Sign in to follow this  
Mudcrutch

Countdown: The 13 Most Sinister and Haunting TPATH Tracks of All-Time

In celebration of 13 years of Mudcrutch Farm I have put together a playlist of the most sinister TPATH tracks of all time. Let's kick this off....

VVVV -- Scroll down through the thread to listen to the tracks along with some comments -- VVVV

The Unlucky 13

13... Can't Stop The Sun
12... Turn this Car Around
11... The Golden Rose
10... Grew Up Fast
9.... This Old Town
8.... House in the Woods
7.... Supernatural Radio
6.... Mary Jane's Last Dance - LIVE - 1999 - The Hamburg Docks
5.... Don't Come Around Here No More, LIVE 1990
4.... Refugee - LIVE - Pack up the Plantation
3.... Lonesome Sundown
2.... Good Enough, Mojo
1.... Won't Be Wrong - Tom/Howie Duet - Cover

Edited by Mudcrutch
list update

Can't Stop the Sun, The Last DJ

"Hey Mr. Business man..." Surprising only one track from The Last DJ appears on this list. Contains some seriously haunting organ work. A few near misses include "When Money Becomes King," "Dreamville," and "Joe."

I never cared for The Golden Rose, maybe because the instrumentals are haunting?

I have always been intrigued by this song. Love the eerie organ at the beginning, and I like it even more how it returns to finish the song.

1 additional year of site supporter status to any correct guesses of the top 3.

Wildcard -- if you guess #1 you will receive lifetime site supporter status.

If someone guesses before you then your guess does not count. Remember, there might be live versions in there...

I love Grew Up Fast! I really loved that She's The One album. It's one of my favorite albums really. I wish they would play more songs from that album in concert.

Great job, Ryan! This is a great thread!

This Old Town, Highway Companion

With rats to kill TP makes this "moderately" paced track sway to the sinister side with his lyrics. Great piano work and big Rickenbacker (?) guitar strums open the song up.

From here on out the list will start to rip your face off a bit more and not let up until the end. (Will continue on Sunday July 7th)

#3 I should Have known It

#2 Spike (live with Intro of Cypress Lounge)

#1 You Got Lucky

Just a quick guess.. May have to get back to you after the weekend of

some thought..

maybe good guesses... maybe not...

Almost any song could be sinister, now that I think about it, lol. What about that line in Melinda where he's going to crawl through her window one dark night? Scary if she's not expecting him!

I love Golden Rose, not sure I thought of it as sinister, but it is definitely haunting and that's why I love it so much. It's one of my favorite TP songs.

I like all the top 3 named for this list so far. Good choices. I can't wait to see what you pick, Ryan. Great thread.

Okay, here I go:

#3 - Takin' My Time

- for that screeching wah-wah guitar solo, the monotonous rhythm and the spooky line "scares me to think about what's on the road after me"

#2 - Fooled Again (I Don't Like It)

- especially for that stinging organ tone. I've never heard a more bewildering note in a song, it's like a needle. And of course for its gloomy feel and the teeth-crunching done-me-wrong lyrics.

#1 - Lost Without You (live)

- LOST! LOST! LOOOOOOOST!!!! Full of despair, full of self-resentment. One of these days, he's gonna get his shit together and stop screwing up. The moody instrumentation plus the uncompromising emotional outburst make this my guess for number one.

Well, maybe I should have put Good Enough in there, just because you like it so much, Ryan! :)