Sign in to follow this  
fanfan

RollingStone.de: New Tom Petty album in October 2013

According to a gallery on RollingStone.de of the albums still to come this year, Tom Petty is going to release the follow-up record to Mojo in October 2013!

Few details are given:

- release Oct '13

- produced by Tom Petty himself and Mike Campbell ("because I am too old to get used to a producer" ;) )

- the songs are based on "the American tradition" (?)(while Mojo was blues and laid-back West Coast rock)

No mention if it's going to be an album under the name of TP alone or one by TP & The Heartbreakers.

The bits are in this gallery, entry 18 - 21:

http://www.rollingstone.de/magazin/galerien/article445326/das-beste-kommt-noch-die-2-halbzeit-2013.html

Are you excited?! :eek:

Google translate says it's an October release but I'm a skeptic... For Mojo there was an official announcement in February for a June release, 4 months in advance. For an October release I'd would think there would have already been an official announcement. I hope I'm wrong.

A cross between Damn The Torpedoes and Wildflowers sounds very interesting. I can't wait! :003:

Yes, Marion! As much as I enjoy Mojo, I would like an album with more straight up, rock 'n' roll like some of the older albums! I'm excited no matter when the album comes out! I love that they're recording live takes, rather than using overdubs, etc. It gives the music such an immediacy!

So I was curious about the translation of the German article... Here's the original:

Ich bin zu alt, um noch mit einem Produzenten zu arbeiten“, sagt Tom Petty, weshalb er höchstselbst mit Mike Campbell das neue Album betreut. Nachdem die letzte Platte, „Mojo“, von Blues und entspanntem Westcoast-Rock geprägt war, sollen nun auch die neuen Songs auf die amerikanische Tradition zurückgreifen.

Überhaupt langweilt sich Petty, der in den USA auf Tournee ist, mit seinen wohlbekannten Stücken. ,,Ich habe viele gute Songs geschrieben, die nicht als Singles veröffentlicht wurden“, sagt er – und nennt ,,Nightwatchman“ und ,,When The Time Comes“.

Wir fühlen uns dazu verpflichtet, die bekannten Songs zu spielen, weil die Konzertkarten so teuer sind – aber ich möchte dennoch nicht bloß das bringen, was die Leute erwarten.“

Die Zusammenarbeit mit seinem Gitarristen Mike Campbell ist so eng wie eh und je. "Man sieht nicht viele 60-Jährige mit Dreadlocks", scherzt Petty. ,,Unser Job befördert nicht gerade das Erwachsenwerden. Vielleicht sollten wir es aber mal in Erwägung ziehen.“ Das neue Album mit den Heartbreakers soll im Oktober erscheinen.

I used Google translate and a bit of creative license for this:

"I'm too old to work with a producer," says Tom Petty, so [he and ] Mike Campbell supervised the new album. After the last record, "Mojo", was influenced by blues and relaxed West Coast Rock, now the new songs to fall back on the American tradition.

Even Petty, who is on tour in the U.S., [was bored with ] his well-known pieces. "I have written many good songs that were not released as singles," he says - and names Nightwatchman and When The Time Comes.

We feel obliged to play the famous songs, because the tickets are so expensive -. Yet but I want to not only deliver what people expect " [ie, I want to deliver more than what they expect.? or play things that they might not expect?]

The collaboration with his guitarist Mike Campbell is as tight as ever. "You do not see many 60-year-old with dreadlocks," jokes Petty. , 'Our job is not [about growing up.] Maybe we should but let's [postpone] it." This new album with the Heartbreakers will be released in October.

^ What does "already call BS" mean, Martin? You don't believe they have a new album imminent? Tom's been talking about the new album in all his interviews. You think it will take them 5 years to release it?

I think there was some sarcasm in there. :081:

Oh, sorry Martin, I didn't get the joke. I tend to take things literally. :) Two albums 8 years apart this century. I didn't see that as a pattern. No talk of a solo album or Mudcrutch album in between, so I think they have time to finish this one soon.