Sign in to follow this  
WreckMeBaby

Fonda #4 -- unreal. SHUT DOWN BY FIRE MARSHALL

(Typing from my iPhone right outside of Fonda.)

Amazing show with great Setlist.

New songs for me:

Here comes my girl

Something big

Friend of the devil

I'd like to love you baby

2 gunslingers

The best of everything

With 6 songs to go, Tom gets on the mic and says the fire marshal told him that there were 100 too many people in the building... He said either 100 had to leave or move to the balcony. People weren't moving. After "Melinda," Tom was summoned to the side of the stage by the marshal and when he returned to the mic, he said they had to stop.

They shut it down. Curtain too. We hung around a bit because people started leaving.. But they never restarted.

We then waited outside the venue by the back alley. Ron Blair drove by. Then mike. Mike rolled down the window. About 5 of us were talking with him while the traffic was clearing on the cross street. I got to say hi and shake his hand.

I think my hand is bigger.

The 5 songs left on the Setlist were

Refugee

Runnin down a dream

Listen to her heart

Around and around

American girl

Would have loved to hear Listen to Her Heart one more time, but its ok. The show was great!! It was so nice to hear those songs I listed at the top.

Setlist was great.

During a intense and solid performance of Melinda I saw Tony approach Scott and write something on the setlist. Scott showed Ron and it didn't come to Tom's attention until somewhere in a break either in Melinda or Friend Of The Devil. Forgive me if my recollection is not exact, but after waiting in line since 3:30pm and then really rocking out - the abrupt stop has me befuddled, a bit.

I could tell something was wrong with the Manager passing a note along throughout the band, but what happened next really surprised me. Tom took the mic and said, "So, I have just been told, by the Fire Marshall, there are, like, a hundred too many people here tonight. So they want 100 people to go to the balcony. I don't know how you do that. But, we'll just keep doing our thing." -- not an exact quote, but def the gist.

TPATH played one more AMAZING and completely solid song. Then Tom took the mic again and said, "Well, folks. That's it. We are being told we are shut down for the night. Thank you so much. Thank you so much."

Tom & Mike handled the crowd with smiles and grace. That being said, I would not want to be backstage tonight. Whoever screwed up, screwed up big. We waited in line with people who traveled from anywhere from Utah, to Canada, to Europe -- all for this show tonight. Whatever happened that caused the show to end with over 40 minutes to go (or roughly 7-9 songs), it is really unreal. It was unreal to see Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers have to quit their set at such a special show.

By the way, they were ALL incredible tonight. Really feeling the groove of the venue. Even cut in half, it was the best show so far of the Fonda stand.

My heart goes out to those who made such effort to see the show tonight. At least what there was of it, was incredible.

Edited by WreckMeBaby
Referenced incorrect song.

Yeah, I took my dad for an early birthday present tonight. We both got to go on Monday though, and I've been lucky to see the band 8 times now. Plus I've seen Mike a good 10+ times with the Dirty Knobs. And Mike has been very nice to me all 3 times I've met him.

When the show ended, we went to Starbucks, got a coffee and went over to the Capitol Records building to see The Beatles stars on the walk of fame.

I agree about the quality of tonight's show. It was absolutely amazing. Love Is A Long Road was a definite highlight.

It was amazing. We lined up at 3pm, to get our cozy spot up front. Was NOT disappointed by the band. They were in rare form. It was def a night to remember and we can shrug off spending one of our days off basking in the sun to get close and have it cut short. As Tom said tonight, "It's one of those things in life." -- or something like that. Okay I am a little pissed!! Lol. They were so good tonight, every night. To be cut short is a travesty!! :-) Billy the Kid was insanely awesome tonight tho. So good.

It was! When they said they were doing something from Echo, I was hoping it'd be "Have Love Will Travel" because I saw "billy the kid" on Monday, but tonight it was even better!!

I was really glad to hear "Friend of the Devil."

Mike has been at the top of his game this week. The best I've ever heard the band play.

I'm so, so sorry you guys. That is a real bummer. I would be so upset! It will be something you won't get over for a long long time! You are handling it so well though. Hugs to you!

I missed a show one time when a friend got sick unexpectedly when we were on the way to the show and we had to take her to the hospital. It was Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers at the OLYMPIC! They were playing The Last DJ from beginning to end. It was so special. We missed the whole show. I was crushed and I cried all the way home on my trip back to Florida. I'm sure the fight attendant thought somebody died. HAHA!

So my heart goes out to you guys. You have a special bond now.

WOW, that's crazy! SO sorry you guys. I have to say I'm glad the Fire Marshall was on the ball, though. Infinitely worse to have another nightclub fire tragedy.

Glad the show was great to that point, but really sorry it stopped early.

Did Mike offer any insight into the problem when you talked with him?

He was being asked other questions during the exchange, so he didn't really say anything about the stoppage. I did hear him say he was surprised, and that he hoped they'd be ok for "tomorrow night," meaning Sunday.

It was very nice of him to roll down his window and say hi to some fans. Some fans that shook his hand had flown in from Japan!

Also, why would NOBODY move to the balcony. Kind of ruins it for everyone.

I think there were a lot of people that should have been in the balcony that went to the floor. On Monday night, I remember someone checking to see if I had a wristband before I could get down to the stage area. Last night, no one was checking, so I'm sure quite a few people could have made it down that weren't supposed to.

I've also heard multiple people talk about Fonda employees selling $80 tickets outside before the show. Who knows.

Just catchin some words of what happened gave me a big shock thinking some fire ended the concert - it's still bad but at least by far not THAT bad, I'm sorry for the abrupt ending which might have ruined the feeling at the end but good to know those marshall's take their jobs serious. Hopefully it wasn't the only concert for someone who travelled from far.

Someone should have given all visitors a drink for free when leaving.