Sign in to follow this  
NightDriver

Hamburg, DE

I love your posts about the concert! It's obvious you love the band and had a great time in spite of the lame audience. We've all been there with the shitty crowd. Luckily, most of the time everyone's totally into the show!

Thanks for sharing your experience. I am impressed with your English. I would not be able to get my point across like that in another language!

SO happy the band went to Europe this summer.

Thank you all so much for coming and sharing your experiences, good and bad. I love your energy and how much you all appreciate this band. I'm sorry about the lame crowd MJ! I hope your next shows will be better. SLQ, I'm glad you got to go too!

Edited by Marion

I am loving these stories! Thanks for sharing. Glad you got that off your chest, MJ. There's nothing more annoying than a lazy audience. Well, maybe an audience of drunks is worse, lol.

^ Yep..dealt with drunks and people who do not have floor tickets crawling over seats and elbowing their way into the front row, etc. People are so rude and obnoxious! Have seen several talk through the show. If you did not want to hear the band....stay home please. It is interesting to know that there are crazy folks in Europe too and it isn't just an American thing. How in the world do they stay seated at a rock concert???

But I agree that the public was actually quieter than at the next concert in Horsens.

The hamburgian audiance is the difficultest in Germany:icon_confused: But it doesn´t mean they don´t like the show only because they are quiet.... It´s their mentality. If they don´t shouting "Buuuuuuuh!!!!" they enjoy it;)

I can only second what MJ wrote.

Many people seemed to have gotten their front row tickets for their 80th birthday...

Plus, security were very strict. They had extra personnel in the aisles where I was sitting (row 7) to keep the mob away from stage. Which is okay for me during the concert itself, but when it comes to the encore, I'm used to be allowed to run to the front for the encore. But there, not even that was granted...

Oh well, I think times have changed. It was easy to scream, dance, drink and elbow your way through the concert when the ticket was 50 bucks. Now you're paying more than double and I believe people want to get the most out of this pricy concert experience, musically.

Let's see what it will be like in Cologne and Mannheim.

I can't wait to see the boys again!

The hamburgian audiance is the difficultest in Germany:icon_confused: But it doesn´t mean they don´t like the show only because they are quiet.... It´s their mentality. If they don´t shouting "Buuuuuuuh!!!!" they enjoy it;)

I did not notice what was happening around me most part of concert, but I saw that sitting next to me people really like the show. In our row many of people was dancing.

Being married to a man of German decent, I believe this is true! ;)

Wait until you get to London. No one in RAH stands up or cheers or sings along until the very last songs. But, you get a great experience musically because you can hear every note and word perfectly in the venue.

^ Oh, Lizzie, but people at the Royal Albert Hall do sometimes get up and dance and sing. They did for the Cream shows...for my Jackson show there they kept sitting, though....

I will be in a seat in the Choir section and I will be dancing ;)

Lol about the defective joy gene. Both my husband and I are of German backgrounds. My Mom was born there and brought beauty and much joy in everything we did. I get my spirit of life from her....:049:

Thanks for the comments and your empathy, guys! It makes it a lot easier to accept that shit happens and that sometimes you just can't do anything about it.

I wish I could post the links to some websites on which people are sharing their feelings and opinions concerning the concert in Hamburg, but all of their comments are in German. I don't think Google Translate will really help you with this. :D

I think what bothers me the most is, that I didn't EXPECT this "sit down and shut up-thing" at all and also THE IMPRESSION that the band may have now of German crowds. If I were in the band I would be irritated and I would take the crowd's reaction as a feedback. I always thought, Germans are crazy party people :D, I was so excited and also proud that Tom would come to my country for three times! I want them to know that !!! :049: I don't want the band to be disappointed, but I could sense a little disappointment. I know I'm taking this too serious, for them it is just one show of many many shows, but for me it is one of three and that was the feeling I had when I drove home by train the next day.

^ Yep..dealt with drunks and people who do not have floor tickets crawling over seats and elbowing their way into the front row, etc. People are so rude and obnoxious! Have seen several talk through the show. If you did not want to hear the band....stay home please. It is interesting to know that there are crazy folks in Europe too and it isn't just an American thing. How in the world do they stay seated at a rock concert???

Yeah, a bunch of riotous drunks would be the negative opposite... I'd been to the shows in Philly in 2008 and they were perfect to me... people were enjoying themselves, but everything was organized. Unfortunately, I think some fans also had to make bad experiences with drunks though...

Maybe concert organizers are forced to be more strict now (especially in Germany) because of the incident at the Love Parade. Not sure if this is the only reason, but I'm pretty sure it is one.

I've seen though that it is possible to enjoy a concert, screaming and standing with a beer in your hand without any problems. If not, I would really think about not going to concerts at all and I'm usually a passionate concert-attender.

Something funny: Before "I Should Have Known It" Tom said something like "Here's a little headbanging number for you"...

But you better don't stand up! I thought... :081:

Edited by MJ§LastDance

Yeah, I believe in London they will be up on their feet !!! If not... I don't know... I won't understand the world anymore! :eek: :003:

Both my husband and I are of German backgrounds. My Mom was born there and brought beauty and much joy in everything we did. I get my spirit of life from her....:049:

I remember you telling me that at the concert in Philly. God, I was so nervous and excited, I forgot how to speak English at times... :D Not only because of the concert, also because I met some of you very kind Americans from this board. :D

That second concert was the best thing that happened to me in my life. Best moments in my life and you shared them with me Beth. :)

Nothing and nobody can take that away.

I'll try to write a few words about my impressions of the concerts. In Hamburg, was the first TP & HB's concert in my life. I think you understand what that means. The last days before the concert I tried a lot of unthinking about the concert, then that is very nervous about it. And I had to fly to Germany, it was my first big trip abroad, I was very afraid that something happen on the road.

When the plane flies to Hamburg, I felt something special.Tom was very close, and my heart beat very fast. :heart:

Before the show I walked around the city, looked the beatles's place , and then met with friends and we went to the concert. There was a little problem with the subway.:mad: Trains didn't go to station near concert hall. There has been repaired. We and many other fans had to find a bus, but we had a lot of time, so we're not worried. It was just a little adventure.

How difficult it was to wait for the last minutes before the concert.

The place I was not very good, far from the scene. But as I wrote, it was the back row, so I could stand up and dance to the concert. My friends were in other places, so nothing would distract me from what will be happening on stage. I did not notice anything around.

The first words Tom had been "Lisen to your heart". And it was like a motto for me. My soul was on stage next to Tom. I could not see much from my place, but I felt in my heart that Tom is doing. I've seen, heard and felt only him. Like an invisible thread connected us. And I tried to send him all my love and all that I felt.:054:

I'm a bad girl, but I remembered that on stage there are other musicians after the third song. And of course I was glad to see all these guys.:heart:

I've always said that I wanted to hear live "Good to be king". This is a special song for me. And Tom has played this song. After that was "Someting good coming". And it was my second dream, from the moment when I saw it in the setlist this tour. But even if Tom does not sing these songs, I'm glad to hear any song. Each song on the concert was great. I've heard and seen a lot of records concerts, but nothing can compare to when you yourself are in the hall.

After the concert I went overflowing with energy.

When it was over, I met my friends. The concert was a lot of Russian fans. I personally know 15 people. But I think it was more. All first time was at a concert.On the way home we discussed the concert. Everyone was ecstatic.

Some of my friends sent me a message and asked me about the concert. I wrote to him that sometimes it's better than sex. :):060:

It was an unforgettable night. I have it I will remember all my life.

Sorry for the mistake or if I said something funny. My English is not perfect.

SLQ, I loved reading your story. Thank you for posting about your adventure. It's all great! Even though you were far away for this one you still felt a connection and it was special for you. :)

MJ, I was at that Philly show and I met you that day too. Philly LOVES TPATH! You are cute as can be! I can't believe people would yell at you!

(((MJ))) :049:

:054:

I'm a bad girl, but I remembered that on stage there are other musicians after the third song. And of course I was glad to see all these guys.:heart:

Hehee, I'd experienced the same thing when I saw them the first time. I was so focused on Tom at first, after some songs I was like: "Oh wow, there's also Mike and Benmont and Ron and Steve and Scott..." :D

I've always said that I wanted to hear live "Good to be king". This is a special song for me.

I have to admit, I'm not the biggest fan of that song live, but in Hamburg it was very special to me. I need to tell you this:

I have to thank Nancy (Starfish) from this board again, who was very kind and sent me one of the rare Dirty Knobs LPs, because I wasn't able to buy it here in Europe. I took it with me to the concert to show it to Mike, to show that I'm a big fan of his band too.

I was on the right side in front of the stage, so it was not that easy to get his attention. But then during "It's Good To Be King" he looked in my direction again and again, but didn't really react on me. Then, suddenly, he came closer and closer, almost stopped playing and tried hard to see what I was holding there. My heart almost stopped. :107: I tired to stay calm and not do something stupid. :D It was such a cool and actually funny situation, because he coudn't see what it was. It was dark there, the vinyl is pretty small and the cover is in black & white. He was smiling and hunching his shoulders like "I'm sorry, but I can't see what it is"... :049: I was like: "Of course you can, look here" and I showed him the title "Feed The Snake"... :D Then he realized that it was the DK vinyl and nodded his head. Other people looked at me like "What the hell does she have there?" :D

After "Runnin' Down A Dream" he was like "Where's the girl with the vinyl?" and when he found me he thanked me again, blowing a kiss. So sweet of him. :049: Mike is the coolest!

I'd also hoped that he would sign it, but the conditions there made it impossible. Maybe I'll get my chance another time.

Sorry for the mistake or if I said something funny. My English is not perfect.

Thanks for sharing your impressions of the concert, SLQ! I can understand everything you wrote just fine! :) Wish I'd known that you were going, would have liked to meet you! Next time!? ;)

MJ, I was at that Philly show and I met you that day too. Philly LOVES TPATH! You are cute as can be! I can't believe people would yell at you!

Aww, thank you! :o Yes, I remember! Unfortunately, it was pretty short! I hope next time we can talk a lot more! :)