Boxcar Trev

2014 Tour Setlists

That's probably the best attitude, enjoy the shows as they are, enjoy the music and have fun and if you get something like Century City, or the Last Dj or Melinda, you'll really appreciate it.

I think I read a Mike interview and to paraphrase, he'll try to approach a song like American Girl as if it were new and finds himself enjoying it. Which makes sense, despite the nearly constant appearance on sets, it's still their song and represents something amazing for them, especially getting all that energy from the crowd.

I agree with some of the "tired" songs on the setlists over the years (well, I guess especially the last 10 years probably?)

I’d say. Very loose math has it that give or take half the current list has been up almost nightly for the last 20 years. Truth. About one quarter of it have been quite regular for some or all of the last four tours. The remaining short of a quarter, are new to the set and are statistically not likely to survive this tour. Man, do I hope I'm wrong.

Also. Given the last few tours, not to mention it being a staple from tours past and even released as a 12" once, I get just a little sad when people count Spike among the deep cuts. :)

That's probably the best attitude, enjoy the shows as they are, enjoy the music and have fun and if you get something like Century City, or the Last Dj or Melinda, you'll really appreciate it.

Yes, that is a good attitude. Or, after say ten shows, if you get a little tired of the show, if you still haven't got to see more than 30 songs total and if costs still keeps climbing exponentially, maybe it's time to take your time and money elsewhere. A crying shame on what is potentially (and sometimes even factually) the most exciting live experience on earth.

I think pre-internet it was a little different in that I wasn't aware of how little the set lists changed from tour to tour. I really didn't know if they mixed up night to night and most concert reviews that I read, would waste a precious paragraph or two on the history of the band or how many years it had been since they last played here before even touching on the actual show. You'd be lucky if you even saw a setlist, they'd usually say something like,

"Tom Petty's new single, Walls brought the walls down between band and audience last night, the crowd going wild for 'I Won't Back Down' and 'Running Down a Dream', one hopes that Tom and the boys keep running down that dream, cause we'll be here right alongside them, every time they come to town. Blah blah blah, opening band blah blah blah." 

That's it? What else did they play?

Now we can not only instantly know what was played, we can even watch footage of it!

But we also now know that the sets are pretty rigid and have been for years. At least the band has gotten looser with the songs themselves though.

I decided to really savor the shows I saw back in 06 and after that, decided I was done seeing them in concert. I still enjoy a good live recording and the live footage and that amazingly awesome version of Saving Grace from 08, but I don't need to see them in person anymore.

I prefer to post my distaste for their set lists instead!   :)

By TPATH's standards, Spike is a deep cut. I think Shelter just laments that something that has been played in the past and was released as a single on vinyl is considered rare when they have songs like One Story Town or All Or Nothing just being ignored.

That's great that you saw it and it made you happy! It's such a jaunty, attitude filled song.

^ Then a brand new song and a staple of the 1985 live set, it was performed at Farm Aid and also released as a 12" to promote the "Pack Up The Plantation" double live album. It was furthermore part of the video by the same name and released as the b-side of the 7" single of TP and Stevie Nicks' doing "Needles & Pins". Promoting the Southern Accents album was a 12" sampler/greatest hits LP called "Don't Come Around Here No More", featuring Spike as song 5.

In more recent years, Spike was part of the 2009 live compilation set "Live Anthology". While in general hiatus for all of the 1990s and indeed very rarely played in the early 2000s, it saw a return of sorts as a semi regular in the live sets around 2008 and has seen more extensive play since 2012. 

Thus goes the history of another bad*ss. All in all, an existence not totally unlike it's album kin "Rebels".

That said, I realize "Spike" is not exactly what you'd call a blockbuster. It's by far over shadowed in size and impact by the likes of "I Won't Back Down", "Free Fallin'", "Running Down A Dream", "Don't Come Around Here No More", "Mary Jane", "American Girl" or "Refugee", "Learning To Fly", "You Wreck Me". Still, by now I wouldn't say, statuswise, that it's any more obscure than the other semi-regulars, like "You Don't Know How It Feels", "A Woman in Love", "Breakdown", "Yer So Bad", "I Need to Know", "The Waiting", "Rebels" (yeah), "Listen To Her Heart" and "Into The Great Wide Open". Songs that unlike the mega hits have been on deserved hiatus now and then, taking turns to fill the one or two vacant slots in the set, but once indeed was some sort of semi-hits in their own right and are much expected to show up - the next to last of which just went missing after a few extensive runs and the latter of which just recently was returned.*

So, I lament (oh, how I lament.. :) ) the recent years' semi-regular status of Spike, not compared to American Girl, but compared to the other 85% of the TP&TH catalogue. True that. Still - of course, I love the song and if you have never seen it I sure hope you will some day!  

---

*On a related note, with this tiny bit of rotation that sometimes takes place between tours - some songs become "live hits", without being studio/single hits and vice versa. Spike, as I see it, is definitely more of a live hit in that respect, most famous, even among fans, for it's 1985 live version, released on that promo single and a sort of classic. Over time I can see how such things can and will develop between the band and the audience - given room - but who is to decide what to make of a new, unplayed (live) song? Is it really a "safe" bet to let "Fault Lines" go already, while for some reason deciding already by the time of the release of Mojo that "I Should've Known It" was to be the keeper and the "live hit" from that one? I don't see much signs of the latter song being much of a hit at all in the normal sense (though I know it was released on promo cd) and it's not that it has developed over time either. They just decided to crown it the Mojo staple hit, as it seems. Just as they long since decided that no songs from Echo, DJ or Highway Companion will be part of the core long term set. Could it really be that "I Should've Known It" goes over so much better with the crowd than any other Mojo songs, or any of those other songs from those earlier and neglected albums, and how could they have know this already after playing it for one single tour? (I remember "Running Man's Bible" getting better crowd reactions when I saw them.. could be the "glory and survival" parts.. but still..) Maybe they just feel like playing "I Should've Known It" and that is fair enough, if so! Only, to judge from the rest of the set, that is not exactly how they operate, so... Since 2012 I've found the almost consistent inclusion of "I Should've Known It" to be suspicious, and when we are getting closer to half of this years tour and some of the more obvious songs of the new (and nr 1 in the charts!!!) album, haven't even been tried. I'm prepared to quote the back of an old TP t-shirt I have - "Nothing Makes Sense!"