Sign in to follow this  
Liberty

Tom Petty to be in "Sound City"

(I'm personally really, really excited for this film! Anyone else?!!?)

http://www.hitfix.com/articles/watch-dave-grohl-interviews-tom-petty-trent-reznor-in-sound-city-doc-teaser

Dave Grohl jammed with Bruce Springsteen and Paul McCartney at the Grammy Awards last night but, according to the new trailer for "Sound City" and the Foo Fighters frontman's comments, there are more "epic" collaborative jams to come.

Grohl is heading up the "Sound City" documentary, which turns the lens on legendary Los Angeles-based Sound City Studios. His old band Nirvana recorded their album "Nevermind" there; other significant rock records like Fleetwood Mac's "Rumours," Rage Against the Machine's self-titled set and Tom Petty's "Damn the Torpedoes" were laid down there. Metallica, Neil Young, Tool, Slayer, Kiss, Queens of the Stoneage and more have also recorded there.

And now it's closed. Which may be why Grohl wanted to document interviews and jam sessions from its walls. A newly posted teaser trailer says that the film will feature chats with Trent Reznor, Petty, Corey Taylor, Josh Homme, Fleetwood Mac, Nirvana bandmate Krist Novoselic, Cheap Trick, Lars Ulrich and what appears to be countless others, the kind of crew that only someone like Grohl could cull.

The film's website and Facebook say it's "coming soon." It also gives some context for the 20-second snippet of Grohl's jam with Ratt posted last month.

"When Sound City closed last year it was a very sad day,” Grohl told Crave. “That place was like a church. The list of people that recorded there is like a virtual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.... That funky old place had the best drum room in the world. The drum sound at the beginning of ‘Smells Like Teen Spirit?’ That’s Sound City. I decided to make a film about that feeling when you put five guys in a room, hit ‘record’ and the hair on the back of your neck stands up. Expect some epic jam sessions.”

Haha! What an AWESOME trailer! Tom Petty is so cool.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJ2Z5hSj3gI]Sound City - A film by Dave Grohl - YouTube[/ame]

"Wait, wait, wait..." LOL!! I've never heard of this before but sure am lookin' forward to it now. What would I do without all you Farmers to keep me in the know??

Love y'all!

Susan

Preview: Tom Petty, Trent Reznor Reminisce in Dave Grohl's 'Sound City' Documentary

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/preview-tom-petty-trent-reznor-reminisce-in-dave-grohls-sound-city-documentary-20120718?stop_mobi=yes

ByJON BLISTEINJULY 18, 2012 6:30 PM

"That room really did sound just incredible," says Tom Petty in Sound City, Dave Grohl’s upcoming documentary about the legendary Van Nuys, California, recording studio of the same name. Directed and produced by Grohl, the film takes a look at one of music’s most hallowed grounds, a studio that has hosted scores of rock royalty: Petty, Neil Young, Metallica, Cheap Trick, Rage Against the Machine and Grohl's own Nirvana (it’s where they recorded some album called Nevermind).

In this exclusive clip, you can check out Petty, Mick Fleetwood, Butch Vig and Trent Reznor discuss the studio, which was built 1972, and its pièce de résistance: the Neve 8028, one of the best analog recording consoles on the market.

"It’s tube driven, it’s analog," explains John Fogerty. "The bass sounds better, the human voice sounds better."

Adds producer and Garbage drummer Butch Vig, "The Neve has incredible character, probably too much character."

Grohl's directorial debut was inspired by that Neve console, in particular; he also purchased it last year. "Sound City is a film about America’s greatest unsung recording studio," Grohl wrote in a handwritten public letter. "Deep in California’s sunburnt San Fernando Valley, tucked away behind the train tracks and dilapidated warehouses, it was the birthplace of legend."

He added at the end, "Sound City is a film about the truth, the craft, and the integrity of rock & roll. Like the dark hallways of Sound City Studios itself, it might not be pretty... But it’s for fucking real."

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/videos/preview-tom-petty-trent-reznor-reminisce-in-dave-grohls-sound-city-documentary-20120718#ixzz211huuavr

Just so glad to see the new videos, it's interesting to hear Tom and Ben on their first encounters with music. Funny how that leads people into such an amazing life path, isn't it... I mean all it took for me was hearing 'I Want to Hold Your Hand' on the radio as I came running around the house and onto the carport at my friend Marsha's house when I was 7 years old. I stopped in my tracks, transfixed, and thought 'that's not like anything my Daddy listens to!' Looking back in amusement now, my very first musician portrait was of the Beatles that year, created with colored chalk, on a chalkboard in my room. All these years later, and a portrait of Mike is complete with sketches of Tom and Scott waiting to be next on the pro-fesh-un-nul drawing board I work on now - and I still use "chalk" but the expensive serious professional stuff they call Soft Pastels! Crazy world.