Sign in to follow this  
Mudcrutch

Tom Petty 2014 Tour – What to Expect

Posted Image

As we head into Spring with a new Tom Petty album and tour looming, we have come to see a cycle over the years of how information gets announced. Let’s recap what we will probably encounter. Please remember, this is just based on history and not necessarily what WILL happen this time around.

• New album gets announced. Title, track listing, and album art released. Exclusive Best Buy CD/Vinyl details confirmed.
  • Tour details leak through various venues possibly before album info hits.
  • Large festivals announce Tom Petty headliner before official tour announcement.
  • Official tour announcement hits with most dates/locations.
We have to predict they will do a North American tour at amphitheater venues mainly. Small, intimate shows might be mixed like past tours. They will not tour Europe this year.

So what do you think? How will the 2014 tour go?

Click here to view the article

Well from past experience:

1. Some venues will be announced (but not on TP.com). Then some will be announced on TP.com. Then some venues may change even after tickets are sold.

2. The announcement for fan club packages will not reach all of the fan club members since there will be confusion on who was a member before what date. A lot of discussion will occur and finally some "A" and "B" groups will be chosen.

3. Regardless of whether you are in group "A" or "B", you will not get any tickets anywhere near the stage in the fan club purchase without paying premium price (for a chance at tickets anywhere from row 1 to 20 on the floor).

4. All the fan club members swear they will never go through the ticket drama again (but we always do it anyway)...because we love the band. :)

New HCC membership package is announced which includes downloads of live shows from the residencies last tour. The price stays the same, and no shipping costs.

New Album is announced with track previews for HCC members.

2014 Tour is announced with dates all over the USA and Canada, including a one-week residency in Chicago.

(I'm an eternal optimist.)

I used to be an optimist too! Experience has taught me not to jump to conclusions that it will be that easy. Besides, what would be a tour without hope, excitement, disappointment, drama, excitement again and pure joy when you finally see friends and the band???? What else in your life makes you feel that many emotions in a short span of time?

Considering that we have entered March and don;t yet have any announcement from tompetty.com, it's looking like NO tour in 2014  :(

Hope I'm wrong, but that's how it is looking to me so far.

Jim (Indian who shot out the lights)

^Jim, I'm hoping everything got pushed back to later this month, when the new fanclub package and new message boards are rolled out. I think because finishing the album took longer than originally planned, things are all happening a bit later. I just can't believe they would release a new album and not tour. I'm hoping anyway.

I'm hoping, too. Two tours have happened with them coming nowhere near NC, but I still renewed my HCC membership hoping that dates would be added, for a T-shirt and whiskey glasses I don't need. I didn't even use the store coupon this last time. But I'm not complaining, just hoping they come this way this time!

Sent from my GT-P3113 using Tapatalk

is the fan club worth it?

It's certainly debatable. I say, yes it is, but I know of others here who disagree. I get better seats through the fan club, and sometimes free tickets through fan club contests. I use the message boards on TP.com, listen to Buried Treasure on the website, and really enjoyed Mike's Guitar Series only available to HCC members. I'm excited to see what they'll be offering us in the immediate future. They are promising that "something good's coming!"

It's certainly debatable. I say, yes it is, but I know of others here who disagree. I get better seats through the fan club, and sometimes free tickets through fan club contests. I use the message boards on TP.com, listen to Buried Treasure on the website, and really enjoyed Mike's Guitar Series only available to HCC members. I'm excited to see what they'll be offering us in the immediate future. They are promising that "something good's coming!"

I won't agree or disagree... just mention that I haven't been a member for quite a while and haven't felt like I have needed to join.

Now if they tour near me this time around and they guarantee members get first crack at tickets I will probably rejoin.

4. All the fan club members swear they will never go through the ticket drama again (but we always do it anyway)...because we love the band. :)

Well. I for one both said so and did so. Of course, this year it's too easy sticking to word since I'm in Europe anyway :) If I was in north america I probably wouldn't be so sure of myself, swallowing my pride and getting ready to take more passive abuse and praise them for it. Seriously, it's sad (offensive even) the previous contempt and incompetence shown so regularly by the office section of this band. Swag, delay, run arounds, air, gas and more delay. Good thing the band themselves keep on delivering top notch and being cool dudes. 2014 is New Album year and that is.. good enough, as it were. Did someone say the waiting is the hardest part?! In the meantime I think I better go get myself clinically hypnotized into not being too sick with envy of the good old HCC mayhem about to break loose. Any day now. Oh, the horror!

I didn't get to go the last two tours--had tickets and date changed to a date on which I couldn't go and the other tour had no venues or dates convenient.  I can't remember anything but the stress when trying to get tickets through the HCC before, and my poor memory does not remember how it works.  I have renewed my membership to HCC so????  Do you go through tompetty.com, or is it through Ticketmaster and you have to keep putting in an access code the HCC sends you?  I remember going through the access code thing for Alison Krausse/Robert Plant tickets which was so nerve wracking a several years back and Ticketmaster messing up several times, but somehow I did end up with 4th row seats.  It will be my luck they will hold a meeting for all employees at 10:00 a.m. on May 27. 

^ A few minutes before the tickets go on sale, go to the TP.com Tours page and click on Buy Tickets by the concert you want to attend. That will take you to a ticket-buying site, commonly, Ticketmaster. I check Ticketmaster ahead of time to set up or check my account information and check prices and venue maps, etc. On the morning of the sale, when I've clicked on Buy Tickets and gone to Ticketmaster, I keep refreshing the page until it tells me tickets are available. Choose presale tickets for fanclub (regular or VIP), and then it will ask for your code that you should get today by email.

It's an adrenaline pumper for me, but I always get better seats from the fanclub, and I've been happy and excited once the buy is over! Good Luck!

Man I hope they add some European shows in fall or spring. I am so jealous I'm green! Live this band has continued to top themselves in groove and intensity at a break neck rate in the 2000s. (Quite an acievement that, considering how awesome they were even before.) There is some bad *ss rock'n'roll to be expected.

So, I sincerely hope you all get lucky hunting tickets, though I know the fear and loathing (to quote a phrase) it all implicates these days. The Premium package even include "Exclusive Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Survival Kit", I noticed. Hm.. I wonder.. is it gonna be a rough ride? Or do they merely refer to all of us surviving the transition from being respected fans into disposable customers. Well.. not to sound ungrateful, but coming from these mad peddlers, the message is rather mixed, wouldn't you say..

That said. No matter the row, have a rocking summer!