Boxcar Trev

2014 Tour Setlists

Not much set list variation overall so far. At least they're shuffling up the acoustic songs somewhat, but it still seems like the 2013 arsenal + ITGWO + 4 new HE songs. Also, I wonder why they're reluctant to play Fault Lines? It's just about the consensus best song from HE and seems like it would be so perfect live! Only played once.

Not much set list variation overall so far. At least they're shuffling up the acoustic songs somewhat, but it still seems like the 2013 arsenal + ITGWO + 4 new HE songs. Also, I wonder why they're reluctant to play Fault Lines? It's just about the consensus best song from HE and seems like it would be so perfect live! Only played once.

I agree that Fault Lines needs to great played at every concert. It's a show-stopper for sure!

I made a sign and took it to the Gorge "Congrats on #1 Album" on one side and "FAULT LINES PLEASE" on the other. Mike read it and said thank you to the Congrats side, so I turned it over and he shook his head no pretty emphatically at the Fault Lines request. His reaction gave me the feeling that it might not get played again.... I hope that is not the case. I would love to hear it live and I'm sure I'm not alone.  

I made a sign and took it to the Gorge "Congrats on #1 Album" on one side and "FAULT LINES PLEASE" on the other. Mike read it and said thank you to the Congrats side, so I turned it over and he shook his head no pretty emphatically at the Fault Lines request. His reaction gave me the feeling that it might not get played again.... I hope that is not the case. I would love to hear it live and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Nice little story, there! I'm personally very interested in setlist related issues. Good idea with that sign!

Hm.. I wouldn't be so sure they won't play FL again. Obviously I wasn't there to read the face of MC, but judging from extensive studies of TP&TH setlists (studies that are for about 60% easily learned from reading or hearing your first setlist, and for the rest of the percentage a bit more complicated), I'd say there is one tendency speaking against your hunch that they won't play FL again, and one speaking for it, I'd say.

AGAINST: MC was refering to that night's setlist only. Due to lights and soundboard (and telepromter, if used/needed) programming, many bands these days never stray from what is decided prior to entering the stage. This, IMO, is good in terms of creating a neatly scripted, strictly professional and clinically smooth show; it's decidedly less good in terms of what rock'n'roll is all about, in terms of the ability for the band to follow their own vibe of the night or the crowd or whatever, to go exciting places within certain frames. In short, it kills spontaneity, and if this is what was at work for you, MC simply meant that FL was not in the script for that specific night and that the script is not to be revised.

FOR: MC acually meant that the song is no more. There is a vague tendency that the first few shows of a tour see a few exciting new and/or sometimes rare older songs being tried out, so to speak, and after one, sometimes two times, may be deemed not working for one reason or the other, and hence the song(s) get rotated out from the nightly set, early on in the tour. One might add, that over the years, TPATH have frequently (and understandably) played quite a number of new songs when touring a new album. While rarely picking more than four or five newbies in total (a good number) and even more rarely choosing to play all those handful each night, most new songs, deemed worthy to stay in the set, gets rotated in and out of the set at least a few times over the cause of a tour. (After all, speaking of airing the bulk of the new songs on tour, since having the core set cemented during the commercial peak/Jeff Lynne era, with them defining themselves as a live band kinda stuck in the early 90s – sorry, don’t shoot the messenger here! - I really think only The Last DJ and Mojo tours, respectively, have showed some real creative thinking, in this respect.)

---

Moreover (as an additional thought) - no matter how many new songs gets played on a tour, if they are each nighters or rotated - when the next tour comes along, they will become throw-outs; TPAHB traditionally keeps - at tops - one song from the next-to last album to stay in the set for coming tours. (Now it’s I Should’ve Known It, but I seem to recall that for the Mojo tour, exactly zip HCC songs were played and for HCC tour, no DJ songs either.. the tour in between sometimes displays a bit more variety, with one or two more really deep cuts, but at the same time, with no new material added tend to be even more Greatest Hits Tours in character). This may take your hunch even further: if indeed FL is not to played anymore on this tour, if that is what MC was suggesting, chances are it may not ever get played again. At all. Or at best it gets played at some rarity spangled odd event or residency in the not too distant future. That’s pure and simple TP&TH statistics.

Thing is, if they keep one or two songs from Hypnotic Eye for the next upcoming tours, like they sometimes, if seldom, do add a song or two to the returning core of songs, the total set will be getting next to full, no room for further surprises and chances are that whatever little room will be left, will be used for next generation of new songs or a few (hopefully exciting) covers. The variety slots, with this logic, will all soon be gone. Thus I for one was hoping that FL was gonna be one of the keepers from this tour. Because, IMO, at least three or four of the HE songs deserves spots in the core set. They would add a much deserved nerve to the Lynne-era spine of TP’s self confidence. Hence I really hope the first alternative of the two suggested goes, in terms of what MC meant by that head shake you saw. I hope, and somehow think (although contradicting myself, in terms of really longing for the raw and spontaneous rock’n’roll vibe rather than the calculated and strictly planned out show from this band) that he simply meant that they hadn’t scripted FL for that specific show, but that it might be back now and then at later times.

Finally. These are ponderings, based on ages of following the deeds of this band closely. Furhermore, there are exceptions from these general tendencies that I talk about. Sometimes songs may still get thrown in at a whim. Although I can’t say for sure when was the last time that happens..to my knowledge it may not have happened at all in the 2000s – despite the (obviously scripted) on-stage talk of how deep they dig and how they might not remember songs, it’s been so long, despite their famous ability to improvise and feed telepathically off each other in the studio and within live solos and stanzas of songs, they have certainly prepared in miniscule almost everything that goes on, seemingly not trusting themselves with straying from the agreed on paper that state the planned moves of the night or to make too much changes between nights either. Sometimes not even between tours, a fan of variation might carefully add.)

And speaking of exceptions to my observations regarding the set list logic and new songs - obviously I already mentioned the different set ups of the DJ and Mojo tour. Then we have the concept of premiering songs well ahead of albums (Turn This Car Around…) or original songs that’s never ended up on studio records (Black Leather Woman, Two Men Talking, Melinda etc) to be thrown into the statistics. Finally we have the far-out and ultra real performances of the residencies of 2013, 2003, 1997 and 1999, when other, refined and glowing versions of the live playing experience has been displayed and the band has put their action exactly where their mouths always are, which, neeedless to say, is about the most fantastic and fun a music fan can ever have experience irl or on recording. My ponderings here mainly consider the usual tour experience and statistics of the usual tour setlist and the status of new songs over time.

The fact of the matter – the stuff I’ve been mentioning above is, to me, what unfortunately gives this band away as a primarily greatest hits band - despite what they obviously can do and despite of what they often claim they are about. Some stuff never ever gets played, even in the beginning. Sad for the core fans, but generally fine and quite natural for a number of reasons (voice pitch, vibe, temper,personal issues etc). Further, when an album is new, a few songs tend to get heavily played, but then never again. And this is what the unwillingness to rethink their own legacy – kinda like a 50%-and-increasing fairgrounds circuit novelty act, or a living jukebox – is gradually going to be doing to the set over time. Save for the core of songs from the Greatest Hits album (+ one or two almost-greatest hits frequently revisited, and the one staple that just missed the Greatest Hits album mark due to late coming – You Wreck Me) it’s hard for other songs to make it unto the now regular list. And the status of the rotated stuff is unclear. (For awhile it seemed to increase in numbers and in portion of the set, but lately it seems to have taken a step pack into fixation - much like High Grass Dog suggests, it "seems like the 2013 arsenal + ITGWO + 4 new HE songs") Obviously, I for one hope that the concept of a long term (it’s well into its third decade by now) “regular” set is deemed superfluous. The sooner, the better. This may all tie in with other discussions, of the power of tour managements, venue sponsors, co-deals, signed statements of intent, the money and money split involved, and so on.. It gets complicated, I’m sure.

But I’m also sure, that TP at this age and stage if the game, could be doing pretty much what he wants and thus I think, in terms of setlists, it’s long since time for this band to realize that they are so much better than to keep relying their few semi-odd or new shining pieces on a basis of a stagnant yesterday news of the greatest hits circuit, that their unique and special musicianship is no mere lipservice or studio magic like most other bands. They actually can serve it up, they actually can give more great music, theirs and others, more time in the spotlight and in the ear of appreciative crowds. A huge part of their audience is the same from tour to tour anyway, even for multiple nights on each tour, so.. I think it’s obvious they all know all this by heart, and as to why, despite this need to let go a bit, to let their true flag fly freely, they so rarely, I don’t know. Like I said.. it’s probably complicated and they probably have tons of reasons. (And worse case scenario, if they have to step down from 40 dates of multiple thousands venues to 30 dates of slightly lesser venues, in order to really act up to their Words, then I don't see why not. Better quality and more fun shows, as well as more time off-road, so to speak, should be a great benefit for a slightly lesser amount of greens. Again.. we always come back to the money, right.. it's 2014 after all, the year of the Pig.)

No matter what MC meant there.. I really hope FL will show again soon and that it will be among the few exceptions that eventually makes it to the regular set on a more frequent basis or that they skip the “regular” part and that many songs see their way back into the set every now and then. It would be so sad if it, like so many other TP songs in the past, goes next-to extinct already. Let’s really hope it doesn’t. That’s all.

Thanks Shelter, it was a good read. I think the residencies are the only time we are ever going to get a really interesting set and even then it tends to be covers and back catalogue from the 70s and 80s. I would love to see the whole of Highway Companion or Hypnotic Eye played live but we just have to accept that is never going to happen.

Calgary:

Thanks Shelter, it was a good read. I think the residencies are the only time we are ever going to get a really interesting set and even then it tends to be covers and back catalogue from the 70s and 80s. I would love to see the whole of Highway Companion or Hypnotic Eye played live but we just have to accept that is never going to happen.

Thanks, well.. yeah, I'm sure you are right. 

But to underline what I'm talking about here - there ain't really a totally bananas make-over needed.

Like this: Given a set of 20-22 songs - to rotate two or three of the mega hit slots (with other mega hits) frequently, to do the same thing with two or three of the lesser hits slots as well as with two cover slots, would mean that some, say 24-30 songs total needed to be pre-tour prepared for a total of six to eight slots in the setlist. The remaining 12-16 slots of the set then could stay the same for the course of the tour. Hence the band would need to rehearse (and if really necessary, to pre-program lights, soundmix, videos, tele-prompter and the works for) somewhere between 38 and 46 songs total, depending on level of ambition.

The former total of which isn't too different a number, from what they have been doing in recent tours. Only difference would be that they frequently seem to prefer to keep the "played-each-night-of-the-tour" category of songs at the highest possible number, instead of at the lowest possible, with a broader average curve of songs in the statistics. The static portion of the set is too large, by considerable degree (especially since it's still all from 89 and 91, with a dash of 79 and 94), and this could be changed with rather small measures, that's all I'm saying. I don't dream om album themed shows or deep cuts only. I dream of an inspired mix. I dream of action instead of empty words. However, at this point, with the new songs, this is a bit of an academic concern. Nevertheless one that I find to be important and very true. 

Despite what it may look like to the untrained eyed, this is not rocket science. Nor is it economics, necessarily. It's only rock'n'roll.

But I like it. 

^ I agree. That sounds great. But,  having said that I have never walked out of a TPHB show disappointed with the setlist or the quality of the songs that were performed. And I 've been to a few shows. I just love the feel and sound of this band and to see them live is magical, no matter what they play! :D Still smiling from my first two shows, and still have 2 to go. :D

^ I agree. That sounds great. But,  having said that I have never walked out of a TPHB show disappointed with the setlist or the quality of the songs that were performed. And I 've been to a few shows. I just love the feel and sound of this band and to see them live is magical, no matter what they play! :D Still smiling from my first two shows, and still have 2 to go. :D

Good point! To which I partly agree - They DO put on amazing shows, always, with drive, quality and vibe. No doubt. As is, generally well worth the $$$$ and far ahead of most competition.

Still, sometimes I don't know if it's me not being big enough fan, or possibly being much too big of a fan, to ever again getting too overly excited about the prospect of seeing yet another round of the whole bunch of stuff that I've seen and heard in person all my six times. (And surely a few hundred times on live recordings - the only words as common as the word "cd-r" in my bootleg collection are the words that makes up the titles for six or seven TP songs, with another handful of TP titles for a tied second, so statistics are overwhelming, really). How amazing it was, in this respect, to see Mudcrutch in 2008. A chance to see Tom without having to hear Running Down a Dream! A strangely weird and exciting sensation, that many fans might not be able to handle. :)

Cause after all, talking to fellow TP fans over the years, I know that I'm in minority in thinking along these lines, having these opinions or even thinking it at all important. Indeed most fans are fans mainly to the hits and even core fans that has seen the band many times more often than I've had the blessing to do, often seems to prefer knowing what they will get. They seem to thrive on getting a largely identical set as last time, and the time before that. I remember people heading for the bathrooms or falling asleep in their seats during the new Mojo songs part of the 2010 set. (Oh, the nerve! To play those songs back to back!!)

The repetition itself seemingly has become part of the ritual and part of the love for this band. I know this, so I'm not sure why I argue (other than ideological and purely music loving reasons presumably, that to me this is not a cult, it's music?). For whatever strange reason, this prepossession for repetition in band and fans alike, is exactly what I find a bit loathsome. Despite many other amazing features of theirs, ever great performances, being cool dudes, I often find myself tending to high hopes of what can and occasionally has been done, always one to celebrate the splendid exceptions as a cherished sign of life.

That said, I'm sure I'd find the lion part of the current tour set(s) to be absolutely thrilling, had I a chance to go! Besides, I suppose the general consent is known and shared between band and fanbase and then it's all good. It is what it is. Never mind me. :)

Hi, 

I have more to say on this subject, but for now, I largely agree with Shelter regarding the set lists. I thought maybe they were serious about changing things up when I saw the second night of the tour, sure, it wasn't a huge difference to the first night but it was something...something they never delivered on.

As others have noted, aside from special residencies or unique shows, they are a greatest hits live band, which I understand, but surely they could mix up the rest of the set a lot more; it's gotta be boring by show number five, knowing that you're about to play Into The Great Wide Open again, in the same spot as you did the previous four nights. And same with American Girl, I understand why they play it but do they always have to finish with it? Tour after tour after tour?

It's good but not good enough (pun intended) that they're mixing up some of the acoustic numbers but they could do so much more. 

I'd been fooled again (I didn't like it) when I saw the second night's set. Hey, maybe this time Tom is actually going to mix things up and this is just the tentative beginning. But after 9 shows, it's business as usual. Well, let's take a closer look...

First, Tom and the boys are phenomenal musicians and I love when they extend songs, when they bring it down, when Benmont takes an long yet incredibly solo, when they let the guitars go wild, all of it, even in a somewhat structured form like It's Good To Be King, is really enjoyable. I loved the rocked up and long version of Saving Grace and I've heard they've extended Shadow People, maybe they've done some of that in Forgotten Man too, I don't know, I haven't listened nor watched the live recordings yet.

So, the good news is they are willing to go beyond the songs as recorded.

The bad news is they pretty much stick to a safe, Greatest HIts set list.

From interviews and a general impression, it seems like Tom (and I'm singling him out because he is the leader and determines the set) really wants to please the audience. That's a truism. They're professionals and know that the audience paid a lot of money for their tickets and want to deliver on this.

They also know, that the biggest responses are going to be for the hit singles. 

The thing is, I recall in interviews where Tom would say things like they're not a jukebox, etc. Maybe this was only in relation to the special shows. But they are a "jukebox."

Based on the quality of Hypnotic Eye I really thought they'd do something different, this was their first rock-n-roll type album in years and I figured they'd want to play the hell out of it. Not give Fault Lines a go and forget about it. But I forgot that Tom says one thing and does another when it comes to the live shows.

So, it's once again some hits, a couple new ones and covers.

Let's take a closer look:

Rock-n-Roll Star: I understand why they pulled this out not too long ago, as it was a cover associated with them and a certain period of their past and it felt fresh, well, as fresh as a cover can feel. But opening every show with it? The problem with covers, even well done ones, is that it's taking away from their own songs. I know they love playing the covers, have a vast knowledge of cover songs but I don't care about  Willie Dixon, or the Byrds, or the  Wilburys, I'd prefer to hear something from the Heartbreakers catalog. I don't know why, instead of covers, they don't pull out lesser or never played songs of their own. 

Mary Jane's Last Dance---a great song. A good groove. I wonder if they still extend it the way they did in 95. Anyway, second song, big hit, get the audience excited. Makes sense.

Baby Please Don't Go---no no, please go. Please go and don't come back! I get it, they love this style of music, it's their history, it has roots, etc. etc. etc. but who the hell wants to hear a quick oldies rocker when they have their own songs just sitting there, not being played. Three songs in and we have two covers! It's disappointing. 

American Dream Plan B---ahh, yes. This is more like it! A great song, amazing changes, amazingly inspiring chorus. Something new! Excellent. And its upbeat, so if the majority (?) Isn't familiar with it, at least the tempo will hopefully keep them invovled.

Great Wide Open---Well, I don't think this has been played in years so I understand why they pulled it out, and it's a hit single so again...but...I don't really care for this song. That's my preference, I don't have much to say about it. I don't usually care for "story" songs and unless they've changed it up in some way, have no interest in this. For me, it's them hitting a wall after the high of Plan B but I understand how others may enjoy this song.

Forgotten Man---All Right! That is a great intro, I could see them really letting that build and build and build some more in the live setting. I hope they're extending some parts of this, but even if they're not, it's a fast, punchy song. Excellent.

I Won't Back Down---It's a classic. It's inspiring. I probably heard it waaaaay too many times and just wore it out. I actually came to prefer the slower, sparser versions. Again, I know why they play this, I just think it would be great if Mike took an extended solo on it. I'm not excited about this being part of the never-changing set list but oh well.

Free Fallin'----See above. Oh, I understand that some would say these are "cover songs" as well, since they're not listed under the Heartbreakers but I don't view them that way. Same with Wildflowers and Highway Companion.

Tweeter---Uggh. Blehh. This song creates a "conflict" for me. On the one hand, I enjoy when they stretch songs out, which I've heard they've done with this, so that's good. On the other hand, I don't like this one at all. Another seemingly endless "story" song. Not to my liking. And more importantly, it's a Wilbury's song. Shit. I'd rather them play Mudcrutch, at least Mike and Ben are in that. But a Wilbury's song. Sure, that first album is quite different but again, this is a Tom Petty concert. i get that the Wilbury's won't perform ever (and shouldn't without Roy Orbison and George Harrison!) but does this have to be played every night?

U Get Me High---Ahh, yes. Another excellent selection, what a groove this song has.

Rebels---Never cared for this but I've heard they reworked it. At least it hasn't been a set list fixture for years and years. But why not play It Ain't Nothing To Me or something else from Southern Accents, why the hit single again.

Two Gunslingers---I'm glad they pulled this one out. It's not as amazing as You and I Will Meet Again, talk about an unplayed gem! but it is good and somewhat different for them to play.

Yer So Bad---I always loved this song, particularly the version at the Vic, I think.

Learning to Fly---Well, if they're still doing the "gospel" version with the call and response, that's good, good that it's not the same as the song on record but I think they could do more with it live. Especially if they went back to the more rocking version, it's a song that could use a good extended outro solo. Another hit.

Shadow People---When I first head this song I thought it was a disappointing finish to the album, though I loved Tom's brief coda. However, after a second listen, I really came to like it, so I'm glad they're playing it and are (I'm pretty sure) extending it live. Good choice.

I Should Have Known It---I like this one, I hope Mike is taking even more of a solo on it.

You Wreck Me---I like this song. It's a fun song and they do stretch out on it but...it has been played, I think, on every tour since 95 on. I wouldn't mind if they gave this one a break for a while but, I know you're tired of reading this, hell, if you made it this far, if my "ranting" hasn't turned you off, but AGAIN, I know why they play this. It's fast, it's popular.

Runnin'----See above, except it was even a bigger hit. I guess they'll always play it. I LOVE this song and I get why it's on set lists and why it always will be. Too bad they really don't extend the ending and just close the night with this instead of American Girl.

Don't Come Around----Another hit, reminds me of the Waiting, not in terms of song structure but because it seems like it'll reappear and disappear over tours, not as consistently played as the other big hits. I think the song would be even better with more guitar outro craziness.

American Girl----Some variation of what I've written for any of the hit songs above, but they don't have to close with it every show. Jeez. If you still play it, even open with it, people will still enjoy the concert.

It's just a shame that they play such a rigid set.  Sure, yes, they "mix" it up with different acoustic songs or in this case, skipping Refugee. But this is really begging for crumbs. I hoped Pearl Jam would've influenced them into playing a different set every night but I guess not.

I think it's great that Die-Hard fan took a Fault Lines sign and even more incredible that Mike saw it. I'm sorry they didn't play it. Gosh darn it, they should've! 

It's not like they're inundated with signs, heck, I bet most people didn't even know you had a sign or what was written on it, so it's not like them taking your request would've opened the floodgates. I give you credit for taking the time to make the sign and I'm happy Mike acknowledged it but again, I wish they'd played it for you!

That's the problem right there. It's not even like you were asking for something obscure like Luna or Let Me Up or Finding Out. You were asking for a song they played once on this tour, that's fresh in their minds from the new album. And they wouldn't do it. Why? 

Was Tom displeased with how it sounded live? Disappointed in the audience reaction or lack thereof? But who cares? In interviews he acts like he doesn't care anymore, that they're the type of band they are and he's not worried about hit singles but live they just come on an do pretty much the same set....FOR YEARS!

In Conversations with Tom Petty, he even notes that their wardrobe woman requests a song and they won't play it. WHY?

With the number of hit singles they have, even if a song goes over poorly from their perception, all they have to do is hit the opening chords to one of the hits and they'll be a HUGE appreciative ROAR from the crowd. Energy back up.

As for lighting, who cares. So what if it's preprogrammed. I don't know what lighting they used on Runnin' Down a Dream or Free Fallin' and I don't care. People are there for the music, the lighting is a nice accompaniment but it's not the main course. Just use a different song's lighting for something unexpected, like if they'd played the Fault Lines request. 

The only lighting I can recall from any of their shows is the strobe in Don't Come Around and that's just beause it's the only time they do a strobe. Anyway, lighting, preprogrammed or not isn't an excuse to have a set with such little variation.

In the end, Tom plays it safe. It's a shame, to have such talented musicians and such a large catalog of music and just keep churning out the same songs. If they know tons of covers, they could easily relearn their old songs, especially since so many of them are just simple chord progressions. I mean this as a compliment, I think it's amazing that they have so many good to great songs that are so deceptively simple. My point is, they could easily relearn songs they haven't played in years. It's too bad they don't.

Sure, Let Me Up or Zombie Zoo or When the Time Comes (how great they played it in L.A.) won't get the huge reaction as Free Fallin' or You Don't Know How It Feels but they will make some of the audience happy and who knows, may even find people loving these songs and wanting to seek out their older material.

I don't think there's any excuse for them not to mix it up every night, lay off the covers and play rare songs. Tom chooses not to, I think, my guess is because he wants the evening to go a certain, definite way every night and doesn't want to mess with that and that the rare songs don't have that response and he figures it's not worth playing.

I disagree but it seems to be a minority viewpoint and people are going to the shows and having fun, so I don't expect it to change.

cheers

^

How interesting! I might not be alone in this after all. As I guess I knew I's not.. :)

In your analysis, you even go one step further than I'd dare, in that you bring your own personal taste and opinions of the specific songs into the argument. As passionate as that move comes through - and I agree with some of it and not with some of it - I personally prefer to stick with the conceptual levels of the discussion, the issue of variation itself on the one hand and of being true to word on the other. Neither of which seem to be Tom's strenght, agreed. He might be a genius in many ways, but he talks cooler than he walks. (But the steps he does take, he takes beautifully, tokeep the analogy going..)

The reason I "judge" the concept -the over tour flow, if you like- rather than the specific song picks themselves, is as follows: If I ask of them to not give a damn about what they are told or what they think, in terms of what's expected from them.. If I ask them, if indeed they mean what they say and truely love to go places with the music, then by all means, cut the c*ap then and go places.. If I do this, it would be rather petty of me (pun?) to tell them what some of those places would be. To me, it's them going that counts. Anywhere. Just move, occasionally. Have a direction already.*

And I think you are right, it all just has got to do with Tom's famed and developed sense of control. But he better watch out before he controls this specifically charming monster all to death.

As for the covers, unlike you I personally think covers have merits in many ways, at best a cover displays the band qualities even more sharply than they own stuff and allow them to shine in various ways. Besides, playing other peoples music is a huge part of the rock'n'roll tradition and just something anyone familiar with the legacy do, I suppose. Furthermore this band is uniquley equiped to whip up some rather amazing stuff in that department. Just that.. and here we go again.. if you are this good, and know this much great music and if you feel so passionately about it that you build part of your image around it, why then, at least sometimes, not aim for something outside the tight little box of standard picks for a change. The whole concept of a cover to refresh the band and the set, is kinda ruined once it becomes a staple that are played more often than many of your own standards. So you wanna be a rock'n'roll star?? Well then, be one!!

Also, if that wasn't quite clear, I agree that the programmed aspects of the gig indeed are bad excuses for not tossing things around a bit more. By bringing it into the equation, I just meant to say that even IF you wanna play it safe and arrange each night according to script, that in itself won't really stop thyou if you really want to shake things up from night to night, and even less if you want to shake them up from tour to tour. But even so.. lights aside, I could at least try to begin to undertand how they want to have the set list down before taking the stage each night. To me the type of request or sudden impulse thing is cool for sure, but I'd say with this band it's way beyond the known limits of the universe. Hence my focus on them putting their hearts to a bit more variation from night to night and from tour to tour. That is, yes, exactly(!!) - act true to their words, their far and widely admitted skills and their outspoken ideals.

But why not play It Ain't Nothing To Me or something...

But wait, what?! That would be like.. dark materia. The mother of all blackouts, making the whole show disappear in a black hole.. if not indeed the whole tour. In my book, NOT playing that one (and maybe one or two other stylish mistakes) would be the only specific thing I'd ever ask of them.

* Over at the "set list requests" thread, I do discuss how comparatively easy it would be to rotate a few songs each nigh, thus achieve flow, variation and excitment with very little effort. Again we reach the conclusion that all that is missing is will. Forgive me for finding it very strange and mysterious in the light of all I ever knew of this band.

Interesting points. Sure, I understand your perspective on the tour, versus getting into specific songs. The way I see it, this forum is an ideal place to get into the minutiae of set lists.  Ha ha, a black hole? Oh no no, It Ain't Nuthin' would be as amazing as Hailey's Comet, just not seen as frequently..!

I just don't see how Mike and Ben don't have some kind of set list veto. He won't tour without them and it's evident that neither one is thrilled with the same set. Of course, as professionals, they do a good job on stage, and play American Girl with vim and vigor but just look at Mike's comments around the l.a. shows. Something like, "We're free of free fallin." I guess it's down to the power of the singer, if he doesn't want to do it, whaddayagonnado? I guess form the Dirty Knobs.

The crowd aren't going home disappointed because they opened with American Girl; as long as a certain number of hits are played, they'll be happy. Why not vary it up, especially if they know some people are seeing multiple shows? Years back I saw the Foo Fighters two nights in a row and the first night was great, the carbon copy second not so much. 

I understand your point about the covers, though I'd still prefer to skip them but I fully agree that if you're going to play them, 'aim outside that box.'

I get that people are excited with the slight variation Tom offers now, a 2 gunslingers here, a rebels there, but look at Pearl Jam. They go through at least 100+ songs on a tour, different set list every night, rarities, requests, jamming, etc.

I don't expect TPATH to play more songs than they're playing, the fact that they are still out there, still playing at a high level and making so many people, happy is great. I just think they can modify the set list approach and make it more exciting not just for people like you or myself but themselves as well. 

Anytime they've done a residency, it appears to recharge them and that's because the sets are different from the standards. Sure, I'd prefer it if they ditched the too-many covers in those appearances too but again, that's not  Tom's style.

I stopped seeing them years ago and am fine with it. I enjoy the live concerts, especially when they do things like change up Saving Grace etc. I'm sure they'll be some stellar performances from this tour, heck, maybe even a one-off live album, so this is really just a fun discussion for me. I'm glad I'm not going to their shows or hoping for a radical change in set lists.

But man, I can go on and on about this topic.

Another point, why aren't they playing even more from the new album? I could see why some of the dreary Echo songs didn't get played, but I really think the crowd will better respond to a new and possibly unfamiliar number if it's upbeat.

Let's hope they never bring back Gloria, with that awful dragged out story Tom used to tell.

Yes. Thank you. Finally.

Like with any once cool and fresh stuff, being left for too long out in the sun will eventually turn it dried out and wrinkled. Sometimes, without proper stimuli, there's also the risk of running senile.

So, if - instead of my usually constructive criticism :) - I should whine some myself, w/r/t covers, I would like to add a few more in need of long rests.. "Mystic Eyes", "Carol" ,"Oh Well", "I'm a Man", "Baby Please Don’t Go", "Handle With Care", Stevie Winwood songs (and, sure.. pretty soon "So You Wanna Be a Rock’n’Roll Star" is on the list too).

All of which are admittedly great songs. If heard once every five or ten years. And furthermore, they are but a tiny pinch of the total salt of the Earth i/t/o songs, and the decades are slowly rolling by. When a song like "Travelin’ Light", "Willin’" or "Steppin’ Stone" suddenly shows up, it’s just absolutely fantastic to me (as long as the rest of the set is largely the same old, such a song could be the very highlight of a show to me!), but part of the allure is the combination of a really great and unique song pick, in a really inspired moment and a song that just may not show up again on the same tour. At least not every single night. Even if TP prefer to play it safe in terms of style and musical origins – like he does - it would be so annoyingly easy for him to throw in a "Louie, Louie" here a "For Your Love", "Dirty Water" or "My Back Pages" there.. "The Weight" or a rare treat like "Get up Jake" would be a perfect match.. or whatever.. bring back "Down Home Girl" or "Gotta Move" sometimes.. (Damn, I'm going all constructive here again...!)

I mean, jeeze.. the sheer possibilities of it makes me Dizzy (..Miss Lizzy). And that is before you even consider trying out something more contemporary for fit. I remember them doing the likes of "Should I Stay, Or Should I Go", "On the Radio" and "Keep Your Hands to Yourself" in the 80s. And as much as would not recommend them to play any of those latter two songs ever again, there is decent music from the 2000s that would fit and be very exciting (Jack White, Ryan Adams, Lucinda Williams, Alabama Shakes.. even good old Bob. Some of latter era Dylan stuff is really strong on paper and would benefit from being "rescued" by TP&TH picking them up and letting them loose live - I can hear them do wonders with songs like "Honest with Me" or "Working Man's Blues #2".)

Besides. Unless you had a huge single hit with a cover song, a song, that is, that has become kinda associated with you, I think it’s even more perverse to develop a whole little narrow set of standard covers, than it is to stuck yourself waist deep in a cast of your own pretty stuff. It's no point wearing anything out, but by all means, wear out your own first. And as far as that logic goes, these guys never even revisit what could be called in-betweens songs, that is their own studio recorded covers ("Crackin’ Up"? "Change The Locks"? "Something in The Air"? anyone?) 

- "Nah, let's do Gloria, shall we. That's a damn fine song".

Let's hope that is history, snooze fest over? 

Nuf said. Rock on!

I think Boise has had the best set list of the tour, by virtue of having Fault LInes played. How did it sound? Did the audience respond to it? I'm surprised that they're not playing it. Two Gunslingers on the same set is a nice little bonus too.

And no Rock-n-Roll star, just You Wreck Me as the opener.

cheers

Ok, so.. what has happened lately? Everyone lost interest in the AMAZING set?

Sorry, should do sarcasm. My bad. But this thread kinda stopped being updated hu? Can't say I blame you, but still.. If not the most shifting and breathtaking statistics - usually never is, right? - I still think it worth while keeping an eye on the list. After all, you never know.

A quick glance give the not totally unexpected, but kinda nice addition of A Woman in Love and the always semi-expected, yet all the more tiresome (speaking of a stale pool of cover picks)..

Anyhow - According to Setlists.fm, here's what's been rolling this last past week.

Winnipeg Aug 21

So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star

Mary Jane's Last Dance

American Dream Plan B

Into the Great Wide Open

Forgotten Man

I Won't Back Down

Free Fallin'

(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone

A Woman in Love (It's Not Me)

U Get Me High

Rebels Play

Willin' Play

Yer So Bad

Learning to Fly

Shadow People

I Should Have Known It

Refugee

Runnin' Down a Dream

Encore:

You Wreck Me

American Girl

Chicago, Aug 23

1. So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star

2. Mary Jane's Last Dance

3. Baby, Please Don't Go

4. American Dream Plan B

5. Into the Great Wide Open

6. Forgotten Man

7. I Won't Back Down

8. Free Fallin'

9. A Woman in Love (It's Not Me)

10. U Get Me High

11. Rebels

12. Angel Dream (No. 2)

13. Yer So Bad

14. Learning to Fly

15. Shadow People

16. I Should Have Known It

17. Refugee

18. Runnin' Down a Dream

Encore:

19. You Wreck Me Play Video

20. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone

21. American Girl

Clarkston, 24 Aug

1. So You Want to Be a Rock 'n' Roll Star

2. Mary Jane's Last Dance

3. American Dream Plan B

4. Into the Great Wide Open

5. Forgotten Man

6. I Won't Back Down

7. Free Fallin'

8. Spike

9. A Woman in Love (It's Not Me)

10. U Get Me High

11. Rebels

12. I've Got a Woman

13. Yer So Bad

14. Learning to Fly

15. Shadow People

16. I Should Have Known It

17. Refugee

18. Runnin' Down a Dream

Encore:

19. You Wreck Me

20. (I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone

21. American Girl

Must say.. looks like at least they found a pretty cool trio for an encore - smart move to put Stepping Stone there - all in all, a high energy note to end on..

I was just checking in to see if this thread had been updated with the new sets with the intention of doing it if they hadn't be added  :D Thanks for keeping up with it!

I agree with some of the "tired" songs on the setlists over the years (well, I guess especially the last 10 years probably?) but like I said in my Clarkston post, I do understand why they do it.  I would love to see more songs like "Willin'", "Two Gunslingers" (I really had my fingers crossed we'd get this in Clarkston, but we got "Spike" SO I CAN DEAL I GUESS) or man even more recent I'd love to see "Something Good Coming" hitting some setlists again. Or anything from "The Last DJ", which sometimes I feel like is rather forgotten, which is a shame.

Actually, want to do an all-acoustic (or "stripped down") set? That would make me soooo happy.

But, it's not going to make the majority of ticket buyers happy, and (I agree it sucks) but that is who is making them the majority of their sales (and their money) and that is who they are pretty much bound to play for.  I'd be stoked to not have the following on a setlist anymore: American Girl, Free Fallin' (I'm literally one of the only people, I think, that could live without this song. Like, forever. It's good, but I think overrated and way overplayed), Refugee, Runnin' Down a Dream, I Won't Back Down, Don't Come Around Here No More, You Wreck Me, and Mary Jane's Last Dance.

But a Tom Petty concert without those songs? Without "American Girl"? I honestly can't believe the band can really enjoy playing that song every single set for, like, ever--they play it because if there are, say, 1500 people in front them, 1300 are absolutely STOKED to hear it.  It is what it is, I accept it, and I go into these shows knowing I'm going to hear them. It doesn't make the experience any less exciting or worthwhile or leave me feeling disappointed in any way. And if the crowd has energy and keeps the band energized, they perform better and the shows are better. If that's what it takes, I'm willing to let myself enjoy it (and belt out the lyrics at the top of my lungs along with everyone else).  

Some more rotation in the other songs, the "deep cuts" and covers would be nice, though, for sure. The acoustic version of "Learning to Fly", for instance, has been played at the last 4 shows I've been to, and is pretty much becoming expected.  But I've also gotten "The Best Of Everything", "Spike", "(I'm Not Your) Steppin' Stone", "Melinda" (which is a favorite of mine) and "Oh Well" (another favorite).  

So, I focus on that more than lamenting all the tracks I'd want to hear or changes I wish they made, because while different additions like "To Find a Friend" and "Willin'" or man even "Ain't No Sunshine" pop up here and there, I just look at them as special bonuses.

I enjoy "So You Want To Be A Rock n Roll Star" as the opener, I was actually glad to see that return! and I like "You Wreck Me" in the encore, personally, would like to see "Jammin' Me" back as opener instead of "You Wreck Me"!

I also always enjoyed "Gloria" and Tom's silliness in it! Maybe it's because the Fillmore show I had on cassette was so amazing to me at the time, and I've just never gotten past that way-younger-me being enamored with the man on that recording  :lol:

Just my two cents on the issue! :)  I can't wait to see what shows up on Montreal's setlist!