Sign in to follow this  
Ben

Scott Thurston

Greetings one and all.

Does anyone know for certain whether Scott Thurston toured with the Heartbreakers in 1990?  

Though Howie Epstein largely blocks him out, one can see a sixth person performing in the band (next to Stan Lynch, perhaps playing keyboard bass) during this 1990 appearance on Letterman:  

It looks as though that person might be Scott.  

At 2:46 you see Scott very clearly. I remember they were practically hiding him on the Take The Highway live video. Which at the time kind of bugged me, I remember thinking to myself "who the heck is this guy and why isn't he a Heartbreaker?!!?" :lol:

Top Metty at his peak IMO and slowly downhill from here.

Die-Hard Fan, practice slide, it is difficult at first but becomes

a lot easier after a few hours as your touch rapidly improves.

^^ LOL Jay, where did you come up with a FEW hours of practice teaches you slide guitar?? Listen to George Harrison and then get back to your practice room for a couple decades!!!!!

George Harrison had his own style of course, but basic slide is not that difficult

to master thats why you see a lot of guitarists adapt to slide quite easily. It is

certainly easier than some guitar styles.

Tune your guitar to open G raise the action get a glass or metal slide

and slip slide away :)

Okay so it is Scott.  So then my question then is:  Which tour was his first with Petty?  I know he toured with Jackson Browne in 1989 and 1990, as per the following:

http://www.ghostsontheroad.co.uk/JB/1989.html

http://www.ghostsontheroad.co.uk/JB/1990.html

I saw the 1990 Jackson tour -- which was brilliant.  I think it's Scott with Jackson here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLd76ZXGDO4

I have a a cassette from that tour, which I'm converting to CD.  Scott sang really well with Jackson, as he does with Tom.  I think he's even better than Howie as a backing vocalist, as evidenced by "Like A Diamond" from Disc 5 of the live box set, and by the 30th Anniversary version of "Southern Accents."

Top Metty at his peak IMO and slowly downhill from here.

Die-Hard Fan, practice slide, it is difficult at first but becomes

a lot easier after a few hours as your touch rapidly improves.

Gonna have to disagree with this one. Some of the later songs are my favorites of all time... Last DJ; oh man, Highway Companion too.

Can't go wrong there. And don't get me started on Mojo. What a badass album.

I'm just gonna go ahead and list my favorite songs post-'91. (* means it's in my all-time top 20).

-Time to Move On*

-It's Good to be King

-Crawling Back to You

-Walls (live)*

-Grew Up Fast

-California

-Room at the Top

-Lonesome Sundown*

-Swingin'

-One More Day, One More Night

-Blue Sunday

-Have Love, Will Travel*

-You and Me

-Can't Stop the Sun

-Flirting with Time*

-Down South

-Damaged by Love

-Home

-This Old Town

-Good Enough

-Trip to Pirate's Cove

-US 41*

As far as I'm concerned, there isn't an up-hill or a down-hill...

Their music is a mountain and everything they make just makes it larger and larger until it's reaching the clouds and you can climb it all the way to Heaven. :)

To be honest, I love every song they've ever made, but Into the Great Wide Open is not in my "top five favorite TP albums."

I don't mean to derail the thread. I love Scott. He's an amazing musician. Duckhead, they call him! He was a cutie.

9asaif.jpg

Okay so it is Scott.  So then my question then is:  Which tour was his first with Petty?  I know he toured with Jackson Browne in 1989 and 1990, as per the following:

http://www.ghostsontheroad.co.uk/JB/1989.html

http://www.ghostsontheroad.co.uk/JB/1990.html

I saw the 1990 Jackson tour -- which was brilliant.  I think it's Scott with Jackson here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLd76ZXGDO4

I have a a cassette from that tour, which I'm converting to CD.  Scott sang really well with Jackson, as he does with Tom.  I think he's even better than Howie as a backing vocalist, as evidenced by "Like A Diamond" from Disc 5 of the live box set, and by the 30th Anniversary version of "Southern Accents."

Scott really is a great backing vocalist. I can't say he's better than Howie, but he's pretty close. I remember when Howie was fired in 2002, my first thought was that they could cover the bass pretty easily but the backing vocals would suffer. In terms of live performances, Scott really surprised me with how well he sang and blended with Tom's voice.

Check out Scott on "Like a Diamond."  He sounds like a Beach Boy.  

And on the 30th Anniversary version of "Southern Accents" during that part about the orange groves not freezing.  Man he is just one of the best.  

Check him out here, again with Jackson.  These are astounding backing vocals:  

Jackson's 1990 tour featured Jackson, Scott, and percussionist Debra Dobkin.  

Scott sang amazing backing vocals and played everything (piano, guitar, plus lap steel, pedal steel, or both).  

I'm trying to get my tape from that tour converted to CD.  I used to have a VHS from a benefit they did that year but it's sadly lost, at least for now.  

It was a great three-piece band and Scott was a monster, both instrumentally and with backing vocals.

Might be Jackson's best tour ever.

From what I can tell he went from the Stooges, to the Motels, to Jackson Browne, to the Heartbreakers (am I wrong, or missing anything?).  

Don't know how Stan knew him, but Stan played on a Jackson Browne's song "Shape Of A Heart," recorded shortly before Scott joined Jackson's band.  So maybe Stan met Scott through Jackson, or maybe Jackson, like Tom, met Scott through Stan.

The funny thing is that Scott was in the Motels and, as seen in "Running Down A Dream" and "Damn The Torpedoes Classic Albums," Jimmy Iovine--after a spat with Stan Lynch--threatens, "Okay now your record is going to sound like the Motels."

What is interesting is that, as good as Scott is at backing vocals in concert, Tom really doesn't use him on studio albums that much. It seems like Tom really likes to harmonize with Jeff Lynne and Tom Leadon in the studio for new songs. Then, when he came back to the Heartbreakers for Mojo, there were exactly zero backing vocals from anyone. Maybe it was a one-time stylized thing for that particular blues album. I wonder if Scott sang at all on Hypnotic Eye.

I'm not gonna answer the q either.. Cause I can't. Too me, suddenly there he was.. like a shadow, making Howie sound even more like a genius than he already was. To me that was not really needed in terms of harmonies, but with Howie gone, Scott has stepped in and reshaped the sound a little bit and in doing so helped saving the awesomeness, carefully taking the band in new directions, moving on.

While I can't say where and when he suddenly appeared on Stan's left hand side for the first time, I will say that for those interested in Scott's early days, he is mentioned a couple times in the Iggy Pop book "Open up and bleed" by Paul Trynka. Not a book for the faint hearted..