Boxcar Trev

2014 Tour Setlists

Eugene:

Encore:

19.  You Wreck Me

20.  American Girl

^ I remember once in Reno at an outdoor venue they only did one encore song and it was because of the curfew. Maybe that's why for SF. I'm liking these set lists a lot!! I'm crossing my fingers for Spike and Rebels at my show!

Thanks for starting this thread, Trev!

Good to see them mixing up the set, by changing one or two songs around each night. I wouldn't say they expand on the grand variation type thinking, exactly. But at least they don't turn their backs on recent tour's vague tendencies in such direction. Maybe my initial reaction to the first night .- that it looked like last tour with the new material added for icing, was a bit harsh.

Speaking as someone who has just seen them 6 times (thus my brain is not yet quite numb from the repetition factor at work), I'd say these shows look really amazing, actually serve up one or two not totally standard treats and adds the exciting new stuff to that. They roll with a fairly high percentage of personal favorites in the dynamic part of the set too, so it's a bummer I can't catch them this year. That's what I thought last year too, btw.

Still of course, speaking as a true deep down music fan, I still really would prefer it if a larger part of the set was dynamic and a lesser part was chiseled in stone. Of course, I realize too much variation might be mathematically impossible as long as they keep playing generously from the new album and at the same time insist on never ever leaving more than one of the very greatest Greatest Hits out, at a time. (Most commonly they arrive at the conclusion that they'd better keep all of them, always.) To me, not suprisingly, that is a shame. Since just rotating one or two more of those ultra classics in and out each night, allowing for one or two other gems to be rotated in, and for one or two surprise cover picks (instead of mostly stock picks), would change this set from a really good one to an outstandingly fantastic and exciting one! That would unleash the force in a way not quite possible as of now. Them being tied to playing Runnin' Down a Dream and I Won't Back Down all the time, to me it's like seeing a beautiful animal kept in a cage. Not to speak of how hard it makes taking the lyrics to those same songs serious. I never thought standing one's ground was literally meant to be understood as just staying put..

Still, I realize it could be worse.. (They could suddenly skip one or two of the new songs, they could change one or two of the semi-deep tracks for more hits and they could bring the likes of Mystic Eye, I'm a Man, Carol or Gloria back for covers.) So, while not quite optimal, they walk a decent path right now. Especially since it seems like last few tours were no flukes in terms of groove - it's now heavier, better and greater than ever from what I've heard of it. Just like last year made the Mojo tour sound a wee bit thin, 2014 makes 2013 step down a notch. It's amazing to hear, really. Only, to me this level musicianship just begs to be tried out on a few more deep tracks and various stuff. Let go of the banister. Let the it all hang out!!

Now, keep those lists coming and I keep hoping for more songs to show up, for more dreams to be running down.. Because running round and round in the same.. isn't that what you'd call a nightmare?

^Trade I Won't Back Down for Fault Lines and it would be perfect! A girl can dream, right? However they want to do it, I would LOVE Fault Lines tonight at the Gorge! Fingers crossed, sign made. Rock N Roll here I come!