Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

What Music Are You Listening To Right Now?

Needles and Pins is coming in strong on the old supernatural radio. In other words, 4 days ago played Pack Up The Plantation album, then 3 days ago woke up with Needles And Pins on my mind, playing at volume. The song's been a constant ear-worm ever since, during quieter times of the day, or when my mind wanders where it will go...:o

The full Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers version, lots of guitars - but without Stevie Nicks. Which is great, as far as I'm concerned, since her voice on the Plantation version irritates me. So I guess my brain's cleverly filtered that out :lol: Normally, I'd say it's not a song I rate all that highly, but having been listening to TPATH playing it for 3 days solid, well, I now appreciate it a lot. 

I've tried to shift it, including playing other music & going onto YouTube & Spotify & finding other versions. Guess what - The Ramones' (yes, really!!!) cover is marvellous, with Joey's voice all laced with anguish. The feels, the feels! Smokie, not so much. The Searchers, it's fine but a bit too nice & controlled & folky for my liking. And so on. It's as though I'm on a road trip & the only CD in the glovebox has just this one song. 

Love the "Plantation" version with Stevie's harmonies, but there is one part after it modulates up that she can't quite reach.  That keeps it from being perfect, but she's still super hot (sorry, not sorry) and sounds great overall.  I do love the original version by the Searchers too, but I haven't heard any of those others. I was thinking Bruce had played this live, but I'm not finding it.  It seems like one the E Street Band would kill.  

Hah! Sorry, not sorry, indeed. I guess maybe I feel the second voice isnt 100% neccessary for telling the story, no matter who's singing it... But honestly, this isn't even a song I'd given much thought to... UNTIL NOW... For complete transparency here, I'm basically trying to hustle the song into someone else's ear. So now who's sorry, not sorry!! 

https://secondhandsongs.com is a terrific resource for chasing down who covered which songs. Not sure how accurate it is. They don't seem to list Bruce as covering Needles & Pins.  :unsure: Bruce = big rabbit warren, more than just a hole!  Will revisit The Searchers (I could easily have been too hasty & judgemental).

Oh, and wrong spot to post but Mike Campbell's back on tour with a couple of his Bathroom Jams so far. :wub: Talk about rabbit holes for trying to figure out which songs they sing. They're always good though, hey. Enjoy

Just stumbled upon this...

Not a bad take! Great sound too, if a tad polished for my taste. From upcoming covers album, apparently. Single is paired with-side of Zep's Going to California.. even more impressive in some ways. It should not be possible. And maybe it isn't. Still.. give the man a break.. amazing cut, amazing video too, in all simplicity. 

PS. This guy also made decent renditions of Square One, Insider and Refugee in the past.  

Here's Lonesome Dave hisself from the Energized album.  I wore that record out and this song is still a favorite. We were huge fans, and saw them around this time.  I was glad to see the Heartbreakers do a song about Lonesome Dave - even if they were poking fun at him.  

I just watched "Blaze" - a documentary about the late Texas troubadour Blaze Foley.  If you're not familiar, he was a contemporary of Townes Van Zandt.  If you're not familiar with Townes, they're both worth looking into.  Lucinda wrote "Drunken Angel" about Blaze.   Anyway, he rocks......

1 hour ago, under-them-skies-of-blue said:

Edit: apparently I don't know how to insert a video 😂 it's Rebel Heart by The Shelters!

Hey Under-them-skies,

Just paste the link and hit return or enter and it should embed and will offer the option of just displaying it as a link on the bottom of your post. 

cheers