Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

What Music Are You Listening To Right Now?

3 hours ago, nurktwin said:

I'm listening to "Tom Petty's Buried Treasure" shows on Sirius Radio and writing down songs to use on my "Rock N Roll Video's Of The Day" post. I have an excellent video for tomorrow, so tune in and check it out!!

Genius idea Nurktwin. 

Nurktwin,

.... there's also that wonderful interactive graph / dataset that Casa Dega posted recently.  Buried Treasure Playlist Graph. During quiet time in our Christmas break I explored it & found you can get track listings for every artist Tom Petty played on his radio show. The chart that appeared on the screen is a summary & only shows some of the artists, but once you explore, all the other artists appear too. I'm assuming this is a complete set, but CasaDega would be the one to ask.

And yes, I also started writing down some of the covers intending to be keeping eye out for them in archival footage etc. 😀

Maybe drawing on  CasaDega's dataset might help to make your task a little quicker? I found it a tad confusing at first but once we figured it out it was very logical. Maybe CasaDega might be on call to consult?  Anyway, just a thought. To state the obvious, you're a free & independent person & please do go ahead & compile your list in your own way.  Just know I am VERY keen to see/hear the results!!! 

I been digging into Rick Nelson the last couple of weeks.  This is the Stone Canyon Band at the Troubadour in 1969.  Great record and great band.  That's Randy Meisner on bass and harmony vocals before he left for bigger things.  Can't miss him.   

w o w ... I can’t believe I found this song online again... I look around for it periodically.. it’s been gone for years.. I bought the cd , Don Henely, Actual Miles, when it came out in 1995, and this song , In the Garden of Allah ,has since been a favorite of mine.. , Stan Lynch and Don were the writers .. 

Justin Johnson

16_06_justin.jpg.9fa401c70bcea8d219cde24c8db5976c.jpg

Has someone mixed the DNA from Tom and Mike? (Only kidding. Though if someone said he's Mike's nephew, I'd believe them. Look at those hands! So,  yeah, to clarify, he's not related to them at all.)

According to justinjohnsonlive.com Justin Johnson comes from a musical family - his 1st guitar was a Stella with one string. He's fascinated by blues & roots music. As a contemporary muso, making his start, he (& his partner, now wife) lived on the road, touring, in a camper van for the past 5 years. He's released about 4 albums - playing every instrument in the earlier ones. They are now based in Nashville, recording most recent album as a band, produced by John Carter Cash. 

1. There's YouTube footage of him performing at festivals &, you know, casually ripping a masterpiece while sitting on his back porch. Recording blues at a Mississippi crossroads by a graveyard at midnight. 
  2. But more amazingly, look for footage of him playing vintage & unusual instruments (cigar box guitars, shovel guitars).
  3. And videos of him patiently teaching / talking about techniques for slide & finger picking.

Frankly, any one of these is enough to win me over. I don't know if he "carries his guitar in a gunny sack", but it would not surprise me. This is a guy who makes guitars out of whatever's lying around.