Sign in to follow this  
Refugee

What Music Are You Listening To Right Now?

1 hour ago, TomFest said:

Hey - there's a good trivia question.  Name a song covered live by both Led Zeppelin and Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers?

There may be more than one, but the one I'm thinking of, I"ll give...some...one else a shot at it first since I just listened to it the other day.

Here's a somewhat related question. Have the Dirty Knobs ever covered Zeppelin? And what's a Zeppelin tune that TPATH could've covered?

cheers

On ‎12‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 1:03 AM, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:
The thing goes on and on and on.

Your post? Please, I've seen daze:ier and confuse:ier. Even wrote some of em myself.

As for your ponderings, it's funny you of all people should seem so.. shall I say sceptical.. when faced with the rare instance of having your dreams served up, all at ones. For a jam man like yourself, not much stuff on this planet top your average Led Zeppelin show. It's all you ever asked for in plentitude. Extend. Expand. Beyond beyond.  

With me, it's the oddest thing really. I hate all that stuff normally. But with Zeppelin it just occasionally strikes me as overloaded. Most of the time I float on it - easily, yes, that's the word - and it's over in no-time. It seem to me like each 10 minutes of their shenanigans equals the fed-up level I reach from just one minute with most other bands. Sure, I don't particularly fancy any band serving up 20 minute drum solos or 1 hour long versions of rock songs - if that is really what you ask me. Not even Zeppelin could make the outlook of any such extremes seem anything but grim. Agreed. It's so far beyond the tolerable, even with them. That said, it's the most beautiful thing to me, the way they sometimes lose themselves in deep space hyper drive, to the extent that Plant - upon returning from a loong, in-the-middle-of-the-song, back stage break with fruit and sandwiches (!?), have no idea how and when to re-enter the song for his upcoming lyrics to finish off the song. That, to me, is pure poetry. There are times when he just gives up. 

----Perhaps this band is what you referred to when you said how TPATH could play the same set every night yet vary up the performances. Pure pointless speculation:

You give me way too much credit for that idea. And you take it way too far, for me to feel any kinship to it. If I even ever said as much, I'm sure reworking songs constantly was just one of many different, hypothetical ideas, designed to introduce some variation to the TPATH set. (Something most people, including Tom, didn't even feel necessary.) I'm sure TPATH could've tweeked some of their songs into this or that direction, make interpretations or whatnot, for a tour or two - much like they did with Kings Highway and other acoustic rearrangements, just to mention an example concept. But I am pretty sure they would never have been the type of band to go that crazy in reworking tons of songs all the time. And I'm glad they didn't. The type of style switching you seem to suggest that I asked for, is beyond szchizofrenic, the way you put it above. I would not approve of such idea, I don't think most jam bands even do that. At least not the good once, with character. They stay within their universe and prove well enough how vast and expansive it is, beyond the narrow minded idea of how a certain song happen to sound on the original studio LP recording. Nah, I'd say that the idea of rotating more songs - certainly between tours, but also within tours - always was my main core of argument. Just to set it straight. 

---Shelter, would you have preferred IGTBK had the outro jam been more unstructured, instead of the meandering spacey-jam  concluded the same way? 

I would have preferred if they treated any live IGTBK the way they treated Even The Losers on the "A Bunch of Videos...." release. 

37 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Your post? Please, I've seen daze:ier and confuse:ier. Even wrote some of em myself.

Ha!

38 minutes ago, Shelter said:

it's funny you of all people should seem so.. shall I say sceptical.. when faced with the rare instance of having your dreams served up, all at ones. For a jam man like yourself, not much stuff on this planet top your average Led Zeppelin show. It's all you ever asked for in plentitude. Extend. Expand. Beyond beyond.  

It's definitely a bit ironic. Certainly my criticisms would be more towards elements of their live shows that go to an awful extreme, like I mentioned before the drum solos, the guitar-bow solo (sometimes 10mintues of it!) and perhaps the worst of all, the bow noise solo in the '77 tour. Oh, with special mention for the White Summer solos, having some neat playing and drums devolve into needless noodling. Like I said in one thread or another, a three hour show is tops but on closer examination a good half hour could be given over to the soloing, sometimes more than that.

40 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Most of the time I float on it - easily, yes, that's the word - and it's over in no-time. It seem to me like each 10 minutes of their shenanigans equals the fed-up level I reach from just one minute with most other bands.

Yes, I get that. When they're on, it was pretty impressive, sudden tempo changes, neat riffs, impeccable bass playing.

42 minutes ago, Shelter said:

it's the most beautiful thing to me, the way they sometimes lose themselves in deep space hyper drive, to the extent that Plant - upon returning from a loong, in-the-middle-of-the-song, back stage break with fruit and sandwiches (!?), have no idea how and when to re-enter the song for his upcoming lyrics to finish off the song. That, to me, is pure poetry. There are times when he just gives up. 

Nicely said. Fruit and sandwiches huh? I'm sure.

43 minutes ago, Shelter said:

The type of style switching you seem to suggest that I asked for, is beyond szchizofrenic, the way you put it above.

Extreme examples yes, but in light of the relatively locked in set from tour to tour, I think it less schizophrenic and more liberating. Or perhaps just a little bit of lunacy, maybe even a taste, one could say of, oh, uh...of some full moon fever. 

45 minutes ago, Shelter said:

Nah, I'd say that the idea of rotating more songs - certainly between tours, but also within tours - always was my main core of argument. Just to set it straight. 

Hm. For some reason I thought you'd advocated for more musical interpretation (though not to the degree I suggested) from show to show within the same set list. 

Did I just say set list? Well...heck. I suppose that's my other criticism of the live zeppelin.Definite variance from tour to tour but couldn't they have threw in some more deep cuts? Fair enough, Jones can really play piano, (and organ and clavinet and bass) but maybe shave off ten minutes from No Quarter and play some Ozone Baby. 

But yes, for a band that essentially stuck to the same set night to night on a tour, they certainly took some songs into as you said, into "deep space hyperdrive."

51 minutes ago, Shelter said:

I would have preferred if they treated any live IGTBK the way they treated Even The Losers on the "A Bunch of Videos...." release. 

Wow, I didn't know you had such enmity for the song. Was it because:

a) they turned it into a 12 minute jam?

b) you just don't like the song, four minutes or twelve it stinks

c) not only was it a 12 minute jam but it was played on a lot of tours from '95.

d) all of the above

Well, how about any other song TPATH stretched out? Would you have liked them to have had their own version of dazed, perhaps not going into the twenty minute range but something that continually morphed and expanded from night to night?

29 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

Wow

Well. Musically, it's a great song. Moreover, a song that really benefits from a dreamy extended live treatment. So much so that it's pushed into a higher sphere of existence each time. (The way some songs seem to do.. Crystal River, anyone? ) Yet, IGTBK was done a few dozen times too many, in a few dozen ways too few. That is, to me the song itself isn't eternally grand enough; it inevitably became way too routine, way too quickly (within just a few tours....). And. Add to this the painfully few of Tom's greater lyrical moments that are aboard... and, yeah.. no.. it's not enmity, it's just boredom, really. 

Thus, IGTBK long since reached the point where just thinking about it (kinda like what happened when they included Even The Losers among the titles for ABOVASOS without really including the song itself) is good enough for me. I like it ok, I just don't need to hear it no more.

I still enjoy the dreamy treatment they gave it in concert but I can understand why you (and others) had tired of the song. I think there was a time on the official boards when they were still open to all that some mentioned how tired they were of the song or what a relief it was that it had been retired for a time around the Last Dj record.

5 minutes ago, Shelter said:

I like it ok, I just don't need to hear it no more.

Returning once more to the moot topics, but can you think of another song in their repertoire that could've been a big jam number or as I mentioned before their version of what Dazed & Confused was. I think Two Men Talking and Melinda come to mind though the latter was mainly a Benmont showcase. 

14 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

I still enjoy the dreamy treatment they gave it in concert but I can understand why you (and others) had tired of the song. I think there was a time on the official boards when they were still open to all that some mentioned how tired they were of the song or what a relief it was that it had been retired for a time around the Last Dj record.

That was me, surely. Or at least one of my soul mates.

15 minutes ago, MaryJanes2ndLastDance said:

can you think of another song in their repertoire that could've been a big jam number or as I mentioned before their version of what Dazed & Confused was. I think Two Men Talking and Melinda come to mind though the latter was mainly a Benmont showcase. 

Putting the comparison to D&C aside, for the sake of decency, I think many of their songs lend themselves to jams. Melinda IS a jam, as I see it. Perhaps why it never ended up on record. Aside for perhaps certain well and tightly constructed dittys like Yer So Bad, Apartment Song and Big Weekend.. most of them could work. Some are more obvious than others, they could have gone even further than they did with most of that jammy Mojo stuff, Shadow People, Mary Jane, Crystal River, but there are of course less obvious ones that would've have been interesting.. say Luna... Straight Into Darkness would be wild, surely... Can't Stop The Sun for sure.. Lost Children perhaps…  House in The Woods... Walkin From The Fire... there are just too many, man. As long as they stayed away from any drum solo longer than 30 seconds and obeyed the general 20 minute per song curfew... that is.

3 minutes ago, Shelter said:

most of that jammy Mojo stuff, Shadow People, Mary Jane, Crystal River, but there are of course less obvious ones that would've have been interesting.. say Luna... Straight Into Darkness would be wild, surely... Can't Stop The Sun for sure.. Lost Children perhaps…  House in The Woods... Walkin From The Fire... there are just too many, man.

Nice selections. Yep. Shadow People almost seemed like it could've taken IGTBK's spot, though I think it was wise they brought the latter back for the 40th.

3 minutes ago, Shelter said:

As long as they stayed away from any drum solo longer than 30 seconds and obeyed the general 20 minute per song curfew... that is.

I think giving Stan or Steve three minutes or three minutes while accompanied by some rhythm guitar and Ron or Howie on bass would've been good. Maybe a one time twenty minute jam for the heck of it would be good at some residency, some amazing performance that would be discussed to this day but otherwise, yes, ha ha, curfew, good, I agree.

cheers

from the comments:

Tom Finn

Okay guys, Tom Finn of The Left Banke here. Back in the early weeks of 1966, we created "Walk Away Renée". The 4 Tops weren't even aware of it until it became a big hit later that year.... Let's say November 1966. Anyway, glad you like it, some of you anyway😏 It was written by our piano player Michael Brown, and the entire band was working on the vocals and arrangement. When it became a big hit, we were all surprised.

2 years ago

wcolornyc

Hey Tom...I'm sure you've heard every compliment in the book by now, but please let me add mine. Not only is this an exquisitely beautiful song, one of my all time favorites, but after 50 years i can still close my eyes and be right back in that car with my college friends, speeding down I-75, singing along with it...Thank you thank you thank you for this beautiful music that will live long after we've all departed.

2 years ago

Tom Finn

Hi Jbotnyc, I have heard at least a hundred thousand compliments, but yours, is special, very special. I can hear the yearning in your words that makes me feel great all over. You stated yourself beautifully and I thank you from my heart ~ Tom Finn The Left Banke

2 years ago

In a shop with storms outside pushing people (dripping wet) inside + Christmas shoppers (looking for stuff) + staff (carrying boxes from out the back)... carols on the shop's loudspeakers...

suddenly ka-boom Rudolph & his red nose stops 1/2 way through & it's only Sweet Home Alabama (!!!) followed by Freebird & other great guitar- based songs (at least until I bought what I needed & escaped). Oh man, whoever was in charge of that music cheered up a lot of people!