Sign in to follow this  
WreckMeBaby

Fonda #4 -- unreal. SHUT DOWN BY FIRE MARSHALL

Someone should have given all visitors a drink for free when leaving.

My thought is that the venue should have given a free drink to the first 50 people that agreed to go up to the balcony. They probably would have had 200 takers!

Here's a statement from the Band... posted at 2:30 PM Sunday.

http://www.tompetty.com/forum/statement-tom-petty-and-heartbreakers-regarding-last-nights-early-conclusion-concert-fonda

June 09, 2013

Statement From Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers Regarding Last Night's Early Conclusion To The Concert At The Fonda Theatre In Los Angeles

First and foremost, the safety of our fans is our primary concern and the most important consideration. To those fans who attended last night's show at the Fonda Theatre, we are as frustrated as you are!

While we are still investigating exactly what happened we do know the following as of right now:

1) The number of tickets sold was NOT above the legal capacity of the building. The venue and Ticketmaster documentation confirms this.

2) The Fire Marshall decided that the number of people on the floor (as opposed to on the upstairs balcony or terrace) was unsafe.

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers and our representatives rely on the concert promoter and venue representatives to give us an accurate breakdown of the legal capacity for every part of the building and to provide security and other staff to enforce this.

We are still investigating all details of last night's situation and will keep you informed.

The shows at the Fonda tonight and Tuesday will go ahead as planned and we are working with the venue, the promoter and the Fire Marshall to ensure that this problem will not repeat itself.

We thank you for your support.

- Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers

1) The number of tickets sold was NOT above the legal capacity of the building. The venue and Ticketmaster documentation confirms this.

Doesn't really mean a whole lot. I have witnessed people getting in without tickets at small venues. (yes at small venue TPATH shows too)

Hi - First time poster:

Some personal insight on Saturday night (fire marshall) versus Tuesday night...

Tuesday night I was on the floor with HCC tix. They checked for my wristband every time I left the floor and came back (always before the show started - I didn't leave during the show). I was about 15 feet in front of the soundboard - and thought it was appropriately crowded - but not too crowded. Amazing show. Great setlist, great sound, great view, great energy, great crowd!

For last night I scored GA Balc's on Friday night about 6:30 from Ticketmaster. They checked my ticket stub (no wrist bands for balcony) every time I went up the stairs to the balcony seating area (which is different than the stairs to the outdoor patio) - so not just anybody could go up to the balcony seating area. I went onto the floor once before the show started and they did not check me for a wristband or anything - so for at least a while floor access was not an issue. Given easy access to the floor, and limited access to the balcony - it may have resulted in floor overcrowding and balcony undercrowding.

The GA Balc was awesome. We got in about 7:30, and got the last two rail spots behind the five rows of seats, far left side next to the spotlights. Met about 10 different people in our immediate area, and took turns holding the rail and letting short people get good views. The crowd where we were was only two or three people deep at most times. In hindsight, much happier I was upstairs than down on the floor. Great view, great sound, and very comfortable (not sardined) space. I hope I get to do it again!

It was an awesome 2/3 of a show, and while the early shut-down was disappointing to say the least - I'll get over it. I feel really bad for people who expended great time and money to see the show. For me, it was face value G/A tix and a 13 mile drive from home. I can't imagine having paid for airfare, hotels, rental cars, expensive tix, et. and having this happen...

This band is so tight right now, you can see on their faces that they are having a great time playing these shows, and I got an amazing show and 2/3 during the past five days - I'm just not in a position to complain!

Wish I was going to Bonnaroo...

They could have handled this better. Where was their business manager?

Why not offer something to move? Something more than a drink... maybe a t-shirt...five minutes with the band after the show??? Then everyone would have won. Getting 50 to 100 people to move, can't be that insurmountable.

I feel so badly for those that flew to the venue.

A few other comments:

Three of the people that joined our balcony space about 8:30 said they had just scored their tix from the box-office and came right in - no advance purchase!

Adding 100 people to the balcony might have been feasible - but it would not have been a good situation up there - and the views of those last 50 would not be so good.

When it's 10:30pm on a Saturday night in a crowded (and for many - alcohol soaked) venue - it's gotta be hard to logistically re-distribute 100+ people throughout a venue, IMO.

Tom had some funny comments when he first announced the fire-marshall concerns, about how he got cross with the fire marshall at the forum in 1980, and he's learned to respect the fire marshall. Then finished by muttering about the absurdity of a "voluntary exit" or something (wish I had a transcript)...

^Wow, that's something to watch. Funny how the fans laughed at first like Tom was kidding. People must have been pretty mad on the way out.

Welcome to the Farm, Mirrorball! Thanks for telling us your experience. It sounds to me like the venue was selling the extra tickets at the door. Somebody is in big trouble!

I agree with the comments that Fonda staff were serving people too much alcohol. The song "Rebels" is permanently ruined for me because of some lady singing along last night. She couldn't even stand. She was probably one of the ones without a wristband.

When Tom started playing "Two Gunslingers" after that, a man next to us told the lady, "Don't ruin this one!"

^Wow, that's something to watch. Funny how the fans laughed at first like Tom was kidding. People must have been pretty mad on the way out.

I would have thought Tom was joking at first judging by his casual, happy attitude. But what gave it away was how serious Scott Thurston was in the 1-2 songs before "Friend of the Devil." I think he'd gotten the message from the side of the stage, because there was some talk between him, Tony D., and some guy I didn't recognize (Fire Marshal?). Next, a setlist came onto the stage in 'Bugs' hands. My first thought was that perhaps a special guest appearance had to back out at the last minute or something... but I think they had taken a setlist from the stage to estimate how many minutes were left (maybe trying to persuade the marshal to let the show go on).

http://m.rollingstone.com/?redirurl=/music/news/tom-petty-show-cut-short-by-fire-marshal-20130609&seenSplash=1

Music: Tom Petty Show Cut Short by Fire Marshal

Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers perform at The Fonda Theatre on June 3rd, 2013 in Los Angeles, California.

BY STEVE BALTIN

JUNE 9, 2013 | 1:59PM EDT

Full Size Image

Jeff Kravitz/FilmMagic

Tom Petty** and the Heartbreakers playing an intimate Saturday night show in the midst of a sold-out six-night run is an obvious hot ticket. Unfortunately, it turned out to be too hot for the fire marshal last night.

About ninety minutes into the set at L.A.'s Fonda Theatre, following a sterling cover of the Grateful Dead's "Friend Of The Devil," Petty announced from the stage that he had been summoned to the side and warned by the fire marshal that the floor was a hundred people over capacity. Everything seemed fine as he jokingly asked if a hundred people wanted to voluntarily head upstairs or leave, and even some of the Heartbreakers joined in the fun, raising their hands for an early departure. Petty then said, "I've done my job, now I'm gonna do what I do best." And with that, the night continued with a rousing extended "Melinda." That would turn out to be the last song of the night, however, for as much as Petty tried to play off the warning in good spirits, even he acknowledged that fire marshals don't have much of a sense of humor.

He told a story about how he was going to take this very seriously because he made a joke during a similar situation at the Forum in 1980 and got in trouble. This time, there was no opportunity for trouble. As soon as "Melinda" wrapped, Petty said, "We're being told we have to go." And with that, the band departed the stage, leaving many stunned, and once the house lights quickly came up the cheers turned to loud boos. Outside the venue some angry patrons were seen yelling at the fire marshal.

Tom Petty Guitarist Mike Campbell: We're Free From 'Free Fallin''

Their anger was understandable, as the early cut-off put an abrupt end to what had been a profound night of music. As he has done at both the Beacon Theater in New York and the first three nights of this run, Petty was digging deep, mixing in standards like "Here Comes My Girl" with a dazzling triple play of acoustic songs in the middle of the set that included "Rebels," "Two Gunslingers" and an absolutely perfect "Angel Dream (No. 2)" from the underrated She's The One soundtrack.

He also played a cover of the Traveling Wilburys**' "Tweeter And The Monkey Man," which he recalled co-writing when Bob Dylan** came into a Wilburys session and said he wanted to write a song about "a character named Tweeter." According to Petty, Dylan added that it should have another character, which prompted Petty to come up with the Monkey Man, setting the tale in New Jersey, and making mention of Bruce Springsteen. Petty then added, "The English guys said this is too American, we're going home." The spirit of spontaneity and Petty's comfort with the intimate setting was apparent throughout as they covered Paul Revere & The Raiders' "(I'm Not Your) Stepping Stone" and J.J. Cale's "I'm Not Your Lover."

Among the other highlights were a sublime "The Best Of Everything" and an arena-rock-worthy rendition of 1983's "A Woman In Love (It's Not Me)." There was promise for many more standouts on this night, but they were not to be.

"If it has to come out of my own pocket everyone will get reimbursed."

Very classy. They must already be losing money on these shows. An operation the size of a Tom Petty tour is very expensive to produce.

This is unbelievable!!!

I'm surprised to know that people may have been able to sneak in or get on the floor without the wristband. On Monday night, I couldn't even enter the balcony without showing my ticket, and was unable to enter the floor (yes, I tried :icon_redface:).

I agree, Tom's comment was very classy. I also agree that somebody other than Tom should have made the warning announcement.

I think that's great that he personally spoke to the press. That goes a long way to the fans knowing that Tom cares.

I wonder if any of the fans who snuck down to the floor, if that is what happened feel bad about getting the place shut down. Or we may find out that the venue oversold the concert letting people come in off the street the day of the concert. I do hope we get to know what happened!