Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

What Music Are You Listening To Right Now?

Earlier this year I posted about a podcast called Cocaine and Rhinestones (stories & history of country music).

I still like the content of podcasts, but I have an issue with the creator. He's got social media ie twitter account & facebook. It's increasingly full of his mean, nasty & shallow content - with an aggressive & dismissive attitude to music, many musicians and fans. 

So. Not good. Look, he might be using some complex approach where he uses this to raise his profile.

Whatever. He's just not interesting. I think that life is short & his kind of approach is not worth my time or attention. There is other, more interesting & engaging content by other people. So, I'm not subscribing to his podcasts anymore. I'm also no longer recommending his work beyond the original C&R podcasts. This is also why I'm not even mentioning his name. I hope you understand. 

Agree!!! On scale of 1 to 10, I'm giving it an 11. ^^^^^^^ Thanks for finding this. Sensational. As Mavis Staple might say: "Beautiful..."

I've been listening to a podcast all week (it's about 2 hours so I'm listening in chunks, as time permits.) Thoroughly enjoyable & interesting, albeit off to a slow start.

• Two main hosts
  • Guest Adam Weiner - musician with band Low Cut Connie.
  • Album "Willie and The Poor Boys" from 1969.
  • Band Creedence Clearwater Revival

Adam has much to say! He knows his music!! He mentions Leadbelly once or twice.

http://www.thegreatalbums.com/podcast-episodes/ccr-adam-weiner

"The Heaters" Live at the Showbox in Seattle on Thanksgiving evening 1979.  I didn't go, but it was simulcast on FM radio.  Coming up on the 40th anniversary of this show. This show can still be downloaded with proceeds going to Children's Hospital.

These guys owned the Seattle bar scene for a few years starting around 1979.  I just turned 21 that summer so I was finally legal to see bands in bars, and these guys rocked. If you wanted to go dance,  you went to a Heaters gig.  They had a decent size local hit song called "I Don't Like Your Face", and their album "Have An Idea" sold pretty well and I believe GoldMine magazine rated that record in their all-time top 50 "power pop" records.  I was in my first band at the time and we basically stole their setlist and made it ours. 

There is a CD of their original studio tracks called "Smoke" and their name was changed to "The Heats" because an L.A. band already had  "The Heaters.  The records were all produced by Howard Leese from "Heart", and the band actually toured the U.S. opening for Heart.

1269442187_HeatersShowbox1979artwork.thumb.jpg.5849ead8019cb508ef8db971febbe4cd.jpg

OMG  I've been hearing about Gary Clark Jr for a while but never heard him until toady when he came on random play on my youtube. Holy Sh#$ I've been missing out on a great artist!  Hendrix cover from his live album... I'm now a fan!