Farmer101

Where are the younger fans?

I don't know what it's like in the U.S., but in Germany (Europe?) I feel there are hardly any younger fans than me. And I'm 34, so I'm one of those who came on board in the nineties albeit prior to Wildflowers. Into The Great Wide Open did it for me.

Thinking back on the Mannheim concert in 2012, though, I remember seeing a lot of fans who could not have been older than 30. But does that count as "younger"?

I'm 20 and I'm a huge fan of the band. I like rock 'n' roll in general. My parents like a lot of songs by the band but they're not ardent fans...I got into the band through curiosity. George has been my favorite Beatle for a long time and through learning about him, my interest in Tom sparked. I feel there are a lot of kids out there who like a lot of songs by Tom, even if they don't know much about him or the band.

My college roommate from my freshman year liked Tom's songs a lot but was mainly only familiar with the hits (she had Full Moon Fever in her car though), but oddly most of the music on her iPod was modern pop.

I check out a Tom Petty-themed tumblr blog sometimes, and it's run by a young woman who's a little younger than me. Her love for the band is deep and pure...it makes me feel good to know I'm not alone.   :)

I just turned 19. Been a fan since I was 14. I have about 6 or so friends on Facebook under 25 who are big fans as well.
My TP fangroup on facebook has a lot of younger fans, actually. I just think they aren't into forums anymore.
As for me, I still love the forum format. :)
Thanks for asking though.

I do notice a lot of young fans at the concerts.

But probably not as die-hard, into TP information, fan club types like me. Haha.

Edited by Liberty

I'm nearly 18 and I'm a fan for 3 years. I was watching VH1 European and "Into The Great Wide Open" was on. My dad said that he knows this video from his VHS but he doesn't remember, who performs it. After I found out, what's the name of the band, I checked Tom and boys on YouTube. And here my journey with Heatbreakers starts...

I've seen the band twice on VH1, last time in September 2012. There's another channel, it plays "Learning To Fly" from time to time (everytime I'm like "OMG! Turn up the volume!"). I've never heard TP&TH in polish radio and I know only two fans from Poland. Never seen them in reality.

So... thank God for the Internet. :)

Edited by Szafira

I'm nearly 18 and I'm a fan for 3 years. I was watching VH1 European and "Into The Great Wide Open" was on. My dad said that he knows this video from his VHS but he doesn't remember, who performs it. After I found out, what's the name of the band, I checked Tom and boys on YouTube. And here my journey with Heatbreakers starts...

I've seen the band twice on VH1, last time in September 2012. There's another channel, it plays "Learning To Fly" from time to time (everytime I'm like "OMG! Turn up the volume!"). I've never heard TP&TH in polish radio and I know only two fans from Poland. Never seen them in reality.

So... thank God for the Internet. :)

^ Wow, I love your story Szafira! I hope you get to see them in reality someday.

I´m 25 and I´ve loved TPATH since I was 18. Due to this farm I learnt more and more about them cause I´m from Argentina and it was weird to hear about them around here. Fortunately things have changed in these seven years and I´m getting to know more fans.

TPATH will always be my favorite band, it´s hard to explain how much they mean to me!

I´m 25 and I´ve loved TPATH since I was 18. Due to this farm I learnt more and more about them cause I´m from Argentina and it was weird to hear about them around here. Fortunately things have changed in these seven years and I´m getting to know more fans.

TPATH will always be my favorite band, it´s hard to explain how much they mean to me!

had a chance to see the band live?

I'm 30 but I've been a fan since I was 17 at most; ever since I first heard the Wilburys (whenever that was). I think what appealed to me about Tom and TPATH at that age was that they seemed to have a style that wasn't old-fashioned even though they are what you'd call a "classic" rock band.

That may be exactly it! To me they never sounded old-fashioned but had a very unique style and sound that simply sounded timeless. But it's great to see that we're not necessarily an endangered species and that even today there are younger fans discovering the band.

Not yet :(  but I´m sure that´s going to happen someday

I'm 19, gonna be 20 in less than a month! I've noticed TP's music in the background all my life, but I didn't really become a superfan until last October (and I regret not getting into his music sooner IMMENSELY!). 

This forum has been an incredible discovery for me. I know all the songs from all the official albums, and I've seen plenty of live videos and documentaries, but I had no idea how much else was out there in terms of bootlegs, interviews, and all of Tom's Sirius shows (I knew about BT, but not Tom Talks to Cool People). I'm glad a place like this exists; it's been really helpful for this young fan who just wants to know all she can know! 😁

On 3/17/2014 at 10:59 AM, LouisianaRain said:

I check out a Tom Petty-themed tumblr blog sometimes, and it's run by a young woman who's a little younger than me. Her love for the band is deep and pure...it makes me feel good to know I'm not alone.   :)

On another note, I also run a TP Tumblr if anyone around these parts still checks those out! My username is under-them-skies-of-blue (just like on here 🤣)!

I'm now in my mid 30s (how the heck did THAT happen?! LOL) but when I was in high school, there were A LOT of TP fans. The Greatest Hits album (the one with the circular picture on the red background) was the only thing that everyone could agree on to listen to in my art class. In other words, once someone put that CD in the stereo, it stayed in! With other CDs, someone (another student) would go and change it after 1-3 songs. Or a mini-argument would start. 

Glad to see some Zers have picked up on this wonderful band with a wonderful legacy. 😎