Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

What Music Are You Listening To Right Now?

:o ... Aretha, Joan Baez, Beach Boys, Jackson Browne, Buffalo Springfield, Byrds, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Jackie De Shannon, Doobie Brothers, Doors (tho I skip that track), Dylan, Elvis, Duane Eddy,  Fifth Dimension, Four Tops, Clarence Frogman Henry,  Jefferson Airplane, Gladys Knight, Lynyrd Skynyrd, the Mamas & the Papas, Scott McKenzie, Willie Nelson, Randy Newman, Harry Nilsson, Wilson Pickett, Rooftop Singers (tho wish they'd used Everly Brothers' version), Bob Segar,  Simon & Garfunkel, Supremes, BJThomas, Three Dog Night and Youngbloods... 

= Forrest Gump soundtrack album.

Willly & the Poor Boys are lining up for a bowl of Goats Head Soup (yum)... Paying with the nickels they raised by busking down on the corner / out in the street? 

Awww, happy feelings about this 1969 Creedence Clearwater Revival album! Playing it last night on my new Bose headphones.

• The same as with Tom Petty's Wildflowers, every track is killer (so no skipping or leaving for a beer) & the songs flow as a whole. Sound is mixed well, so their rock solid bass & drum sound creates a solid base to the rest of the band. Vocals = :D You can even find a bonus track with CCR jamming with Booker T. 
  • It Came Out Of The Sky, Midnight Special, cover of Leadbelly's / traditional Cotton Fields. (Same year as Beach Boys' Cotton Fields).
  • Lyric: White House said: put it in the Blue Room. Vatican said: it belongs in Rome. Jody said: it's mine, but you can have it for fifteen million. :lol:

1969 = good year for good music!  

image.jpeg.6f9d66ac5b8ed78f8c92390dd39869dc.jpeg

So sad about his early death.:( I remember being impressed by this heartfelt praise ❤️ from Eric Clapton.  Misremembered it as being in Eric Clapton biography, but apparently 1991 Rolling Stone interview. 

RS: Your agent, Bobby Brooks, also died in the crash. 
Eric Clapton: Yeah, Bobby was a tremendous guy, a very funny man. He was in the helicopter with Stevie Ray, as were Nigel Browne and Colin Smythe of my crew. There was a convoy of helicopters, about five of them, and they had to go back through this very thick fog up to about 100 feet above the ground. And once we came out of that, we just took off for Chicago. And when I got back, I went straight to bed. And I was woken about seven in the morning by my manager, Roger Forrester, saying that the helicopter with Stevie Ray and our chaps hadn’t come back. And then a bit later, someone discovered the wreckage. That was it.

I had a meeting with all the bands and the managers. And all the crew had gone on to the next show, so we got them on the phone, and we tried to come up with a unanimous decision about whether we should go home or whether we should go on. And the vote came out, after hours of discussion, that we should go on. It was clearly felt that if we packed up and went home, the whole thing would just be unbearable. So we went to…I think it was St. Louis, or somewhere in the Midwest, and we were almost in shock. I could hardly remember any of the words. I don’t know how we got through it. But it was the best tribute I thought that we could make – to carry on and let everybody who was coming to see us know that it was in honor of their memory.

The worst thing for me was that Stevie Ray had been sober for three years and was at his peak. When he played that night, he had all of us standing there with our jaws dropped. I mean, Robert Cray and Jimmie Vaughan and Buddy Guy were just watching in awe. There was no one better than him on this planet. Really unbelievable.

RC: It really does make you wonder – the whole karma of it. 

EC: Yes. Yes. Well, there's just no way to make any sense of it. 

I still have a framed clipping from the local newspaper announcement for SRV.  In a strange way his passing so early inspired me those many years ago to make a point of seeing people play live if I really enjoyed their work.  SRV played the PA club in Garnder Ma - a tiny shithole of an outdoor venue 30 min from my home. I figured I would catch him another time and then he was gone.  I caught Tom and the boys over 10x and Mudcrutch the one time they came to Boston.  I've seen Jimmy Vaughan a few times too.  I've lost count of how many times I saw Buddy Guy as the man is a relentless performer coming around my way at least 2-3x a year, I "only catch him" on one of those trips typically but its got to be 15-20 of his shows at this point.   I don't constantly go to shows but I go as often as I reasonably can. It helps that a lot of artists I enjoy prefer smaller venues and do not command Fleetwood Mac ticket prices so I can get really good seats in a small venue for under 100 per ticket....     RIP SRV

Streaming Neil Young's new one - Tuscaloosa - from the NYA website.  Everything in his entire catalog is available to stream in high definition - for $20 a year to subscribe.  An incredible value if you're a fan of Neil.  How much would we like the TPATH camp to do the same thing?   20 bucks?  For a year?   But back to Tuscaloosa - a live show from early 1973.  A mixture of "Harvest", "Time Fades Away", and "Tonight's The Night".  My favorite period of his career.  This is holy grail stuff for a Neil Young maniac like me. The record will be released in another day or 2.

22 hours ago, TomFest said:

Streaming Neil Young's new one - Tuscaloosa - from the NYA website.  Everything in his entire catalog is available to stream in high definition - for $20 a year to subscribe.  An incredible value if you're a fan of Neil.  How much would we like the TPATH camp to do the same thing?   20 bucks?  For a year?   But back to Tuscaloosa - a live show from early 1973.  A mixture of "Harvest", "Time Fades Away", and "Tonight's The Night".  My favorite period of his career.  This is holy grail stuff for a Neil Young maniac like me. The record will be released in another day or 2.

Q: An incredible value if you're a fan of Neil. How much would we like the TPATH camp to do the same thing?   

A: Is the Pope a Catholic?!?!?! Yes, that's a genius idea!

Okay, so if you're a maniac Neil Young fan - & even if you're not - you might be interested in something I was listening to. 

• Podcast = Cocaine and Rhinestones (stories & history of country music).
  • Episode 13 = CR013 Rusty & Doug Kershaw: The Cajun Way
  • Narrator & researcher is Tyler Mahan Coe. (Tyler's father & former band-leader is country singer David Allen Coe, if that's a name familiar to you at all).

You probably know all of these stories anyway. And for other people, I can highly recommend this too - if you're interested in musicians, families, Cajun culture or how one of the most-covered songs ever (Louisiana Man) came into existence. Towards end of episode, Tyler tells stories behind liner notes Rusty Kershaw wrote for Neil Young's album On The Beach. Also discusses some of Rusty Kershaw's contributions to Neil Young's studio sessions. Fascinating people.