Sign in to follow this  
nurktwin

Question of the day 3/6/12

With the cost of oil so high, making asphalt for roads is getting more expensive every year. So why don't they clean up all the dumps around the world that are loaded with used tires and shred them (they contain oil) and make rubber asphalt to pave roads, driveways, etc.? The ride should be smoother, quieter and your car tires should last longer since it's rubber against rubber. I've heard they did this in Akron, Ohio for the street in front of the Goodyear Tire factory. They already make rubber mulch for garden beds, so why not for paving roads?

Edited by nurktwin

They already make rubber mulch for garden beds, so why not for paving roads?

My guess is that the cost of gearing up for this type of process is cost prohibitive for the typical road contracting company. Just think of all the expensive equipment these companies have that probably would not work without at least modification, or most likely replacement (those big things they use heat oil to thousands of degrees, so I doubt that would work at all for laying rubber roads).

Many good ideas don't make it to market because of the expense of the technology involved. People think wind energy is the answer to all our problems, but do you know what it costs to put up just one of those turbines? Millions of dollars. And then you've got to get the energy from out in the middle of nowhere to someplace that can distribute it where it's needed, and that's very expensive as well, as there is not much infrastructure today. Couple that with the volitile energy market, and there's not much appetite to invest in this industry (and very few companies that can afford to). I suspect something like rubber roads, while a great idea, would suffer a similar fate. (And who knows, maybe governments won't allow them because the cost of maintenance is much higher than traditional asphalt roads.)

To answer the question, it's a low tech example of recycling, but I think donating unused toilettries to shelters is a very good idea. I know people that take free toilettries from every hotel stay and donate them. I'm going to take a bunch of soap/hair care products that are just cluttering up my cabinets and will never be used to a women's shelter near my house.

^ Those companies already say it costs too much, but they just charge higher prices, and where does that leave you? Try something new, what can it do, put us further in debt? I wish I had a company that can charge a fee and also charge fees to recover gas or oil and make a 110% profit!! Try that on your own in this country and you'll be shot faster than JFK. We need to get rid of corporate greed, how much money do these people need?? Would you be satified with $1M a year or is that for paupers?

Our school collects Capri Sun and Kool Aid juice pouches and rinses them out, then makes them into bags and baskets. This helps the kids make a direct connection between what they use and the recycled items, which has motivated many of them to stop throwing their pouches all over the playground.

I'd be more than happy with $1M a year, nurk!! I agree that with all the corporate greed things won't change anytime soon. It continues to make me sick how these people just don't get it. As for recycling I just do my part and hope it helps in some small way.

^ I agree Carol, what's wrong with all people making $1M a year and bring the BB (Bastard Billionaires) down to the level of real people. God knows they aren't real anyway. If there are aliens that are super smart, they must be the super rich people of today that think they know everything. One thing they don't know is how to be human, cuz they may be smart, but they have no common sense. They are dumber than a bag of hammers! They may have a say so now, but they won't in the end!!!!

^Haha good one.

I like the recycled plastic.

I used to buy these pillows at walmart that were really soft and comfortable, and the material was made of recycled water bottles.

I thought it was just the coolest thing.

I have neck problems, so now I either do not use a pillow, or I use a feather one.

But I had bought those pillows in the past one about every three months because they were really nice and fluffy.