Sign in to follow this  
WreckMeBaby

Kimmel Live Tpath Wednesday

I have a friend who lives nearby the studio and he wants to walk up and at least hear the band. I think they will be playing in the lot outside for the summer series concerts... anyone know when the taping is?

Three songs! Felt like I was at a live show there, right in my own living room. And what was the first guitar Mike played??  An old SG!  What a kick to see and hear the guys, and dang but they are one tight band - Steve, Ron, Benmont and his cool hat, aren't they sumthin' special.  Hey, I think any worries about Tom's left hand can be laid to rest for awhile... did a solo there, he did, and while I see a bit of a change in the hand, he still hit those notes strong and true.  I confess I do love this new album all to pieces - can't hear 'All You Can Carry' just once, gotta hit repeat a couple of times.  Such an inspiration to me, such an encouragement to hear this new album.

I can't afford to travel to see a live show on this tour and hold out hope for an addition of Atlanta or at least Birmingham to the schedule.  If they do any more TV shows like Kimmel, I can be pretty happy just watching the band in action via the Hypnotic Eye itself.

Susan

Yeah, Mike was playing a '61 Les Paul SG with Maestro vibrato with Lyre-engraved tailpiece. George Harrison brought that guitar to the forefront around 1965 in the video for "Paperback Writer". After that everyone wanted one and it's still popular today. Gibson actually has that model for sale today called the "Derek Trucks" model, only cuz George wouldn't endorse any guitars with his name on it.

Great performance of Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers:   American Dream Plan B, Forgotten Man & U Get Me High

Where is Kimmel coming from?  

"It's like the worst dream come true ever, right?"

[Re Side 4 etching]   "Did you do it yourself?"  (Tom) "No.... I just play man.  I don't do anything else."

I was really stoked to see how much room they gave Ron Blair to play in Forgotten Man and U Get Me High. 

He's doing those inventive melodic lines, and lots of stuff up the neck, like he did in the earlier days. 

I dont think he gets enough credit for the sound and the groove that made the Heartbreakers so great back in the earlier day (along with Lynch)

I think Petty really push the bass to the back starting when he was cutting his solo records, and Howie was a great player but more of an understated root and fifth guy.  Blair is more of a rock bass guitar player.  Both great, but way different styles.

One of the reasons why this record sounds like 1979 might be because they've let Blair loose a little more and its a rock record.

I'm stoked, new Campbell and Blair licks to learn!