Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Southern Accents: What Songs Would You Have Omitted/Included?

Here's my choice:

1. Rebels

2. Surrender

3. Nowhere

4. Don't Come Around Here No More

5. Southern Accents

6. Dog On The Run

7. Keeping Me Alive

8. Ways To Be Wicked

9. Dogs On The Run

10. The Best Of Everything

omit:  Mary's New Car, Spike, Make It Better, It Ain't Nothin' To Me

I can't imagine redoing Southern Accents and leaving off "Trailer."

All the songs you picked are excellent songs, but I don't think they were in the running for the album. "Nowhere", for example, was an 8-year-old outtake they probably didn't even remember by that point. When I think of reorganizing tracks for albums, (which I admit I nerdily like to do for HBs albums), I limit myself to songs that were from that era/those sessions.

I'm old fashioned, if you write 15 songs, put 15 on the album, unless 1 or 2 are really bad. Where did this thing of 8 or 10 songs make an album come from? Other than touring a few months for the LP, what are these guys doing for the next 5-10 years til they decide to make a new album? Writing I hope, and after that amount of time they should put out triple albums, God knows they had enough time. I worked hard all of my life just like these guys, but I was never rewarded a 5 year vacation after completing a job. AND I was never paid the amount rock stars make. I'm not complaining, thank God for the music these guys make, without it, the world would be a much worse place. I just think that whatever is recorded should be released (good or bad) and then we wouldn't be talking or wishing about what should be where or waiting to find hidden gems. Nothing important, just my 2 cents.

I worked hard all of my life just like these guys, but I was never rewarded a 5 year vacation after completing a job. AND I was never paid the amount rock stars make.

Come on, Nurk, these are some of the hardest working guys in the business. They don't exactly sit around twiddling their thumbs between albums. They're touring, writing, creating, doing side projects in support of other artists, and hopefully, having a bit of a private life.

It can take a long time to write and properly arrange a great song.  There's a lot of trial and error.  

Tom Petty has maintained a level of quality in his songwriting over the years that few have matched.

He wrote five of his biggest hits -- "Free Fallin'" "Runnin' Down A Dream," "I Won't Back Down," "Mary Jane's Last Dance," and "You Got It" (with Roy Orbison) -- some 15 years into his career.  That is something very few have equalled.

I think an important job of a record producer is to explore and unearth every unreleased song--no matter how old--written by the artist with whom he or she is working.  

It is on that theory that I list the ten songs above that I would have put on Southern Accents, a set of material that I think would have formed one of Petty's best albums.

As it happened, I think the album had four weak songs, which is a shame considering how many good unreleased songs Petty had in his hip pocket.

I just think that whatever is recorded should be released (good or bad) and then we wouldn't be talking or wishing about what should be where or waiting to find hidden gems.

That's an interesting theory, Nurk! And although I must say that you've got a point here, with music it's always the same: What you leave out is just as important as what you leave in. That goes for playing and arranging and also putting an album together. I'm glad they don't put every recorded song on every album. Imagine how long "Wildflowers" would be! I like it when I can listen to a record in one session and still pay the same attention to the last song as I paid to the first. But that's just my take on this.

I DEFINITELY would throw out It Ain't Nothing To Me from Southern Accents, and I'm not too crazy about Mary's New Car either. Trailer and Keeping Me Alive would have fit in nicely, I think.

As much as Southern Accents had theoretical potential to be among the top albums in the TPATH catalogue, the song selection and production at large kinda killed it IMO. Still, I find the era deeply fascinating and more often than hearing the album from start to finish I spend 30 minutes watching this old thing, to get into the groove:

Standard viewing to TP fans ever since. Leave it to 1985 to combine the sort of wonderfully gritty and down home, rough photage and interviews with the highly superficial sounds and elaborately stylish videos of the time. It's all very space age and medieval at the same time. Makes me kinda miss the 80s. But not really.

If you compare the drum sound on the Pack Up The Plantation film to the drum sound on Southern Accents, you can see how hey went a little wrong in the recording process.