Sign in to follow this  
Softanimal

Question of the day 7/3/12

Yes, of course. English! At school we had a bad teacher, so later I had to learn it by myself without any help. I can not say that I know the language well. Probably about 5 (on a scale from 1 to 10 ) I'm pretty well understand the text and and translate into Russian, but I have little practice in speaking and writing in English.

I took French in high school. I loved that class! At the time, I was probably at a 3 or 4. Reading the language as opposed to speaking/hearing it. The college I went to did not offer French, so I took an equivalency test and passed it (barely). 20 years later, I'm probably at a -3. All I remember is Je ne sais pas (I don't know). J'ai faim. (I'm hungry). LOL

I took 2 years of German in high school and 3 years in college. It was a long time ago, and I never made it to Germany to improve my German. I still hope to get there, though. If Sweet Little Queen is a 5 in English (I think your English is much better than that, Elena!), then my German would be a 1.

I was an exchange student in Germany (West Germany at the time). When I came back thirty years ago, I dreamt in German. Now, I probably speak at a nursery school level. If you don't use it, you lose it.

In high school I took three years of French. Only thing I can still read is a menu. And I can ask directions to the toilette, but I can't understand the answer.

Yes, I grew up in an LA neighborhood with lots of spanish speaking families and friends. I also took Spanish in high school and many of my high school friends were bi-lingual so they taught me the language too. I knew all the bad words, lol. Years ago I would have rated myself a 7 in the language but now it's more like a 2. If you don't practice it, you lose it.

I have had English and German at school. I would put my English on an 8 and my German on a 2. I am not good at German, though I listen to German radio every day.

I have worked at an Italian restaurant many years ago. I learned some words there, but that's a 1.

Spanish, I used to speak fairly well, until we lived in Germany. Then I learned and spoke German well. Now I've forgotten how to speak both. Probably a 2 or 3 in both.

I had spanish in 9th grade, and only a few phrases stuck, like, Como esta estad?(not even sure that's spelled right.)

I learned Dutch when I lived in Holland and was just becoming fluent when I moved back here. After 25 years, I don't recall much of that either, unfortunately.

My bf speaks Spanish and French fluently, knows some German, Italian and Japanese, a smattering of some others. He has an aptitude for it. If I ever travel again, I am taking him for an interpreter!

Studied french for a year in college. Could write essays in it at that time. Had more trouble hearing and understanding than reading and understanding. Today - I am about a 1 in French and a 10 in southern American dialect.

I had spanish in 7th and 8th grade. I'd say I'm a 1 in that language. Didn't use it really and lost most of it.

I learned lots of italian from my mother and her side of the family. Mostly curse words, lol!

I had a little Spanish in grade school. I don't speak it but I can understand a little. I had French in college. It's a beautiful language. I don't remember much, and it's rare when i hear it spoken in California. I also learned a little Chinese which I'm relearning with my daughter. Half her family is Chinese.

I had spanish in 9th grade, and only a few phrases stuck, like, Como esta estad?(not even sure that's spelled right.)

I learned Dutch when I lived in Holland and was just becoming fluent when I moved back here. After 25 years, I don't recall much of that either, unfortunately.

My bf speaks Spanish and French fluently, knows some German, Italian and Japanese, a smattering of some others. He has an aptitude for it. If I ever travel again, I am taking him for an interpreter!

What were you doing in Holland? Studying? Painting? Working? Sounds interesting. I went to Europe with my childhood friend in the 80s. It was great because she was fluent in several languages - French, Russian, Spanish, Greek... I guess American girls had a rep back then; men were always trying to talk to us; ironically, we were pretending we didn't know any languages...lol

What were you doing in Holland? Studying? Painting? Working? Sounds interesting. I went to Europe with my childhood friend in the 80s. It was great because she was fluent in several languages - French, Russian, Spanish, Greek... I guess American girls had a rep back then; men were always trying to talk to us; ironically, we were pretending we didn't know any languages...lol

I was married, a whirlwind thing that didn't work out. In a perfect world I would have been going to art school or something, but I was dumb, didn't know what I wanted.

Even though many Europeans know English, it is nice to have someone along who speaks the language. My Dutch husband spoke English like a native and German, after we split he learned French and Russian too.

The frustrating thing about the Dutch, is that almost all of them speak some English, and many speak it well, so when I would try and practice my Dutch, they would just answer in English! And then there were some of the almost incomprehensible dialects... Languages are intriguing.