Sign in to follow this  
Almost Simon

Isle of Wight Festival UK

There's going to be lots of footage from the festival on German digital TV in the next week, no idea which and who in which program and how many of those are just repeats but I am going to record all and check afterwards.

I watched the 3 hour special on VH1 Classics last night, and TPATH were not included. Springsteen and Pearl Jam and lots of other bands, but no TPATH. I was really disappointed, but at least we can see their performance on YouTube.

Yeah - I recorded it and flipped through it. No TPATH - even though it said there would be.

Seriously, what the hell? There were plenty of decent bands on but they didn't have time for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? Poor decision on their part.

Seriously, what the hell? There were plenty of decent bands on but they didn't have time for Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers? Poor decision on their part.

This might be down to the band themselves. Remember that they (the bands management) only allowed 30mins worth to be shown on the UK TV coverage. I guess we'll never know but you'd imagine a TV broadcaster would show as much of the headline acts as they possibly could. No reason to ignore them.

I found this hd (1080i !) recording of part of the boys' Isle of Wight concert.

It's only a couple of tracks, unfortunately. Seems management didn't allow any more to be broadcast on SKY. But the recording is well worth the download, even though it is enormously large (8 GB).

Here is the link.

And here are a couple of screenshots/snippets, the quality is so good:

017.JPG

035.JPG

026.JPG

I was channel surfing and caught a commercial with TPATH at the Isle of Wight Concert, 2012. It's going to be on this Saturday morning, September 1, on Palladia. Although they don't mention them, I think Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band will be on the show as well:

Isle of Wight 2012

SATURDAY, 9/1 at 9pm EST -- Highlights from the iconic 2012 Isle of Wight festival from the UK. Features Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers, Pearl Jam, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, The Darkness, Band of Skulls, Elbow, Madness, Primal Scream, Jessie J, Noah & The Whale, Biffy Clyro and Big Country.

Not sure how available this one has been in the last few years, but I just re-saw it recently, and it's available now, so.. well worth a revisit. Awesome quality too! One of the best on-line, as it were. Bound to evoke some memories and maybe a few old discussions too.. (I mean, what about guitar solos, versions of MJLD, European tours, using or not using prompter (spoiler alert on that one..) ) For a festival gig, this smokes as good as any.

10 minutes ago, Shelter said:

it's available now, so.. well worth a revisit. Awesome quality too! One of the best on-line, as it were.

Never saw this before. Yes, high quaility. I swear ISHKI sounds right off the Mojo tour or in the vibe of that record, just very heavy. I suppose the slightly slower beats were a facotr maybe of time on the road and Tom's injury but it makes them feel more like a borderline heavy blues band; it's a tempo that suits them. Do I miss the fast tempo of the earlier years, sure but this is good too. It lends credence to my theory they could've changed into some bluesy/garage rock band or maybe what I picture the Black Crowes were like, not as a 1:1 but just somewhere in that area. Despite the slower tempo there's a slight military feel to Steve's drumming, keeps things trundling forward.

It's nothing new but I like Tom's languid guitar solo on MJLD, his bends and Mike's easy fluidity flow together just fine. It's so good I always wonder how they can cut it so relatively soon.

Thanks for sharing this, just think, years back you either caught this on broadcast and taped it to vhs, or found a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy of a copy in an independent copy...uhh...record shoppe, some generic cover printed out on a computer, maybe a missnamed set list on the back if you were lucky and a bit of an overprice but still...you purchased it and threw it in first thing. 

Now...a simple click on the Farm and some good quality live playing for all.

Merci!

1 hour ago, Shelter said:

and maybe a few old discussions too.

17:29 you must like that shot of Ron singing backgrounds.

He would make a very interesting interview. Leaving the band and returning. What it was like playing his first show back. Playing on songs he no doubt heard on the radio like FMF, WF, learning to fly etc. MJLD that he wasn't a part of and now was performing on stage. The switch to Steve. How he kept in touch with Mike over the years, just all of it, a good fifty page in-depth interview. There's a lot of fertile ground, he's the only one to leave and return, what a perspective he could share.

ciao