Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

What Music Are You Listening To Right Now?

A podcast about country music called "Cocaine and Rhinestones" written & presented by Tyler Mahan Coe.

Very well researched by the sounds of it, using sources including published books, word of mouth stories and even archives in Nashville. First series is available (14 episodes) and he's currently working on his 2nd series. 

His episode about Merle Haggard's Okie From Muskogee is fascinating. 

^^^^:D

Keith Richards in Life:

• I absorbed so much from Gram, that Bakersfield way of turning melodies and also lyrics, different from the sweetness of Nashville - the tradition of Merle Haggard and Buck Owens, the blue-collar lyrics from  the immigrant world of the farms and oil wells of California, at least that's where it had its origins in the 50s and 60s. That country influence came through in the Stones. You can hear it in "Dead Flowers," "Torn and Frayed," "Sweet Virginia" and "Wild Horses," which we gave to Gram to put on the Flying Burrito Brothers record Burrito Deluxe* before we put it out ourselves. 
  • We had plans, or at least great expectations, Gram and I. You work with somebody that good and you think, we've got years, man, no rush, where's the fire? We can put some really good stuff together. And you expect it to evolve.

I def recommend looking beyond the main scandal stories about Gram Parson's life.  I admit I was guilty of this, but didn't realise it for a while. (Because I'm an idiot, I guess). His song-writing with "Streets of Baltimore" = you just know it ain't gonna end well, as (no offence to the fine city) it's not where many people dream of going. 

* Burrito's version = far superior to Stones, imho. Stones were playing a version of country they learnt from him, whereas Gram was already country.

This, below, is a poster from a series by music journalist Pete Frame. I hope you can expand the image okay. Or if not, look online for an image in "family trees" Pete Frame. 

image.thumb.jpeg.4a0e2b83dbba152be59441a56c58f0fa.jpeg

Ha! "Streets of Baltimore" is a great song!  Yes, it's the murder capital of America, but it's still a cool song!  I like that family tree.  There's a Clapton one just like it that I got years ago. Was it in the "Slowhand" album?  Can't remember.  There's a lot of cross pollination in the music world, no matter the genre.

Anyway, Gram was an interesting guy. Kind of an enigma in some ways.  Seems like he makes the wrong decision pretty consistently in his life.  Just when he's about to have some kind of breakthrough success, he finds a way to mess it up.  I'm about halfway through "Twenty Thousand Roads", if you've read that.  Complicated guy, and straight up "country", really.  The "rock" part of "country rock", not so much really.  But that's OK with me - I grew up on Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Merle Haggard, George Jones, etc.  That is exactly the "country" that Gram loved. 

Baltimore is the murder capital of US - oh no that's terrible for them! Not exactly a municipal slogan that suits bill-boards or the side of city council trucks, is it?

Yeah, having an illustration of at least some of that musical cross-pollination is very handy, as otherwise it can be very confusing.  I'm grateful for any graphic designers who are prepared to give it a go & this one suits my style. I'll be looking out for the Clapton family tree.  

Ha! I have just finished Keith Richard's Life (a Christmas present) so will also be looking out for 20 Thousand Roads next.  Jeez, some people do go through phases where they unerringly seek out many of the worst possible options.  I guess many of us do this to some degree... I know my great-aunts were judging me hard by some of my choices (even though I thought then & still think now that those were pretty tame decisions).  Who knows, maybe if Gram'd lived a few more years he might've left his time of great confusion behind, or gained greater resilience.  On other hand, from what I've read so far, his folks were pretty solidly messed up too, so he was on thin ice even before entering the world of music. Thanks for the tip, as it's a book I've never heard of until now.  One of the nice things about sites like this, hey?

Okay, linking back up with an earlier post - & this'll cheer anyone up even if they live in Baltimore - here's Okie From Muskogee. 

37 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Speaking of serious cash benders.. take a look at this mad hatter..

which brings us to this classic album.... 😎🎩

On 9/6/2018 at 11:18 PM, RedfordCowboy said:

Album Artwork

TPHB MINDBENDER.jpg

TPHB MINDBENDER2.jpg