmas to me.

No, I know. Speculation is pointless, really. Too many meals indeed.. all of them promised for serving in more or less specific words.

I just hope we get something. Most of all Mudcrutch - it is by far "the most important thing", if  you ask me. And that's the one most understandably hidden in the shadows as of yet. If they even started working on it yet, it would still likely be several months in the making before we get to hear any of it. Do I smell October for that one? Oh well, the sooner the better, right.

As for archival releases that's been prepared and worked on, even tentatively put in the pipeline for release at one point, since over a year back (Wildflowers, possible live album), I suppose such titles can show up more suddenly. But consider how long they've been put off already.. who knows?

I guess we'll wait and see. I just wondered if anyone happened to hear rumors.

As a side note: I just read a piece on so called surprise strategies trending in the record business. That is, there seems to be a current tendency to set a date and then release whatever is gonna be released way ahead of said date, to create a stir and buzz online and in the music press. Or simply not setting a date at all, just getting up early one morning suddenly hitting the "release" button and let whatever it is lose. All for the sake of the same effect or drama. To reach above the media murmur and noise of today's thoroughly cynical and hyper professional business. Seems like such strategies are more effective, the stir and supposed upheaval more selling in some countries than others, depending on consumer listening habits. (Same article mentions how only about 21% of music sales/consumption in Sweden is actual physical CDs or Records and 79% is digital, while in Germany the numbers are almost reversed with about 75% of sales still being physical units.)  No, I wouldn't suspect TP to adopt such trend behaviour and just suddenly drop an album on us, but if he did.. it would be awesome! As always.. the waiting is the hardest part! Right!

Re: the live album, could it be that just refered to the HCC free download they made available last summer? I'd love to see a real release, a live album of all the deeper cuts from 2013, but maybe Tom was just talking off the top of his head around the time of that interview, and the download was all that became of it.

(As an aside, I still don't like the business decision to put that Live 2013 album behind a paywall. Why should huge TPATH fans have to join a paid fan club to get access to music? It reeked of the Golden Circle mentality TP railed against in The Last DJ. But thats'a topic for another day!)

^ That aside of yours.. I very much agree on.

Asides aside, now when we suddenly have two ongoing threads about the Wildflowers 40th Anniversary issue.. I would like to keep this one up :) by pondering a bit more what could be expected. For the sake of teaser I have gathered a little neat list of what we have, apart from the actual album...

First we have the outtakes that ended up as single b-sides:

*Cabin Down Below (alternative version)
*Only A Broken Heart (alternative version)
*Girl On LSD

Then we have the outtakes that ended up on She's The One (the first two of which was re-recorded for STO)

*Supernatural Radio (original)
*Climb That Hill (original)
*Hope You Never
*California
*Hung Up And Overdue

Then we have the outtakes that are not officially released:

*Wake up Time (alternative take)
*Time to Move On (alternative take)
*Leave Virginia Alone (Rod Stewart realeased it in 1995)
*Confusion Wheel
*Something Could Happen
*Lonesome Dave
*Somewhere Under Heaven
*U Get Me High (original version)

I don't see why all of this could not be released as a 2nd disc of a double disc set, the first disc then comprising the original album. At least if the three tracks that were used straight up for STO are available in original mix versions. No point in adding them in their STO mixes. Of course, there might also be other stuff of interest - demos etc. In short.. there's no shortage. :)

(As an aside, I still don't like the business decision to put that Live 2013 album behind a paywall. Why should huge TPATH fans have to join a paid fan club to get access to music? It reeked of the Golden Circle mentality TP railed against in The Last DJ. But thats'a topic for another day!)

What live album is this? There's a live album, good sound quality out there and it's not for regular purchase?