Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

What Music Are You Listening To Right Now?

Yesterday morning I started listening to the complete Columbia recordings of The Byrds LP's and just finished all 13 of the albums. Now I'm starting the complete LP box set of ELO that has 11 albums (1 double LP) for 12 LP's.

81sJcSQHjZL._SL1500_.jpg

81Cy0vTvidL._SL1473_.jpg

13 hours ago, nurktwin said:

Yesterday morning I started listening to the complete Columbia recordings of The Byrds LP's and just finished all 13 of the albums. Now I'm starting the complete LP box set of ELO that has 11 albums (1 double LP) for 12 LP's.

Aha, a completist.  I approve. 😉 Q: listening to albums in chronological order? 

This is to be my year of listening to The Beatles plus some solo work.  I love The Beatles (of course, since I'm a music lover) - but have I listened to all their back catalog? Do I know their deep tracks?  Ummm, no... So, plan is listen to one album a week - should keep me occupied for many months.  Started around Christmas 2019 & am only up to end of 1964 - some Hamburg bootlegs, My Bonnie, Please Please Me, With The Beatles, A Hard Day's Night (album and movie*, which is on youtube), Beatles For Sale & the Live At the BBC recordings.  They're already completely marvellous & genius, especially compared to some of was going on in the charts at the time (the twist). Sam Cooke (A Change Is Gonna Come) & blues & that folk singer Dylan are going strong.  Happily though, The Dave Clarke 5 , The Kinks & The Rolling Stones are just released their first albums, so that gives us hope for the r&r revolution about to explode in The British Invasion. Slightly shocked to hear Mick Jagger singing crooning the words of Under The Boardwalk as The Stones play along.    

• Feb 1964 - tour USA.  
  • Here they are performing in April 1964 with their Rickenbackers, just back from the USA.
  • Movie premiered in July 1964.  *Loads of other fans, I'm sure, of their extended mime sequence where they are rescuing Ringo from police station while a man's trying to break into a car.   : )

White Album.  To my amazement I'm not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.  It was always my favourite Beatles album, but now, I dunno, not sure. It's been a funny week anyway, so I'm prepared to give it all another chance.   

I bought the 50th Anniversary release of the White Album and it really renewed my enthusiasm for that record.  Especially the extra disc containing the "Esher Demos" - which for those that don't know, are the acoustic demo versions of many of the songs on the White Album.  It is fantastic.  

Good news - Am back to loving White Album on  my second listen through.  I think I was thrown off by how diverse the songs / music is after the very cohesive Sgt Peppers'. (Despite lack of sleep due to changes at work because of this rapidly-developing pandemic situation.  I'm sure it's similar for all of you too.)

We still have music, so there's much to be grateful for!  Was only recently reading in Shakey about the Canadian polio outbreak that hit Neil Young and Joni Mitchell (& lots of others) when they were both little kids.  😶