Sign in to follow this  
Farmer101

Will Tom Petty's New Album Hypnotic Eye be a Mainstream Hit?

If the album isn't a hit I'm sure it won't be because of the quality of the music. Publicity is key I think. In the UK at least if Tom were to perform at, say, Glastonbury or similar or appear on TV then the album could be big.

Going to have to come out with a "catchy" (or dare I say corny) hook  to be mainstream combined with the right promoting from management. Not sure if Tom has it in him. Lately it has been more folksy/bluesy/rock stuff.

No. You pretty much have to be young to be played on mainstream radio. They don't play classic rockers' new music. And classic rock stations mostly play the old classic hits, not new music. Only a really cool, niche station would play Tom's new songs, I'm thinking. We don't have a station like that here in Milwaukee. Fans will buy the new album, but most music buyers won't, I'm afraid.

No. You pretty much have to be young to be played on mainstream radio. They don't play classic rockers' new music. And classic rock stations mostly play the old classic hits, not new music. Only a really cool, niche station would play Tom's new songs, I'm thinking. We don't have a station like that here in Milwaukee. Fans will buy the new album, but most music buyers won't, I'm afraid.

how did it happen in the 90s then? have times changed?

It is sad that MTV and VH1 have forgotten why they were created.  I don't know if the classic rock station in Roanoke will play anything from the new album or not.  They basically like the Heartbreakers. and they play at lot of their songs.  When Mojo came out, I seem to recall them playing I Shouldn't Have Known It quite often for a while.  When Grrr came out by The Rolling Stones, they played Doom  and Gloom a lot.  It may depend on the program director at your Classic Rock Station.  Hopefully our local station has the same program director, and they will play something from the new album.

Edited by HeartbreakerFan

I think that at least in Germany the mainstream sound is too different from Tom's. The album will be, I think, an insider phenomenon, something that only music lovers will discover. Even if the HBs do a tour behind it, the album is not going to be recognized by a wider audience. But if they create a really outstanding video and get it on youtube, they might stand a chance outside the US. Otherwise I don't see how the album could even get close to the mainstream here.

I'm quite sure German music critics and magazines are gonna love the album, high ratings and a few articles, some radio stations and tv culture magazines are gonna feature it, but for German mainstream radio the whole country blues rock'n'roll genre is too dusty ;)

Yes a new video would be great. They should take an amazing unknown, short story and create a video that tells it.

Yep, e.g. the new Coldplay video is very beautiful, something like that would fit with Tom's music, too (although the song doesn't touch me at all, fastest forgotten Coldplay song so far).

I'm not really sure whether a mainstream hit would be something to wish for. Tom & co. do not need the money and they don't need the critical praise. They already got both in the past (altough I'm sure Hypnotic Eye will get some really good reviews). It would be great and important for younger bands that deserve the name to have mainstream success. But even for them it's difficult because there are so many different styles, internet radio stations and subcultures that "the mainstream" simply has become the lowest common denominator. At least that's how I see it.

NO, I don't see a commercial hit. Young people changed that years ago. YES, YOU!!! You left radio and the old times and started something new that only costs you more money EVERYTIME you want a new song! How is that Great????

what are you talking about?

Most of the young people I know listen to pop music and dance music.  They may know rock music from their parents, and even like it, but they don't buy it or listen to it on their own.  They also buy more songs than full albums.

NO, I don't see a commercial hit. Young people changed that years ago. YES, YOU!!! You left radio and the old times and started something new that only costs you more money EVERYTIME you want a new song! How is that Great????

I work in radio. Actually, radio changed drastically with the Telecommunications Act of 1996. Music formats are controlled by an oligopoly, which means only and handful of major companies (for example ClearChannel) control what you hear on the radio. Basically, with the deregulation of the radio industry it extremely limited diversity in what music we can play. These companies rarely stray from the their format playlists so you end up hearing the same songs over and over again. Even though TPATH is a established group the chance of their new album being spun on a regular basis is not going to happen, unless the station's PD or MD is a fan and puts it into rotation. 

Young people really didn't change anything...it was advent of the internet, other technologies and the government that did. Also PPM, boo to that!

I think Tom has gone the route of many of musical heroes.  He'll always  have his fans that will buy every new CD ( just like The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, The Beach Boys, Dylan, etc.)..but to have a major hit, you never know .  Just look at the last Beach Boys CD, a bigger hit then they had for years, and a surprise one at that.  I think Tom will have another big hit, just not sure if it'll be this one, you just never know.

I know that satellite radio is too expensive and it irks me to have to pay for it but they really play everything on those stations. I love my Sirius/XM!

When are they going to release this album! Let it go already!